10 Ships in Port at GC??

mcbrides

Does that sound possible? I checked http://www.cruisecal.com to see how many other ships would be in port while we're at GC in December, and there are a total of 10 that day! Will the island be a total mad house? I've been emailing our preferred tours to get a reservation immediately because it seems like the tours will fill up fast with that many people. Has anyone ever been to GC with this many ships in port?

Hi,

When will you be in GC. We will be there dec 1st and cruise cal shows 11 ships in port. I already booked with Nativeway, because I did not want to loose out on being able to do the tour we wanted. I can't imagine how crazy it will be.

Nancy

Zydeco...........are they all (the tender ports) in the same general area?

Yep. North and South are about on top of each other and the new one is not far. Hence the gridlock around the tenders area.

I was there last November - the first time with 4 ships in port since IVan and again in March when there were 7 (or was it 8?) ships in port. The new one wasn't really completed, but they were using partially. It could have taken more ships.

new_old.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Eleven (11) ships are listed to be at Cayman Port on Nov 17!! That's when we are to be there on Westerdam -- WAY TOO MANY SHIPS & WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE!!

Wish our ship would reverse itinerary & then would be at Cayman with only 2 other ships!!!

How can that port possibly handle tendering of 11 ships??

Wow, that's a lot. That's almost 24,000 passengers on the ships! I hope they don't all get off...

I've noticed Thursdays' are the worst. We are planning a week there, and when I saw the cruise ships list, I planned on us arriving on a Thursday and leaving on a Thursday. The other days aren't as bad. I've read at several different places that they limit the number of cruise ship passengers allowed on the island at 6,000. I guess they have changed that policy.

Wow,11 ships!! That is a crazy amount of people! When I was there in April there were 7 ships(including us) and when we were shopping in town it was PACKED! The chaos at the pier to tender back was even worse! I would definitely suggest a private tour-we used Soto's and there were less than 20 people total on our tour. The tours from the cruise ships were packed with people.

Hi everyone,

When there are sooooooo many ship docked that day, what would one recommend a family of four to do on their own?

If you want to do the stingray tour, I'd book now. It will be crowded there, but at least your spot will be secured. We used Captain Marvin's while we were there (the last time), and had a great time. We did their short excursion and had enough time to do the island tour, which included Hell and the turtle farm. We booked the island tour from the cruise ship...so we could be one of the first ones off the ship. We toured in a bus that had about 20 people or so. It was really nice.

With that many people arriving, I'm not sure how easy it will be to get a cab.

Does anybody know of a good store to buy cameras in GRand Caymen?
Yes, it is called the Internet.

Seriously, you won't find better prices than you will at home on your computer, especially in Grand Cayman. Prices there are high. Your US $ is worth only .80$ in Cayman dollars, so you start off behind.

http://www.dealcam.com is a good place to start your price search.

http://www.steves-digicams.com is an excellent site for reviews and prices.

11 ships all on the same day is just madness. Georgetown will be gridlocked. If you do get away for an excursion, you better allow LOTS of extra time to get back to the ship in the afternoon.

Eden Rock will be packed with snorkelers, so you should plan ahead and have a backup place to go.

11 ships all on the same day is just madness. Georgetown will be gridlocked. If you do get away for an excursion, you better allow LOTS of extra time to get back to the ship in the afternoon.

We are doing an excursion with native way. I hope we do not have any problems, my son is really looking forward to seeing the stingrays. I hate crowds and am really starting to wish we were not even going to grand cayman. This was the port I was looking forward to the most, now I am dreading it the most.

nancy

We just were in Grand Cayman on July 6 with 5 ships in port. I love Grand Cayman but they can not handle 5 ships. 11 would be a nightmare. We booked a private charter with Nativeway to stingray city and loved it. The only problem was the traffic getting back to port. We tried to do some shopping but the crowds were horrible.

We just were in Grand Cayman on July 6 with 5 ships in port. I love Grand Cayman but they can not handle 5 ships. 11 would be a nightmare. We booked a private charter with Nativeway to stingray city and loved it. The only problem was the traffic getting back to port. We tried to do some shopping but the crowds were horrible.

Thursday seems to be the worst day. It's because of this we are flying in on a Thursday and leaving on a Thursday. When we were there, there were two ships in port and it seemed busy. I can't imagine what the sidewalks will look like with all those people standing in line to tender back to their ships. I know the ships leave at different times, but I think 11 is going to be a nightmare.

It's also because of the number of ships in port that we decided to stay in a condo. The hotels rent out chairs and I don't want to have to hunt for a place to plop down.

I'm on Kay's cruise in November. Someone on our roll call did the numbers -- I think we'd just about double the population of the island if everyone on the 10 ships got off! [i think it was 10 when he did themath; now it's 11.]

I can't imagine what it would be like ... last year when we were in GC there were only 2 ships.

The problem with booking a private excursion, rather than through the ship, is that you are last to get a tender ticket. [At least with HAL]

We'll be there 11/17, I think, & likely we will head for 7 Mile Beach. Last Dec. we were there on a Royal Carib cruise and went on Sotos Stingray/snorkel trip! It was wonderful!!!

Sea Grape or Courtyard's beach are nice locations but both will likely be very crowded!! However, we will just walk along the shore, taking a dip about every 50 ft. and relaxing on our towels. Also stopping here & there at a few beachside bars. Maybe walk down past the remains of the condo where we stayed twice -- it was destroyed by Ivan sadly!!!

With Emily headed that way, Grand Cayman may be back like they were last year in the fall.......... HOPE NOT though!!

I'm on the Westerdam's 11/13 sailing with Kay_D and Oceanwench. I had planned to tender in this time, since I didn't get off the ship last time we visited Grand Cayman a couple of years ago and I wanted to support the island's rebuilding. But with 10 or 11 ships there? No way I'm leaving the Westerdam.

I've read that many of the island's resorts are not yet rebuilt, so they are relying more on the ships for tourism dollars right now. If many of the resorts are still closed, though, where are so many cruisers going to spend the day? The public beaches and downtown ships will be mobbed. No thanks!

Susan

Here's a place that tells you what's open and if it's not...when it will open. Everything is pretty much open, but who knows what's going to happen this hurricane season. It's getting off to a rough start. But no matter what, the place is going to be busy on Thursday's....

http://www.caymanvacations.com/indexmenu.htm?general/ivan.htm&2

Archived