Impact of NOLA St. Patrick's Day parade?

co1ocruiser

Does anyone know what I can expect with the parade? Unfortunatley that is the day that we need to get to the port and I'm trying to figure out if the street car will be working. Any idea what street(s) are affected or the time?

Thanks-still haven't booked a hotel.

We were in NOLA last March (2012) at the same time - St. Patrick's Day. We stayed at the Maison St. Charles (Comfort Inn & Suites) on the east side of the Garden District. The pedestrian activity, parade watchers and participants picked up quite a bit that morning. The little restaurant where we had breakfast that morning was definitely busy but we had no problem staying on schedule. I believe the parade was to be begin around noon or 1:00 p.m. We got in a taxi about 11:00 a.m. and thankfully had a driver who knew his way around - taking alternate streets and turns to miss the more crowded areas. We were at the port in about 10 minutes - no problem.

I think the street car was still running but I cannot state that as fact. Since we were going by taxi, we weren't really concerned with the street car.

Thanks for replying-unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to stay in NO. The hotel rates were really high, and there are 9 in our group, so one room would have to be 2 adults, 3 kids. I couldn't find anything that was affordable for 2 night, 2 rooms, or that accomodate that extra kid. So we are staying in Metairie. I hope we will make it into NO but don't know for sure. :( I am very bummed.

Now--I have to worry about the Metairie parade! Our hotel is on Causeway and I see that Metairie road crosses it...hoping that by leaving before 10:30 (parade is noon) we will make it.

Thanks for replying-unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to stay in NO. The hotel rates were really high, and there are 9 in our group, so one room would have to be 2 adults, 3 kids. I couldn't find anything that was affordable for 2 night, 2 rooms, or that accomodate that extra kid. So we are staying in Metairie. I hope we will make it into NO but don't know for sure. :( I am very bummed.

Now--I have to worry about the Metairie parade! Our hotel is on Causeway and I see that Metairie road crosses it...hoping that by leaving before 10:30 (parade is noon) we will make it.

We stay in Metairie most of the time because it is a LOT cheaper. It's not too far into NO to check things out. Maybe the hotel people can help you with parade traffic.

Good luck and Happy Cruising!!!!!!!!

We got off a ship last year St Patty's day

The area was alot more crowded than the prior week.

The parade was in the evening and that is when they shut down canal street

Archived