• Miami
    • Fort Lauderdale
    • San Juan
    • Galveston
    • New York
    • Baltimore
    • Mobile
    • Other

I think there is a bridge in Tampa that wont allow a Conquest Class ship to pass under. Plus they are having issues with Miracle. Not sure Carnival would be eager to reward them with an brand new ship.

It;s the shipping channel having issues.... it is not wide enought to get the Miracle through and an oil barge at the same time......

However, they are suppossed to be widening the channel (not sure how) so who knows... it is an awesome port and close to the airport as well though....

But the Sunshine SKyway Bridge is right there, and the miracle comes within 5 feet of the bridge.... So, I am guessing it will not be Tampa.

I think if Galveston were to have a bigger airport that we'd see alot more lines moving in, too. The commute from the Houston airports is a big inconvenience. I'm glad I'd be driving.

You are right in my case at lest. The commute from the Houston airport and the price to fly there has kept me away. Galveston always seems to have some of the best prices.

We were on the conquest in may.We were told by the staff that the liberty was going to new orleans and the conquest was going to europe.

CC

The staff told you wrong. The Liberty is doing the Med, than going out of FLL, and than going back to Europe in April. As they are selling these cruises already, I would have to beleive the staff was mis informed.

It;s the shipping channel having issues.... it is not wide enought to get the Miracle through and an oil barge at the same time......

However, they are suppossed to be widening the channel (not sure how) so who knows... it is an awesome port and close to the airport as well though....

But the Sunshine SKyway Bridge is right there, and the miracle comes within 5 feet of the bridge.... So, I am guessing it will not be Tampa.

That's why I didnt have Tampa as an option.

Actually the height of the Sunshine Skyway is going to limit Tampa on which ships they get. A Conquest class ship is not going to make it under the Skyway.

The width of the Miracle is the same as the Inspiration. It is just longer. The channel does need to be made wider but it's not going to happen overnight. With the combined problems with the channel and bridge, Tampa is going to be lagging behind the rest of the markets.

We were on the conquest in may.We were told by the staff that the liberty was going to new orleans and the conquest was going to europe.

CC

Well, we know that's wrong, the Liberty is going back to Europe. I don't think the Med is a "year round" destination.

Boston. . . If not the Freedom, we are getting another large ship here. Was told it was going to be a new Carnival ship but don't know if they meant brand new or if they meant new to Boston since Carnival hasn't sailed out of Boston since the Victory left in 2001

Galveston will never develop into the "fly-in" cruise market that the Florida ports are. However, the cruise lines area doing very well there because there's a huge drive-in market: 4-5 million people close by within the Houston-Galveston region, and 30+ million in Texas and the neighboring states. I've heard that most of the ships there are 80+% drive-in passengers (with the possible exception of Galaxy because of its different market appeal / longer cruises).

The other downside of Galveston is the added distance to some of the southern and eastern Caribbean destinations.

You are right in my case at lest. The commute from the Houston airport and the price to fly there has kept me away. Galveston always seems to have some of the best prices.

I say San Juan also, the Destiny is getting older and they can put her somewhere else. The Liberty will be in Ft. Lauderdale. Maybe they will try and use some of the Destiny type ships more in the northern us states, like Norfolk, Baltimore, Charleston.

Susan

I agree with a couple of earlier posters and think they will place the Freedom in San Juan. The Destiny is getting old and other lines have newer and larger offerings from San Juan. If not Freedom, then another Conquest Class ship will go to San Juan and the Destiny will go to Galveston. Like someone said before, it's not a big fly in market, but it is a huge drive in market. Cruises out of Galveston are limited to the Western Caribbean anyway because of its location so that is not a factor. I believe Carnival will put a larger ship there to keep those cruisers happy.

My mom says, "ooh, maybe they'll put Freedom in Port Canaveral and keep Glory too. Then they can offer one ship as western and one as eastern each week, with one leaving saturday and one leaving Sunday." I told her it wouldn't happen.

I would like to see it in Norfolk Va!! They are building a $40 million dollar cruise terminal in hopes to getting a more permanent cruise company going out of there on a regular basis! I think right now there are about 4 cruise lines that go out of norfolk but it is a few cruises here and there!

So it would be nice to see it right there, just a few hours from DC!

Ken

Well few rumors have been said that for her summer year of 2007 she will sail Euorpe, Do something like Liberty. Start of in Europe. This rumor is more of a fact that has come from many Travel agents who has CCL reps come every so for updates. I know a few in Florida, NJ, and NY who have been told the same, Since she debuts in Spring 07, Makes for a perfect European Season.

Archived