Cheer me up! Just canceled our fos cruise

A bit different? Let me guess, you aren't really a doctor, you just play one on the internet?

No it's just the nature of my practice. I can't say what I mean as I would lose my anonymity. Denver is not that big and there are only 6 people doing what I do, so it would be easy to figure out who I am, if you wanted to. My employer might not be happy with me if that happened.

I can say that one difference is that I'm salaried. One problem in healthcare is that it's pretty much impossible for docs to get paid for phone and/or internet encounters, so the default answer is "come in and see me."

My practice is such that I'm responsible for a set of patients, and I get paid the same no matter what. Therefore I don't lose money if I spend an hour on the phone or on e-mail.

This arrangement will likely become more common; a big driver of healthcare expenses is the fact that most docs get paid more if they provide more care.

Ok that's true.

I assumed the OP would have said more if there was more to be said, but perhaps not.

Based on what the OP did say I think it's a huge over reaction.

The GI bug going around now is not ICU material.

Certainly though it's possible there's more to the story than the OP told us, like immunosuppression for example.

One should understand though that may docs are over worried about liability, and will base a decision on that more than other factors. Such decisions are also sometimes made based more on style or personal opinions. It's quite likely another doc would have said something different.

I wish the OP a swift recovery and continue to appreciate her/his willingness to follow advice, wish all of my patients were that good!

If this happens to someone, PLEASE get a second opinion.

And I guess some physicians will render opinions based on almost no facts at all. But since I'm on these boards to mostly discuss cruising, I'll bow out of this topic.

Archived