Cancel cruise after final payment?

stevex

Has anyone ever been able to cancel a cruise after making final payment?

We booked our cruise over a year ago, and during that time, NCL changed the ages on the children's program, such that our daughter will no longer be eligible unless one of us stays with her. She'll be two.

We booked the cruise as a tenth anniversary gift to ourselves, with plans for some quiet dinners while the kids were looked after. That's impossible now.

I know normally cancelling is not allowed without losing a significant portion of what we've already paid, but this seems to me to be an exceptional circumstance. I don't even know who to talk to at NCL about it - the cruise consultant we're talking to basically just echoes what's on the website, which doesn't help me.

We booked our cruise over a year ago, and during that time, NCL changed the ages on the children's program, such that our daughter will no longer be eligible unless one of us stays with her. She'll be two.

We booked the cruise as a tenth anniversary gift to ourselves, with plans for some quiet dinners while the kids were looked after. That's impossible now.

I know normally cancelling is not allowed, but this seems to me to be an exceptional circumstance. I don't even know who to talk to at NCL about it - the cruise consultant we're talking to basically just echoes what's on the website, which doesn't help me.

You may cancel anytime you wish, however you should vist ncl.com and look at their cancellation fees.

Okay I should have phrased that differently. I'd like to cancel without losing a significant amount of the money I put down.

The cruise is 40 days away, so we'd be looking at losing 50% of our payment.

Okay I should have phrased that differently. I'd like to cancel without losing a significant amount of the money I put down.

Doubt there is much you can do other than demand to speak with a supervisor and see if they will do anything.

I know normally cancelling is not allowed without losing a significant portion of what we've already paid, but this seems to me to be an exceptional circumstance. I don't even know who to talk to at NCL about it - the cruise consultant we're talking to basically just echoes what's on the website, which doesn't help me.

Do you have travel insurance for this cruise? Some polices will let you cancel "for any reason" and others will not.

When did NCL change their policy?

If they changed it months ago and you are just trying to cancel now I wouldn't think you had a leg to stand on, but if they just changed it after you paid in full I would go up the ladder to a supervisor to see if there is some relief going that route.

Bill

I can definitely understand your frustration... I think asking to speak to a supervisor is a good idea, or maybe try the corporate contact number on the website. There is also a number that comes up if you google "Norwegian cruise complaint department."

If you do get someone else on the line, I would suggest focusing on the fact that you really want to go on the cruise, but you're hoping there is a way for your 2 year old to still participate in the youth program as was advertised when you booked. According to NCL's website, they were still making exceptions for 2 year olds through the end of the year, so hopefully there is someone who can authorize an exception for you considering the circumstances.

I hope everything works out and you are able to enjoy your anniversary with a little peace and quiet!

I spoke with a supervisor (after speaking with numerous other people).

They are sticking with their policy, and were absolutely unapologetic that this change affected me. They told me that it was my responsibility to read the website before making payment, and that there's no way they could waive or reduce the penalty if I choose to cancel.

They also told me there's no way they could have informed the people who were affected by the change, even though they had all the information on hand to do so.

I'm very disappointed with NCL's response here. They're sticking to the letter of the contract, regardless of the circumstances or any duty they might have to good customer support.

Op I am very sorry you are getting the run around about this issue. Unfortunately, however, it does not surprise me. I am a huge NCL fan but TBH their customer service skills on land leave much to be desired. On the ships, however, that is a different scenario. With that being said, I would address my concerns in writing to NCL's Corporate Headquarters in Miami, Florida with a cc to Kevin Sheehan. CEO. I hope this helps and best of luck.

I spoke with a supervisor (after speaking with numerous other people).

They are sticking with their policy, and were absolutely unapologetic that this change affected me. They told me that it was my responsibility to read the website before making payment, and that there's no way they could waive or reduce the penalty if I choose to cancel.

They also told me there's no way they could have informed the people who were affected by the change, even though they had all the information on hand to do so.

I'm very disappointed with NCL's response here. They're sticking to the letter of the contract, regardless of the circumstances or any duty they might have to good customer support.

