luggage labels

susiemcc

Cutesy Pie Lover, The instruction on the tag page aren't very good but I am familier with Princess print your own luggage tags so that isn't a problem for me.

I've added the fold sequence which is missing from my original picture in spite of what instruction # 5 indicates.

RCtag02_zps47d050a6.jpg

Geez. No wonder there are so many questions about them. Oh, well; I guess that people having difficulties will figure it out sooner or later (or just get tags at the pier terminal, as suggested so many times). Too bad they have to come to a cruise froum to get answers. I'll forward what I have learned on these threads to my relatives, should they have any hiccups.

And, on the topic of these new printable luggage tags, has the Royal Caribbean site tupdated the Luggage Tag topic and mentioned the new printable luggage tags? Anything about them in FAQs?

I cannot find these current instructions.Went to RCI,FAQ and the luggage tag site is totally outdated,it still says everyone is entitled to 5 tags that will be sent to you.

I am very upset with this cost cutting direction of not supplying the luggage tags. I cruised last month under the new system. What a mess.....

I had the porter put the tags on all our bags for a cruise on the Independence out of Ft. Lauderdale... They are not the same quality of the originally tags.

At 10:30 at night I went down the service elevator to the bottom floor to a huge mess..... Luggage everwhere!! everywhere.

There must have been over 100 bags, maybe more, piled all over the place in the halls and in the exit of the ship areas... I looked and looked. Finally when I was about to give up looking, I saw my bag. It was off in another area with about 5 other bags. It was marked with a room that was not one of our 2 mini suites or grand suite. I was shocked at how many bags were not at the rooms at 10:30 at night.

My luggage had regular luggage tags attached for flying. Plus, we used sharpy on beautiful suitcases to mark our names and cells on our bags for all our travels in case the tags ever fell off. This should have made it easy for RCCL to match our room with our bag... but that was not the case.

There was only 2 people tending to all the bags and it was a huge mess......

I expect with the paper tags falling off, this system should go back to the flawless way it used to be done!!!! Those luggage tags were impossible to pull off.

In the past, We also put the extras on our carryons.... Paid off when the kids left a bag behind in the windjammer the first day, 2 years ago. We found the bag returned to us soon after because that tag made it easy.

I cannot find these current instructions.Went to RCI,FAQ and the luggage tag site is totally outdated,it still says everyone is entitled to 5 tags that will be sent to you.

I found this pdf ad (which I posted in another luggage tag thread) using Google.

Not sure how to access it from the site.

Luggagetagpdf_zps7eb4f5df.png

I expect with the paper tags falling off, this system should go back to the flawless way it used to be done!!!! Those luggage tags were impossible to pull off.

In the past, We also put the extras on our carryons.... Paid off when the kids left a bag behind in the windjammer the first day, 2 years ago. We found the bag returned to us soon after because that tag made it easy.

I agree that the tags we've seen the porters put on are pretty flimsy with a single elastic band attaching them to the luggage.

The paper tags that you print yourself are very durable if printed on good stock paper and attached properly. I typically use 4 or 5 staples to attach them, not just two as instructed on the tag. In a test I've been able to lift an almost fifty pound bag by a paper tag. The staples are going through five layers of paper on each end so the joint is quite secure. I've even completely wet out one of my paper tags with water to check the wet fastness. The Lexmark Inkjet printer I have provide a very fast print.

Concerning the airline type adhesive tags it is very easy to separate the ends just by pulling just inside of each end of the joining area in the opposite direct especially if you have left the backing paper on one end as instructed to do. IMO if something were to hook the tag just to the side of the joint and provides a pull sideway of the joint direction it would also separate in a similar way.

You get a more secure joint on the airline type tag by removing the backing paper for an equal amount from both ends so you have one adhesive end applied directly the other adhesive end. Just use the backing paper from the end that you have been instructed to remove as a template for the amount to remove from the other end.

Also you can print whatever number of tags you want, even for all of your carry on bags.

I agree that the tags we've seen the porters put on are pretty flimsy with a single elastic band attaching them to the luggage.

The paper tags that you print yourself are very durable if printed on good stock paper and attached properly. I typically use 4 or 5 staples to attach them, not just two as instructed on the tag. In a test I've been able to lift an almost fifty pound bag by a paper tag. The staples are going through five layers of paper on each end so the joint is quite secure. I've even completely wet out one of my paper tags with water to check the wet fastness. The Lexmark Inkjet printer I have provide a very fast print.

Concerning the airline type adhesive tags it is very easy to separate the ends just by pulling just inside of each end of the joining area in the opposite direct especially if you have left the backing paper on one end as instructed to do. IMO if something were to hook the tag just to the side of the joint and provides a pull sideway of the joint direction it would also separate in a similar way.

You get a more secure joint on the airline type tag by removing the backing paper for an equal amount from both ends so you have one adhesive end applied directly the other adhesive end. Just use the backing paper from the end that you have been instructed to remove as a template for the amount to remove from the other end.

Also you can print whatever number of tags you want, even for all of your carry on bags.

Why should I have to go to all that trouble? The old system had the tags all the same and they were easy to see and use.

It takes about 5-10 seconds to apply the old tags, how much time do you invest printing and applying? Plus, you have to print them out and Our printer broke just before our cruise last month.

