Murray? No to biking in Skagway out to Dyea this year?

goofynewfymom

Hey Murray,

Still working on what to do in Skagway and Ketchikan. Kind of narrowed it down to kayaking out to the Tatoosh Islands or Clover Pass cause the Orca's cove trip is booked. I was going to book the biking trip out to Dyea, but then I read one of your posts that said it's a bad idea due to the construction...glad I saw that. Any other ideas for biking? And if not, what about hiking in Skagway. By the way, I booked a trip with Gastineau Guiding in Juneau...do you know anything about them? Thanks for your help, Stephanie

When we drove into Dyea about two weeks ago, we were stopped after a little way and had to wait for a pilot car to guide us in (that's how torn up the road was), and had to wait to get guided out. The traffic director was very interesting to talk to, had to wait only about 5 minutes each way for the guides. Anyway, that's how torn up the road was then - all mud!! I don't know much about bike riding but would know not to try it there - or on the main road up to Carcross - the bikers riding down that road into Skagway on our return were in real danger.

As far as biking goes, my suggestions are the same as they were 2 days ago, Stephanie - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=185514 :D

There are several good hikes in Skagway - you can pick up a trail map from the NPS office bside the train station. The range from very casual (Yakutania Point) to difficult (Upper Dewey Lake). I'm not familiar with Gastineau Guiding.

Murray

Archived