POA Dec 29th sailing

saffy22

We recently completed our second POA cruise. Thought I would share just what we did.

A bit about us, we are not buffet people. Last time we ate only in Liberty and Skyline. This time we pre booked Jeffersons, Little Italy and Lazy J.

We wern't really impressed with Jeffersons. Loved Little Italy, and thought the Steak house was OK. The second visit to Little Italy was much less impressive, as we arrived at 8.45 and got nothing to eat until 9.30.

By American standards the meal sizes are quite small in the MDRs- however as you are having 3 courses they are defintely sufficient. Lazy J is more American size meals- and Little Italy is huge portions as well.

We also had room service breakfasts twice, an early morning preceeding a Heli tour on Kauai and on the final morning. We will probably do this more often on our next cruise. Nice unhurried option.

First morning on Maui we collected our hire car, and went to Laihaina for a Whale Watch with Maui Adventure Cruises at 12.30pm. was a nice relaxing day, plenty of time to wander Laihaina. I will never forget the sounds of whales spouting right beside us, and on heading back to port whales were breaching all around us. Amazing. Had lunch at Cheeseburger in Paradise which the boys (20 and 24) really liked.

The next day was a visit to Halekalea, not sunrise, as I couldnt convince anyone it would be worth it. Got some awesome photos standing in the clouds. Then we headed to Tedeshchi winery. Long drive, and probably wouldnt bother again. I really like wine, and found all their varieties either too sweet or lacking in substance.

Next was Hilo and Volcanoes National Park. Had a great day, and even came across some Nene- and got some great photos again. That night was the amazing highlight. Pele was kind, and the sail by was the best in years. We have amazing video of the lava spewing into the ocean, with the steam and crackles and pops of new land being created. Worth the whole ticket just for that.

Next onto my favorite port Kona, My lads went with Kris from Sea Hawaii Rafting- I had booked privately, but he is the one Roberts use. Lucky I had been out with him before, as the 9-1 tour was actually 9.15- 2.00pm. And all the vendors on the pier (including the info desk) denied any knowledge of his company. I found the Roberts lady and she was happy for the lads to wait with her. My boys voted it the best day of the trip. They got to enter the water near a huge pod of spinner dolphins, who were soon investigating the intruders. Just make sure you have his cell number with you, so you know he is coming to get you.

Meanwhile, my hubby and I took a ship tour (something I usually never do) to the Ocean Riders Sea horse farm. We both enjoyed it especially getting to hold sea horses. Lunch was at Kona Brewery, the boys had been drinking Longboards the entire trip- so this seemed a good option. We were underwhelmed. Waited ages for a table- asked if we wanted in or out? Never been before so said we didnt mind. Yuk wait for an outside table- we were inside and it was horrible. The waitress was useless and the menu pretty short and uninspired. We had to wait even longer to actually pay our bill, as apparently only the one waitress can take payment. Someone stiffed her while we were there- maybe they just got sick of waiting.

On Kauia we went out to Waimea Canyon,then ziplining. That was a lot of fun, everyone enjoyed it- even the 50 year old sacred of heights Mum (ie Me)

Next morning was the Jurassic landing Adventure with Island Helicopters. I dont know why everyone doesnt book this tour, it is terrific, to get to land in the valley with the towering waterfall, that everyone else can only admire from a distance. Great value as the tour went for ages, through lots of vallies on the Napali coast, another highlight.

After this I finally had Loco Moco for breakfast at a little beach hut thing between the 2 shopping malls- sounds weird but actually pretty good.

Finally the Napali sai by, accompained by some whales, and off to pack, for our walk off at 9.00am. Left the bags at the pier,($5.00 a bag) while we did a last minute Ala Moana visit, before a 3.00pm flight to LA.

This was our second trip on POA, so I think it will be a while before we visit again, but the memories are all so wonderful.

Archived