I have 5 people in my family. Usually 8-9 bags plus each kid has a carry-on. One suit case is just for everyone's shoes. I would rather pay a few bucks more per person and have an easy time of it!!!!! not get nickeled and dimed for the purchase of tags....

We circle the tags, not end to end. THey can still be read fine and they don't come off... I have tried to pull previous years off and been frustrated and had to find a scissors.

I just timed it .

On our cheap Lexmark Inkjet printer it took less than 15 seconds to print one of our luggage tags for our upcoming cruise, another 10 seconds to fold it and about 5 seconds to put in four staples. Total time about half a minute for one tag. I probably could do quicker with a little more practice.

It would probably take less time per tag if one were to make 8 or 9. You could set up a print/assembly line with your kids.

You still have the option of ordering your custom tags but you won't be nickeled and dimed by RC as you will have to pay $35 for printed documents to get this if you aren't C&A Pinnacle or in a Grand Suite or above..

I for one don't want to subsidize through my cruise cost so those people who won't/can't print their own tags can still have custom tags mailed to them for a few dollars. Mailing alone cost more than that amount and there is still printing and labor cost.

NCL still mails regular luggage tags. How are the paper ones? I'm afraid they'd rip and my bag would get lost!

Not to me they didn't. They provided a link to download and print them off e-docs. Do you have to request them from NCL? Thanks

Wish I could have edited my earlier post with the luggage tag pdf image before it timed out. Turns out the ad is from CruisingPower.com

Didn't really know wha that is. Turns out that it's "... a vital resource for travel agents booking individual or group reservations on Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity, and Azamara Club Cruises. This web based program is chocked full of information, brochure and flier templates, and a booking engine for reservations".

So you can get that new info about the new tags from RCI, but through an ad agency.

Wish I could have edited my earlier post with the luggage tag pdf image before it timed out. Turns out the ad is from CruisingPower.com

Didn't really know wha that is. Turns out that it's "... a vital resource for travel agents booking individual or group reservations on Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity, and Azamara Club Cruises. This web based program is chocked full of information, brochure and flier templates, and a booking engine for reservations".

So you can get that new info about the new tags from RCI, but through an ad agency.

Thank you,thank you,best ever.Followed your instructions above post,worked fine. Even my DH stopped complaining of the way I was doing it.:p

You were printing from the edocs and not the Setsail pass? Setsail pass has a sample on the third page showing what the luggage tag will look like and has info if you will be getting luggage tags from a porter at the pier. I don't think your edocs have been issued yet. It is usually 49 days before sailing. I haven't gotten mine for my March 17th cruise. At the end of the edocs there should be the luggage tag page complete with the fold lines, etc. You can print just that page, however many you need.

It was page three of the Setsail pass. Maybe they will print better later.

Have had the fold lines on other cruises, Royal and others, but not this time for some reason. I was surprised to be able to print pass and all after I completed the online check in.

Not to me they didn't. They provided a link to download and print them off e-docs. Do you have to request them from NCL? Thanks

No - they just sent to me like all the cruise lines used to do ... in a book with the cruise docs. Not sure how much longer they will do that, but as of my last cruise, they were still doing it.

It was page three of the Setsail pass. Maybe they will print better later.

Have had the fold lines on other cruises, Royal and others, but not this time for some reason. I was surprised to be able to print pass and all after I completed the online check in.

The bottom part of your set sail pass is just the tag informaton as note in the disclaimer on it that reads below.

Luggage Tags

The images below contain luggage destination information for each person in your reservation and any associated reservations in your SetSail Pass. They are not real luggage tags. Please use official luggage tags for your bags. If you need extra luggage tags, or if you have forgotten to bring your luggage tags with you, the images below can be used by the Porter to create luggage tags at the pier.

guest 1 name

guest 2 name

logo_luggagetag.gif

Stateroom:

XXXX

Deck:

Voyager quadrant_3B.gif

luggage_tag_arrow_bottom.gif

Your eDocs will contain the actual tags with the fold lines as shown in mine above that can be printed as stated by ARCruisinNana.

Why are names not preprinted on the tags?

I guess that would be too difficult for RC's IT staff to figure out how to do. I was elated they were able to get our correct cabin number on ours.:rolleyes:

Actually I modified this PDF document before printing by added our last name as text to that blank area where it should had been.

LOL ok I thought I was the only one confused about the tags. last year in Feb I sailed with a friend who got those Tyvek paper tags mailed to her. Now I finally found the printed ones thanks to this thread. I got an email saying my documents were ready to be printed, only to click the link and have the notice of "You have selected to receive your documents electronically, but they are not yet available. You will receive an e-mail when your documents are ready to download." LOL Yet I was still able to click on the view and print document buttons.

The first time I tried to print off of the "view document" button (ie not off the pdf file) the page settings were WAY off and wasted my ink and paper. Anyway, after folding the tags, five layers do feel quite substantial, but I am still going to tape them over with clear packing tape.

I guess that would be too difficult for RC's IT staff to figure out how to do. I was elated they were able to get our correct cabin number on ours.:rolleyes:

Actually I modified this PDF document before printing by added our last name as text to that blank area where it should had been.

That's probably what I'll do, but I don't really understand why the IT people can't figure it out. They have the cabin #, so it shouldn't be hard to have the name.

Archived