Carnival's Medicine Cabinet

Although I don't ever anticipate a problem, I'm one to bring things "just in case". I keep small sizes of lots of things in my makeup bag:

Visine

Bandaids

Anti-stomach prob meds

Tylenol

Bonine

Neosporin

You just never know.:)

Augmentin for bronchitis $43 for 6 pills

Hate to tell you, but on or off a boat that's the price you would pay for 6 Name-Brand Augmentin without RX Insurance. The price of RX medication now is awful, but (being someone who works in a Pharmacy) from this price quote it doesn't appear that Carnival is price gouging.

Brit.

How about Cotton, Cotton.

How did you choose that screen name?

:D Well, actually, I DO bring cotton swabs.:D

"Cotton" has been my nickname since I was a child. Very blonde hair, and my daddy called me his little 'cotton top'. :)

I always throw a few "blister packs" of any OTC's we might use at home in a baggie, along with "liqui-gel" cough meds. A few years ago, we were unable to find cough medicine in the ship's store,and couldn't find any at our ports of call. We were finally forced to visit the ship's doctor, who prescribed an antibiotic and the best cough medicine we've ever had. Cost was reasonable -- one patient, visit plus meds, $72.

Just found out my moms friend had a stroke on Elation on Friday after leaving port{ Calica? Cozumel?}...They did NOT have the drug onboard that could reverse it. With so MANY elderly onboard, that should be a required medication for the onboard Doctor.

I don't know how she is...Elation landed at 3am {early} today to get her to UTMB Galveston...

Point here..necessary medications should be carried, and in emergency, life saving meds for heart attack and stoke are NOT onboard but SHOULD be....sad but true. I don't think I will plan another "family" cruise knowing this, as you never expect the unexpected....

Carnival chose NOT to transport her...Instead kept her in infirmary untill this morning.

The Infirmary carries many over the counter meds as well as some prescription meds. I'm not sure how they decide what to stock but there is no way they can carry everything so many cruisers of all ages would need.

Some of the prices for over the counter meds are very high compared to what you'd pay here but there are times you have no choice.

I carry a small amount of just about everything I keep on hand in my home med. cabinet. I use very small reclosable plastic bags available in craft shops. Before anyone comments, I am a Registered Nurse and I carefully label every bag with the name, dosage & instructions about how to take.

I also carry a mini first aid kit with bandaids, antibiotic cream, alcohol swabs, cortisone lotion, eye drops & other things I keep at home to treat minor injuries. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Norma

I just got off the Triumph and forgot my BP monitor. I asked if they could check my BP for me. They looked at me like I had two heads. They said next time they'd have to charge me. Translate that into,"don't come back unless you are bleeding and have cash".

First off, I am not a neurosurgeon, nor do I play one on TV.

In response to Christhree's posting, a little background info should be known before blaming Carnival. There are two types of strokes, one where a blood clot in the brain obstructs blood flow and one where there is bleeding into the brain. These both have similar symptoms. The clot type (ischemic) can be reversed with drugs. The problem is that if those drugs are given to the bleeding type, you have just killed them. It usually takes a CT scan to differentiate between the two and that is impractical on a ship. The other complicating factor is that the medication must be started within a few hours of the onset of symptoms which may have made evacuation impossible. Without knowing more about the specifics, Carnival's treatment MAY have been appropriate. Unfortunetly, it is much more complicated than just having a full medicine cabinet. Hopefully her mother's friend is doing OK. This underscores the risks of traveling to underdeveloped regions of the world and the need for travel insurance. Hope this helps.

Archived