Spinalonga

We did this on our own about 3 years ago when our booked excursion was cancelled.

We got a bus from the dock (only a few feet from the ship) to the bus station, then a bus to Elounda, and a boat from there. They gave us an hour to look around before the boat came back for us. It was really easy, helped by a nice lady from the bus company who had a little kiosk at the dock. And much cheaper than the ship's tour would have been, but we missed having a guide to tell us what was what.

There are boat trips from the dockside by the ship, but they take a bit longer, and at the time they didn't leave until after 12 o'clock, and wouldn't have got us back in time for our 4 or 5 o'clock sailing.

kate

We are cruising on the Majesty in june and are stopping at Aghios Nikolas

and i would like to visit Spinalonga, but not with aorganised trip from the ship.Can we do it on our own from Aghios Nikolas.

One thing I would say, if you are going to DIY, get an early bus over. We did the Thomson trip & we were first on the Island - about half an hour later all the other "day trippers" started arriving in very large numbers - we got to see it before it got busy. As we were leaving the Island, more & more people were piling on - it wasn't pleasant! Not sure if all the boat trips do the same, but the boat we went on took us all the way around the island afterwards to see it all the way round from the sea which was nice. The Thomson guide was excellent; gave us a really good history of the Island and really brought it to life; much better than reading it from a guide book so might be worth trying to get a guide too. We loved the Thomson trip & it was worth every penny!

We decided to do the Thomson trip to Spinalonga, and we would probably say it was one of the best trips we've gone on. It's great being able to be taken around the island when nobody else was on there, as afterwards it looked like it was getting really busy. The guide is excellent, and they take you for a meze style lunch in Elounda right by the sea, before having free time to wonder around or go to the beach.

Usually I'd recommend to DIY, but because you beat the crowds, I'd definitely say to do the Thomson excursion - well worth the money for it. :)

We decided to do the Thomson trip to Spinalonga, and we would probably say it was one of the best trips we've gone on. It's great being able to be taken around the island when nobody else was on there, as afterwards it looked like it was getting really busy. The guide is excellent, and they take you for a meze style lunch in Elounda right by the sea, before having free time to wonder around or go to the beach.

Usually I'd recommend to DIY, but because you beat the crowds, I'd definitely say to do the Thomson excursion - well worth the money for it. :)

I echo everything Sailaway says. You do get time on your own to wander around Spinalonga too so you're not stuck with the group all the time. The lunch really was lovely afterwards; sat in a lovely taverna overlooking Elounda & the bay and we managed to get time on the beach & in the sea afterwards at Elounda which was really nice - the town beach wasn't too far to walk from the restaurant. We got time to look around Ag Nik afterwards when we got back, too!

I agree with everything already said.too. Getting there early so you can get something of the atmosphere of the island before the crowds arrive is great and for me the guide brought the island to life. I'd read the book but hadn't imagined it anything like it is - and to have the hospitial, two churches with their very different uses etc pointed out to you and the history told from the point of view of both the inhabitants and mainlanders was absolutely fascinating.

Throw in the very good lunch on the floating restaurant on the sea front - it all made for an excellent trip. Enjoy! :)

I'd definately reccommend reading "The Island" by Victoria Hislop before you go. Would give you a good idea of life on Spinalonga during that time period. It's a good book.

Have already read the book twice and will make it three times before i go. Thanks again for all your replies i'm making plans for all the other stops ,one down four to go.

Allison

This is a copy of a post of mine on the same subject from August 2011..

We have done both the Thomson trip and DIY.

Last year we did the Thomson trip ,crossing from Elounda.We were there early and had an excellent guided tour though there was very little time to properly explore the island.The trip was followed by a Greek meze meal on the Quayside at Elounda.