I understand your disappointment but I don't see those circumstances as enough to change the contract. Business is business. Just my opinion though.

Have you thought about just going anyway so you don't lose so much money? I'm sure they have child care services and you and your spouse could have some nice alone time. No doubt you could still have a great family vacation. Lots of people do.

Cheers.

Oh, and you say "Business is business". When you're in the hospitality business, isn't it good business to leave the customer wanting to return to your company?

This is my third cruise, all with NCL. We have a mini-suite. Mini-suites are sold out on our cruise. If NCL were to let us rebook at a later date (as I've requested) then they'd have the same amount of money from me, and I'd be a happy customer, more likely to continue cruising with them. And they'd easily book our suite to someone else.

Instead they risk losing a customer over it. This is not good business.

Could you bring a babysitter? Book an inside cabin for her, and then let her hang with your little one so you could have alone time? Or leave your little one with a family member at home and take your anniversary trip, just you and your spouse?

That'd be an expensive babysitter. But maybe we can talk some family into coming. We're working on that. :)

I'm sorry that this has happened to you but I do understand NCL's point of view and this change is not that recent that you could not have cancelled without penalties. However they do have the passenger info (knowing that you'll be bringing a toddler) and they could have notified the passengers affected by the change if they really wanted but this seems to be the way of doing business in most companies - I do love NCL but even they have their flaws.

Since you are now in the 50% penalty period, in these circumstances I'd consider that as lost money anyway so I'd have no problem using that amount for getting the babysitter a cabin. By doing that you'd get even better cruise knowing that your "sprout" (love that :)) is taken care of by a person that you know.

I put down a pretty sizable down payment the day I booked. NCL never gives you back 100% no matter how early you cancel so I would have been losing money no matter what.

Yes they will. For holiday season cruises you need to cancel earlier than 90 days before the cruise and for other cruises 75 days before and you will get 100% money back.

http://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

You're right, I misread it.

Still, it wouldn't have helped me since I didn't find out about the policy change until just a few days ago.

If they had notified me sometime before now, I would have cancelled. I guess that's why they didn't.

Seriously, do you go and read the entire website looking for policy changes that might affect you before making payment? I guess I will be in the future, but it seems like the kind of thing you'd only need to do if you didn't trust the company you were dealing with.

Seriously, do you go and read the entire website looking for policy changes that might affect you before making payment? I guess I will be in the future, but it seems like the kind of thing you'd only need to do if you didn't trust the company you were dealing with.

I just stick to reading these boards semi-regularily after booking, that way I'm always up to speed about almost any changes possible. This isn't ideal but people here know more about anything worth knowing about than the customer service reps in the respective companies.

Even though I don't have kids (and probably never will) nor does this change concern me in anyway, even I knew about the change because of the numerous topics that have been posted here since the change was publicized. Too bad that you just found out, I really feel for you.

Here's a thread from back in August that discusses the change in age cutoff from 2 to 3.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1688189

It would have been nice for NCL to email passengers affected by the change even though legally they may not be required to.

Note to self: re-research cruise before final payment to see if anything has changed.

The other option here is to go on the cruise...together as a family...and enjoy your family vacation...together. Spend and enjoy some good quality family time with your little sprout...don't simply dump them in a day care center like they are some sort of detriment to "your" vacation time. Remember...you are a family now...no kid wants to go someplace exciting and new with Mom and Dad only to be dumped off with strangers.

When all is said and done, you'll appreciate having the family time. The kid(s) will grow up fast, but you have the rest of your lives together to have "alone time". If you need the time together that badly, get a babysitter and take the time while you are at home...before and/or after the cruise.

You can plan a family vacation or a Mom/Dad only vacation, but you'll run into difficulty trying to take the family when you really want Mom/Dad only time.

They told me that it was my responsibility to read the website before making payment,

They do have a point on that one. The change sucks but it's hard to argue that one. I, too, learned the hard way on changes to cruises so I always double check all of the details.

I do have a question: when we don't get our way, why is it that a company's customer service sucks? and / or At what point are we responsible for a company sticking to it's policies?

Archived