March 18th Key West

dctm06

I need some recommendations please! March 18th our ship, Carvinal Fascination, arrives in Key West at 7:30am and departs at 2:30pm. We have never been to key west before (it w/ be myself, husband, 15 yr old and a 5 yr old). City View Trolley tour or the Old Key West trolley tour so we could hop on and off. Would this be our best use of time to see Key West and possibly eat a snack (key lime pie, etc) before we head back to the ship? I am open to any and all suggestions especially pertaining to what you think would work best with kids. Thanks!

Definitely City View Trolley as it is newer, more comfortable and much less expensive.

That is a good way to get an overview and if you see some place that you would like to visit you can always go back after you disembark.

Mike:)

Your kids might enjoy the Butterfly Conservatory on Duval. When my family wanted to go, I didn't have any interest in going, but went to please them. I was so glad I went. It was such a lovely experience. The place is peaceful beautiful. When we went there were adorbale tiny little birds also. The many kinds of butterflies floating around are so gentle and colorful.

Your kids might enjoy the Butterfly Conservatory on Duval. When my family wanted to go, I didn't have any interest in going, but went to please them. I was so glad I went. It was such a lovely experience. The place is peaceful beautiful. When we went there were adorbale tiny little birds also. The many kinds of butterflies floating around are so gentle and colorful.

My daughter and her family did this excursion and we still have a collage of some of the most beautiful photo's from the butterfly conservatory in our home. Really sweet little kids and butterflies is soothing.

I think City View gives you more hop-on-hop-off options, but both are a great way to get an overview of Key West. I agree with the Butterfly Conservancy suggestion. We also have a very unique Aquarium close to the cruise port. One of the City View Trolley stops is Higgs Beach/ Key West Wildlife Center. I am a volunteer at the wildlife center...so I am a bit biased :-)...but it is a rescue/rehabilitation center which cares for native and migratory birds, many of which you can see at the center. There is also a freshwater pond where kids can feed the resident turtles. Enjoy!

I just noticed that the city view trolley does not start running until 9:30am. I "think" we may enjoy going to the aquarium and the southernmost point (just for the photo). Could we walk to both these locations from the port? Keep in mind I have a 5 yr old w/ me and if at all possible do not want to end up carrying him. I was thinking maybe we could just walk to some places instead of the trolley? Or do you think paying the money for the trolley for all 4 of us would be worth it for the couple of hours we will be there. I am guessing we would need to be back on the boat by 1:30pm if it leaves at 2:30pm?

I just noticed that the city view trolley does not start running until 9:30am. I "think" we may enjoy going to the aquarium and the southernmost point (just for the photo). Could we walk to both these locations from the port? Keep in mind I have a 5 yr old w/ me and if at all possible do not want to end up carrying him. I was thinking maybe we could just walk to some places instead of the trolley? Or do you think paying the money for the trolley for all 4 of us would be worth it for the couple of hours we will be there. I am guessing we would need to be back on the boat by 1:30pm if it leaves at 2:30pm?

If you are dead set on seeing the Point, it would probably be best to call a cab to take everyone there. It's about a mile up Whitehead and there's a lot to see along the way, but with the 5 yo it might be better to ride. Then you could work your way back slowly either on Duval or Whitehead with the intention of seeing the aquarum as the last stop. There's a feeding at 3:00 there.

http://www.keywesttaxi.com/

Pjk

if you are dead set on seeing the point, it would probably be best to call a cab to take everyone there. It's about a mile up whitehead and there's a lot to see along the way, but with the 5 yo it might be better to ride. Then you could work your way back slowly either on duval or whitehead with the intention of seeing the aquarum as the last stop. There's a feeding at 3:00 there.

http://www.keywesttaxi.com/

pjk

thank you!

• 1 month later...
I need some recommendations please! March 18th our ship, Carvinal Fascination, arrives in Key West at 7:30am and departs at 2:30pm. We have never been to key west before (it w/ be myself, husband, 15 yr old and a 5 yr old). City View Trolley tour or the Old Key West trolley tour so we could hop on and off. Would this be our best use of time to see Key West and possibly eat a snack (key lime pie, etc) before we head back to the ship? I am open to any and all suggestions especially pertaining to what you think would work best with kids. Thanks!

I just looked at the Key West cruise ship calendar website. There will be 3 ships docking at KW on Mar 18! Freedom (8-5) with 3000 passengers/1100 crew; the Fascination (8-1:30) with 2600 passengers/900 crew; and a German cruise ship (I didn't bother to look up their passenger/crew info). These are massive numbers for such a small place! Can KW handle this many people? I'm wondering if it will be so crowded (i.e., the trolleys, the tours, etc) we won't get to see much of anything! Then I noticed there are 5 ships docked in Nassau on our next port day - geeeeesh!

Yes it will be crowded.

It is not unusual to have three ships on Monday during the cooler months so it is nothing new; but you are correct in that it will be quite crowded during that time.

I called Carnival several days ago (before I saw the 2 others ships in port) and was told the Fascination would be docking at Pier B on 18 Mar; however, the KW website shows we will dock at OM. Here's a copy of the KW schedule for that day http://www.keywestcity.com/eGov/apps/document/center.egov?view=item;id=8723:

Freedom (B) 0800-1700

Aida Aura (M) 0730-1800

Fascination (OM) 0700-1500

At least we may have a :30 min headstart on the other 2 ships :-) I'd just bought trolley tickets online this morning. After seeing the above, I read on the trolley website that ships docked at OM will be shuttled to Mallory Sq as this is a Naval Base and passengers aren't allowed to "walk". I'm assuming this is a security/safety issue which is understandable.

I read on the trolley website that ships docked at OM will be shuttled to Mallory Sq as this is a Naval Base and passengers aren't allowed to "walk". I'm assuming this is a security/safety issue which is understandable.

You are correct.

When Fascination is in port on a Monday it is usually at the Outer Mole, when it arrives on a Wednesday it ports at The Westin (port B).

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Mike for all the info! Wish us luck on that 30 min headstart at KW :-)

Just a follow-up: Docking at Outer Mole wasn't a big deal. We were off the ship about 8:30, conch train was there to meet the passengers. We, along with many others, boarded and were driven to Mallory Square in about 15-min (ride is free, tips appreciated). The "conductor" provided us a guided tour and was very informative. We were deposited at the Conch Train Depot. Then we made our way to the Old Town Trolley, showed them our e-tickets (pre-purchased) and found a seat. After a few minutes, we were on our way. We rode to stop #10 (Southern Most Point) and hopped off. Several hours later, we returned to the Mallory Square conch train stop for the ride back to the ship. We got there about 1pm to see some very very long lines wrapped around the building. We waited maybe 20 min or so for a seat to get back to the ship. All is all...a good day! Docking at Outer Mole will add a little time to your travel plans, so plan accordingly. It's not a deal breaker though. Thanks again Mike for your info...accurate info!

• 2 weeks later...

I have questions about the trolley to the OM. Are you able to stay on for a round trip do you think? What about other drop offs? I hope to get off by the Zachary Taylor Fort but maybe just ride to the end for a look. Just trying to get the picture. Thanks

Will you be docked at the Outer Mole? If so, just ask to get off near Ft Taylor.

You are not allowed to take the trolley to the Outer Mole unless your ship is docked there. That route is complimentary and only takes passengers to and from the ship. You will have to buy a ticket if you want to take the town tour.

Archived