Details About the Dream

firstcruiseever

So this will be our second cruise now. We went on the Glory November 2011. DH and I will take DS (2) and DD (3) with us. We are thinking about going on the Dream for a 7 day. The Glory was a 5 day. My question is, will the 7 day cruise have a less rambunctious (kinda redneck) vibe, and also, since it is such a large ship, how are the crowds? Are they normal levels (Like on all the other ships) or do they get crowded? Anyone know how the food is? Just curious. I've read reviews on CC and elsewhere, but looking for some perspective from you all :)

So this will be our second cruise now. We went on the Glory November 2011. DH and I will take DS (2) and DD (3) with us. We are thinking about going on the Dream for a 7 day. The Glory was a 5 day. My question is, will the 7 day cruise have a less rambunctious (kinda redneck) vibe, and also, since it is such a large ship, how are the crowds? Are they normal levels (Like on all the other ships) or do they get crowded? Anyone know how the food is? Just curious. I've read reviews on CC and elsewhere, but looking for some perspective from you all :)

I've sailed both ships in the past year. Loved Glory - and Dream was a great cruise too. We did the Western run - I will say that the ship is a LOT larger than the Glory. We found that we didn't make it to all the different venues and it was probably the first time we ever cruised that we didn't feel like we "knew" the ship as well by the end of the 7 days as we have on the smaller ships. I think I really prefer the Conquest Class ships - like Glory.

That said, we didn't find it to be a rambunctious crowd on either ship - we did a short run on Glory, too - 4 days - but did not find that crowd over the top, either. Dream can be crowded in certain locations - the grill on the Lanai deck on sea days gets a long line - but it moves fast and isn't that bad. I don't think the buffet was any more crowded than any other ship, and at certain times, due to the many options available, there barely seemed to be any people in there. The Italian food (upstairs, in same location as the fish-n-chips on Glory) was really good. We found the food everywhere to be really good - I'm not sure what everyone complains about, but if you look for a reason to complain, I guess you'll find one.

Glory ranks right up there for me with Liberty and Imagination as one of my top 3 ships. We are booked to sail her again this year. (booked on Liberty again, too) Would I book Dream again? Maybe, if I really loved the itinerary - I will say that the spa was fabulous - and that we never noticed a shortage of deck chairs on this ship - either in the sun or the shade. Also, the entertainment was good as well. Service was a little on the slow side in the MDR, but we were in an area with a lot of huge groups ... so that might have had something to do with it. It wasn't anything we would complain about, but it wasn't the kind of service that had us wanting to throw extra large tips at the staff, either. (we tipped - prepaid and a little extra - just not a lot extra)

I think if we hadn't been with such a large group of friends and family and had more time to explore/enjoy the ship, my opinion might be different - it just didn't feel like "home" to us like so many other ships have by the end. I was sad the vacation was over, but I wasn't sad to disembark - hope that makes sense.

The kind of crowd depends on when you sail...spring break time you will have a lot of college kids.

We've been on both like some of the other posters. We've been on the Dream twice. Buffet lines are pretty much the same as other ships, if you go peak times, it will be crowded. We had good service in MDR, no problems there, and food is good! The one thing we didn't like about the Dream, for such a large ship, it only had 2 pools (lots of jacuzzis, though!). The first time on her, wasn't a problem cuz we sailed in Dec. and was kind of chilly. The 2nd time, we sailed in late spring, and the pools were packed! We would sail on her again, beautiful ship!

We have been on the Glory once and the Dream twice. Actually, we are booked on the Dream for the third time for Sept. As posted earlier, the Dream is alot bigger than the Glory. The extra deck is very nice.

We have been on cruises where there have been ( how do you say ).... people we prefer not to cruise with due to their behavior.... Was even told by our Mait Tre D, that the 3 day cruises cater to the rougher crowd. We have never seen a problem with people on the 7 day cruises.

Highly recommend the Dream, great staff onboard!

My question is, will the 7 day cruise have a less rambunctious (kinda redneck) vibe?

My experience is the longer the cruise, the less you see of the "rambunctious types."

Although our last cruise aboard the Freedom (8 nights) had a group of 30 or so which appeared to be a combination of Honey Boo Boo meets the Swamp People. A male and a female(?) almost had a domestic violence incident in the embarkation waiting area. Thankfully, we saw very little of them after that.

We sailed the Dream in August and didn't notice any redneck-ness:D except the Hairy Chest contest which I think is disgusting. I think the kids will love the water park. As far as lines, even during the summer, I didn't think the buffet lines were too long. I think the the key to the buffets is to eat early and not wait until 12-1 when everyone else is looking to eat. I thought the food was awesome as we always ate dinner in the MDR. Next time, I think we'll eat breakfast and lunch in the MDR more often.

Archived