Just back from the Wind June 1

Kayelache

I'll post a full report in a couple of days, we got home just a few hours ago.

Our heads are still on Hawaii time, and we just need to get some sleep after the all night flight home. Let me just say the cruise was wonderful, and we would do it again in a heartbeat. I don't know where all those negative reports were coming from, we thought the whole experience was great. Also, we spent not one dollar on shore excursions booked through the ship, rented cars on all islands for an average of under $30 for us all. Now for some sleep and I;ll be back with more details tomorrow morning,.

Would like to hear about this cruise and what you saw on the islands. We're going out on July 2.

Did you only port in Lahaina? Heard on another post that they are back to docking in Kahului and then Lahaina the next day.

Welcome home!

Hello Kayelache,

Glad you arrived home safe.

We stayed an extra day and just got home today. Still recovering from long flight.

We loved the Wind, the staff, food, entertainment and service was the BEST! I do not know where all the negative reports came from either.

I will right more once we have recovered.

Here goes my report on our cruise on the Norwegian Wind, May 21-June 1. We are seniors, my husband is 92, and uses a wheelchair. We treated my sister, age 65 to her first real cruise. and her first time in Hawaii. This was our 23rd cruise, our fourth on NCL. We cruised on the Star in Hawaii two years ago, but were not able to get to Fanning Island due to a medical emergency.

We arrived in Honolulu on Thursday, May 19. We picked up our rented car (Budget, had to get a minivan to handle the three of us, my husband's wheelchair and our luggage) and headed for the Renaissance Illikai. We got a terrific rate on this four star hotel, $127 per night, and were upgraded to an ocean view room on the 27th floor. After a quick swim, we ate at a little sandwich shop down the street, then sat out by the pool watching the excellent music and hula show.

Saturday we got to Hanauma Beach very early, before 7AM. It was practically empty at that hour, but by the time we left, at 10, the crowds were there. The parking lot was full, and they weren't letting any more cars in. The snorkeling was great. They had free wheelchairs with big tires available, and my husband and I rode the shuttle to the beach for free. Think it normally costs (non-handicapped) a dollar. After the swim, we spent the rest of the day driving around the island. We stopped at many beaches, also the Dole Pineapple Plantation for a pineapple whip, coupon in one of the free books (available at the airport) got us a free one when you buy two. Also stopped later for shave ice.

Sunday morning, we were in line for the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor before seven. They start giving out tickets (free) at 8AM, but when we got there, the line was already a block long. We got in the first group, and had finished the tour by 9:30. It was our second time there (my sister's first) but just as moving an experience as the first time. We still had time before we could get on the ship, so we spent an hour or so at the Aloha Stadium flea market. Good bargains, at a fraction of the prices found elsewhere. Ten t-shirts for $20, for instance.

At noon, we checked our luggage at Aloha Tower and headed for the airport to return the car. Taxi back to the pier cost us $18. We were in our cabin within twenty minutes. Very efficient embarkation. Our luggage had not yet arrived, and we were starving, so we headed for the Sports Bar for lunch. Bad choice, every other passenger already on board was also there. We ate a couple of breakfasts there, on port days when we were in a hurry (they open at 7 while Terraces did not open until 7:30). It was always crowded, and almost impossible to get the wheelchair down the very narrow aisles.

It took a couple of days to get the lay of the ship. On the upper decks, 11 and 12, it is not always possible to get from one end of the ship to the other without encountering stairs. Often, you had to go down a deck then across to another elevator, then up.

After we came back from lunch, we found our luggage had arrived. Our cabin, 7048 on the prominade deck, was roomy enough for three of us, just barely. The area next to the window had a loveseat that made into the third bed. There was plenty of room under our bed (we had the twin beds converted to a king) for all of our suitcases, six for the three of us. Drawer space was very limited, four small drawers under the desk (that served as a tv stand) and shelves in the two closets. I'm glad we brought along a dozen extra coathangers, we used them. A port lecture on Hilo was scheduled for immediately after the 5PM boat drill, we sat through part of it, then left for the 6PM Cruise Critic meeting that Shay had arranged. We were the only others there of the some 35 who had joined the "roll call." We ate dinner in Four Seasons, for the first and last time. It is small and crownded, compared with Terraces. Same menu in both restaurants. Lunch there never seemed so crowded.

We ate most of our dinners in Terraces. Only once did we have any wait for a table, and that was only five or so minutes. We also ate 8 out of eleven breakfasts there. We did eat one dinner in La Tratoria, the Italian restaurant.

The food there was excellent, and the best taramisu I've ever had. We never did get to Le Bistro, we thought we would go there on a night when the regular dining rooms menu did not appeal to us, but that never happened!

