Arrived in New Orleans

angelndscz

Drove in and arrived about 1PM. We are here on a weekend trip, non-cruise related. Parked in Fulton's garage $12 a day. Staying at the Marriott at Convention Center.

So first afternoon we took a Taxi to Cafe du Monde (to far to walk from hotel). Taxi driver charged $11 (I mention this because coming back it was only $9 from practically same point.). The kids decided they did not want Cafe du Monde, but regular dinner. So we walked around and found Muriel's.

Muriel's. Since I checked out their menu in advance I knew they had the Alligator Sauce Piquante. When we arrived we were told lunch just ended at 2:30 so it would be the courtyard menu. Not realizing what that mean because I didn't memorize the menu I said okay.

A very nice lady, who was in a management position came by and asked if we had been helped and I said no. We only had kids menu, not adult menus. But luckily I mentioned the Alligator. She went to the back and asked if they could do the Alligator Sauce Piquante and kids fettuccini alfredo since lunch had just ended. They did! I don't eat seafood and the only thing on the courtyard menu other than salad had seafood. When I asked what the soup was they had a nice sounding tomato based soup, so I got that. It was delicious. My daughter's fettuccini alfredo was so good that my oldest son and I helped her eat that as well. My older son got a salad.

On this trip is was me, my 20 year old son, my 11 year old son, and my 9 year old daughter. My husband had to fly to Michigan as his dad passed away. My 18 year old son was home in Florida working.

Now about the Alligator Sauce Piquante. My husband who loves to cook and appreciates good cooking would have loved it I am sure. My older son helped my younger son eat it. My 11 year old's review was he liked the alligator in the market better. The previous trip he tried alligator while walking around the French Market and that is what he remembers. He just wasn't prepared for the sauce and spices I think. Still an excellent dish!

We walked around and got hot chocolate from CC's coffee. My first trip to NOLA years ago DH and I stayed at Hotel Royal (HR) very close to CC's so we are familiar. We signed up for a ghost tour, I got my tarot card reading from Philip at Marie Leveau (with mixed reviews some things he nailed, some he totally missed. And he is the head reader there.).

The ghost tour we took picked up in front of Reverend Zombie's House of Voodoo. Our guide was an excellent story teller and very into character. He was also a history buff and knew everything there is to know about the city. His selection of stops were okay. He even shared a ghost picture a former visitor on his tour took and realized the ghost after taking the picture.

The negatives is it is cold! And Mardi Gras kicks off Saturday, with the parade at 6 pm. My daughter's performance time is 6:15 we won't get out of the convention center until probably 10 after awards. So no FQ for us that night. We drive out Monday so after her competition Saturday night we are free to explore more of the city. With my kids ages and not having my husband here, not sure what we will do.

Today is my son's 11th birthday! So I am debating what to do. He is scared to take the air boat, and with it being cold, maybe I am not too inclined to try it either.

Off to get coffee! Have a great day!

Suggestions on things to do welcomed!

Note: We were told Mardi Gras starts this weekend, then Superbowl, then Mardi Gras for another week. This city is going to be packed! I parked my car and am taking taxi's where I need to go.

Drove in and arrived about 1PM. We are here on a weekend trip, non-cruise related. Parked in Fulton's garage $12 a day. Staying at the Marriott at Convention Center.

So first afternoon we took a Taxi to Cafe du Monde (to far to walk from hotel). Taxi driver charged $11 (I mention this because coming back it was only $9 from practically same point.). The kids decided they did not want Cafe du Monde, but regular dinner. So we walked around and found Muriel's.

Muriel's. Since I checked out their menu in advance I knew they had the Alligator Sauce Piquante. When we arrived we were told lunch just ended at 2:30 so it would be the courtyard menu. Not realizing what that mean because I didn't memorize the menu I said okay.

A very nice lady, who was in a management position came by and asked if we had been helped and I said no. We only had kids menu, not adult menus. But luckily I mentioned the Alligator. She went to the back and asked if they could do the Alligator Sauce Piquante and kids fettuccini alfredo since lunch had just ended. They did! I don't eat seafood and the only thing on the courtyard menu other than salad had seafood. When I asked what the soup was they had a nice sounding tomato based soup, so I got that. It was delicious. My daughter's fettuccini alfredo was so good that my oldest son and I helped her eat that as well. My older son got a salad.