This year we went with Nostos Cruises from Agios Nikolaos harbour.The people selling the tickets knew the Celebrations sailing time and explained we would be back in plenty of time to return to the ship.The cost of this trip was 30 euros for the two of us (this doesn't include entrance to Spinalonga)

On the trip across, the ship,the MV Ostaria stops for twenty minutes in the shelter of a couple of islands and opens its rear doors so that everyone who wants to can,if they want, have a swim.There is also a bar and ice-cream etc available on the ship at very good prices,

On arrival at Spinalonga the owners asked all English speakers to remain aboard..I thought here we go..time shares!! but no..the lady gave us a superb talk about Spinalonga which included many pictures of its time as a leper colony.The talk was given with such passion that I was sure she was about to say that her family actually lived on the island!.

It was a Sunday and a Greek heritage day so there was no charge to visit the island..we explored to our hearts content and then boarded the Ostaria for the trip back to Ag.Nik. A superb DIY trip which we would definately do again.

The web site for Nostos Cruises is here.. http://users.forthnet.gr/agn/nostos/

Last edited by Souloggie; August 20th, 2011 at 09:44 AM.

Have already read the book twice and will make it three times before i go. Thanks again for all your replies i'm making plans for all the other stops ,one down four to go.

Allison

If there's any other places you want advice on, fire away!! Have you read "The Return" by Victoria Hislop, also? I loved that book too!

This is a copy of a post of mine on the same subject from August 2011..

We have done both the Thomson trip and DIY.

Last year we did the Thomson trip ,crossing from Elounda.We were there early and had an excellent guided tour though there was very little time to properly explore the island.The trip was followed by a Greek meze meal on the Quayside at Elounda.

This year we went with Nostos Cruises from Agios Nikolaos harbour.The people selling the tickets knew the Celebrations sailing time and explained we would be back in plenty of time to return to the ship.The cost of this trip was 30 euros for the two of us (this doesn't include entrance to Spinalonga)

On the trip across, the ship,the MV Ostaria stops for twenty minutes in the shelter of a couple of islands and opens its rear doors so that everyone who wants to can,if they want, have a swim.There is also a bar and ice-cream etc available on the ship at very good prices,

On arrival at Spinalonga the owners asked all English speakers to remain aboard..I thought here we go..time shares!! but no..the lady gave us a superb talk about Spinalonga which included many pictures of its time as a leper colony.The talk was given with such passion that I was sure she was about to say that her family actually lived on the island!.

It was a Sunday and a Greek heritage day so there was no charge to visit the island..we explored to our hearts content and then boarded the Ostaria for the trip back to Ag.Nik. A superb DIY trip which we would definately do again.

The web site for Nostos Cruises is here.. http://users.forthnet.gr/agn/nostos/

Last edited by Souloggie; August 20th, 2011 at 09:44 AM.

I wonder if that boat was just put on because it was Greek Hertitage Day? Both times we have been to Ag Nik on a cruise, the only boat trips advertised for Spinalonga left too late for us to return before the ship left....

If there's any other places you want advice on, fire away!! Have you read "The Return" by Victoria Hislop also? I loved that book too!
Her latest one, "The Thread" is brilliant too. I love her books :) looking forward to the next one. Unfortunately I gave my copy of The Island to someone. I wish I had asked for it back now.:( I read it after going to Spinalonga and it was so good to picture it all in my head. We went on a trip when we stayed in Stalis. The guide was brilliant. He was an oldish chap who wore a huge sunhat and kept us all in the shade as much as possible while he told the history of the place. Fabulous place. I should like to go again now I have read the book :D

If there's any other places you want advice on, fire away!! Have you read "The Return" by Victoria Hislop, also? I loved that book too!

Oh gosh yes,,,thats an excellent book. She's a very good writer isn't she.

I would echo all the good comments about this trip. We went with Thomson and also enjoyed the hospitality and food in the restaurant afterwards.

Mum and Dad had read the book beforehand and were interested to see the island in real life, I read it afterwards and could picture it all as I read it. Either way it was a very moving experience.

Carol x

Archived