Do I need to add excursions to my policy?

emeltee

I've booked some independent excursions on my July 2013 cruise to Alaska. They are 100% refundable up to anywhere from 24 hours to 2 weeks prior to the cruise. The 2 week one is 70% refundable within 24 hours - I'm willing to eat the cost if we cancel last minute.

Do I need to include these under my trip insurance policy?

I bought my policy early enough so that I have the pre-existing conditions waiver.

I've booked some independent excursions on my July 2013 cruise to Alaska. They are 100% refundable up to anywhere from 24 hours to 2 weeks prior to the cruise. The 2 week one is 70% refundable within 24 hours - I'm willing to eat the cost if we cancel last minute.

I bought my policy early enough so that I have the pre-existing conditions waiver.

It depends on your policy. Some insurers, in order to be covered for pre-existing medical conditions, require that 100% of your pre-paid, non-refundable trip costs (including tours) be insured. For example, this is from a Travel Guard plan:

"PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION WAIVER

The Insurer will waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion up to a maximum of the first $30,000 of Trip Cost per person if the following conditions are met:

1. This plan is purchased within 15 days of making the Initial Trip Payment;

2. The amount of coverage purchased equals all prepaid, non-refundable payments or deposits applicable to the Trip at the time of purchase, and the cost of any subsequent arrangement(s) added to the same Trip are insured within 15 days of the date of payment or deposit for any subsequent Trip arrangement(s);

3. All Insured’s are medically able to travel when plan cost is paid."

With other insurers you can insure as little or as much of your trip cost as you'd like and still be eligible for the pre-ex waiver.

Call your insurer and find out exactly what you have to do.

Your medical insurance should cover you for all injury costing ( assuming you some) . Most tour companies are required to have some form of liability & medical insurance.

Where your trip cancellation policy will cover depends up to the insurer and the amount you bought insurance for.

Archived