On this trip is was me, my 20 year old son, my 11 year old son, and my 9 year old daughter. My husband had to fly to Michigan as his dad passed away. My 18 year old son was home in Florida working.

Now about the Alligator Sauce Piquante. My husband who loves to cook and appreciates good cooking would have loved it I am sure. My older son helped my younger son eat it. My 11 year old's review was he liked the alligator in the market better. The previous trip he tried alligator while walking around the French Market and that is what he remembers. He just wasn't prepared for the sauce and spices I think. Still an excellent dish!

We walked around and got hot chocolate from CC's coffee. My first trip to NOLA years ago DH and I stayed at Hotel Royal (HR) very close to CC's so we are familiar. We signed up for a ghost tour, I got my tarot card reading from Philip at Marie Leveau (with mixed reviews some things he nailed, some he totally missed. And he is the head reader there.).

The ghost tour we took picked up in front of Reverend Zombie's House of Voodoo. Our guide was an excellent story teller and very into character. He was also a history buff and knew everything there is to know about the city. His selection of stops were okay. He even shared a ghost picture a former visitor on his tour took and realized the ghost after taking the picture.

The negatives is it is cold! And Mardi Gras kicks off Saturday, with the parade at 6 pm. My daughter's performance time is 6:15 we won't get out of the convention center until probably 10 after awards. So no FQ for us that night. We drive out Monday so after her competition Saturday night we are free to explore more of the city. With my kids ages and not having my husband here, not sure what we will do.

Today is my son's 11th birthday! So I am debating what to do. He is scared to take the air boat, and with it being cold, maybe I am not too inclined to try it either.

Off to get coffee! Have a great day!

Suggestions on things to do welcomed!

Note: We were told Mardi Gras starts this weekend, then Superbowl, then Mardi Gras for another week. This city is going to be packed! I parked my car and am taking taxi's where I need to go.

Hi Angeldscz,

One of our favorite things to do whenever we have guests from out of town that have kids is to take the free ferry across the Mississippi. It takes off at the foot of Canal St and kids and adults love the ride. Now, as you say, it will be cold so bundle up.

Saturday's parade the Krew Du Vieux is more of an adult themed event. We are not prudes by any means but would think twice before taking my 11 and 9 year olds to this parade. You may want to check this out and then decide for yourself.

http://www.kreweduvieux.org/

Hope this helps,

Jorge

There is a streetcar that runs along the riverfront directly behind the convention center. It costs $1.25 per person each way and you can ride it to Jackson Square where Cafe du Monde is located or ride it all the way down to where the Flea Market and Margaritaville are. The Aquarium of the Americas is very nice and is on the riverfront as well. Hope y'all have a great time down here.

you may also be interested in a Jazz brunch, or a swamp tour (not sure how it is in the cold), a lot of kids also seem to like the insectarium... I personally like to grab lunch and sit on the balcony of the Riverwalk around 4:30 to watch the 2 cruise ships depart on Sunday's and dream about my next cruise :D

To add to this post, here are a couple other restaurant reviews with kids ages 9, 11, and 20.

Breakfast at Mother's was awesome! We got there just in time before the mad rush where there was a line outside the door. My daughter had a blueberry waffle, my sons pancakes and sausage, and I had ham and cheese omelet with grits. The place appears a bit run down but is really good food.

Take-out at Mulate's was a winner!This was right next to our hotel so one night we called and order take out to bring to the room. We ordered Chicken w/ Fettucini Alfredo (minus the shrimp) and it was really good with just the right amount of cajun spiciness. My older son had their gumbo. He said it was spicy but really good.

New Orleans Hamburger and Seafood Company: This was outstanding as well. Not too pricey and they have a nice balcony overlooking Decatur street. Downstairs has a bar and smaller tables, upstairs has more family size seating with TV's playing football that night.

We also did go to the insectarium and my son did like it. It's not very big compared to other places we have been.

Archived