The service in the restaurants was very good, and food very, very good. My husband particularily enjoyed the cold soups, a different variety every meal, both at lunch and dinner. Coconut and guava was his all time favorite. We ate most of our lunches (on sea days) in Four Seasons, but one day we did try the pizzeria, which was good. We never did try the deck barbeques.

Entertainment:

The Jean Anne Ryan production numbers were very good. The finale, Sea Legs Cirque, particularily good.

There were two groups of comedians, neither of whom we cared for.

The Hawaiian Cowboy who did impersonations of singers was outstanding.

The Stardust Lounge is not at all handicapped friendly. The only places where we could put the wheelchair were in the front row or the last row. The front row usually was full half hour before the shows began, so we learned to get there early.

Ports:

Hilo: We rented a car, again through Budget, and drove to Volcanos National park.

Maui: My husband's neice lives there, so she rented a 4 wheel drive minivan and took us on the Hana road around Haleakala. It was a wonderful day of beaches and waterfalls. The following day, she met us at Lahaina, and we found a beach and snorkeled. She had to go to work at noon, so we three spent the afternoon exploring the town, and took the shuttle to Hilo Hatties.

We sat outside, eating rainbow shave ice, watching a beautiful rainbow over the mountains.

Kauai: Another rented car, this time through Hertz. Total cost, including gas was $26.80. We drove to Waimaia Canyon, stopped at all the overlooks. Some ne ne geese were begging for handouts in the parking lot. On the way back, we stopped at a beach for a quick swim. Back at the pier, we had an hour before we had to board, so we took the shuttle to Walmart. There was also a Princess ship in port, and it seemed a lot of people from the two ships had been there, the souvenirs were really picked over.

Fanning Island: I'm so glad we got there, it was the highlight of the trip. The soap bubble kits we brought for the kids went over big. Others had brought then balloons, toy airplanes and color books, we noticed. The shopping was great, shell necklaces for $1, shell bowls for $5, knives with bone and sharks teeth for $5, palm frond hats for $2 Lots of good bargains on crafts. We walked the mile or so to the NCL school. There are 268 students in 8 classes in the primary school. When we got back to the dock area, lunch was being served. a suprisingly good barbeque. We got our passports stamped, and got back to the ship just in time for the crew show, which was hilarious, one act a bit raunchy but very funny.

Kona: Every passenger had to "present ourselves" to custom officials before we could get on the tenders. Only two officials on board, and it was 9:30 befpre we got off the ship. We rented a car again, through Thrifty this time, and had to pick it up at the airport, some 8 miles away. We had a twenty minute or so wait for the shuttle, which comes every hour. We didn't drive very far, just to Kahulu'u Beach, also known as Turtle Beach, some five miles south of Kailua. It's said to be the best snorkeling in Hawaii, and I believe it.

There were literally THOUSANDS of fish swarming, and a number of huge sea turtles.

Shipboard activities:

Cathy Foy, former Miss Hawaii, was the Hawaiian Ambassador who did a terrific job with craft classes- making three kinds of Leis, orchid, kukui nut and ribbon. Also, she taught the hula classes. My sister participated in that. I have two left feet.

The Polynesian group did a magnificent show one night, and also had palm frond weaving classes every sea day, and also did tatoos, with a semi permanent marking pen (the tatoos lasted about four days)- lots of fun we got several.

The usual bingo (sea days only) ,bridge lessons, trivia contests etc.

The art auctions had the most sales of any we've seen on any cruise. A lot of people were buying art.

The lectures were varied- from teeth whitening to genealogy to Hawaiian history.

Overall, we were extremely pleased with every aspect of the cruise. We were a little concerned after reading some of the reviews on this board, but everything far exceeded our expectations. We'd do it again in a heartbeat.

One final note. My husband had not seen his only surviving brother for 38 years, he had moved several times, and we lost touch with him. Over the years we had tried many times to locate him, and last winter, I finally succeeded. We've been in touch by phone and e-mail, but it didn't look like we would ever actually get together. A few days before the end of our cruise, he came from Florida to visit his daughter on Maui. She arranged for them to fly to Honolulu to spend the day with us after we disembarked, as our plane did not leave until 9PM. It was a very emotional meeting for these two brothers, aged 88 and 92. She rented a minivan, and we stopped at Safeway for makings for a beach picnic. It was a wonderful visit, that made the perfect ending for a fabulous vacation!

Karen,

I am so happy for Albert to have re-united with his brother that was a Very Special way to end a Wonderful Vacation.

Glad the 3 of you enjoyed the cruise as much as we did.

I just checked the Roll Call and see Cuppy checked in, she was sorry to have missed us at the meeting place by 5 minutes.

Mahalo

I posted my review yesterday (through the review section) it will be a while before it is posted.

If I get time (back to work tomorrow) I will cut and paste it on the NCL board.

Mahalo

Archived