Arriving in LHR at 730am enough time to catch Natl Exp Bus?

stiej

My husbands plane is landing at LHR at 730am Terminal 4. I have read it can be a mess getting through customs. We are American citizens. There is a National Express bus that leaves for Southampton at 945. Before I book his ticket - do you think he will have enough time to deplane, go through customs and get his luggage to catch the bus at 945? Thanks!

Nat Express advise allowing 90 minutes after flight arrival.

Morning flight arrivals from the US are usually early rather than late.

Expect about an hour between de-planing & exiting the arrivals hall. Frequently there's delays (mainly immigration) but he has an hour in hand, which should be plenty.

Depending on his airport terminal there's a suitable later bus, subject to seats available & a £5 amendment fee.

But if it does all go belly-up, the train is an excellent Plan B.

Involves an included dedicated shuttlebus from airport terminal to a mainline station, then 2 - 3 trains per hour direct to Southampton, total journey time 2 hours. No need to pre-book.

Yes, the train is more expensive (about £35). And yes, he'd have to just throw away his Nat Express ticket. But no fear of missing his sailing.;)

JB :)

Awesome - it looks like he should be ok even if he misses it. The kids and I are taking the QM2 over (the scenic route as I like to say) and will already be in Southampton that morning. This sounds like an easy plan for him to navigate on his own. Deplane, customs, baggage, bus, taxi, terminal :) Thanks!

bus, taxi, terminal :)

Good. Sounds like you're already aware that the Southampton (cruise ship terminal) option doesn't apply to your sailing.

It's only available for Fred Olsen ships. If there's no Fred ship sailing that day, the Nat Express booking website simply says "no availability". Worse, if there is a Fred ship sailing, he'll be taken to the wrong cruise terminal :rolleyes:

So his destination is Southampton (coach station), & a short taxi ride from the rank at the coach station.

JB :)

Archived