Swim/Snorkel with Turtles - can you do this on your own, or need an excursion?

Huey

We really are interested in the turtle experience in Barbados, but usually don't like to get tied down to an excursion that lasts upto 5 hours. Is there anyway to do swim/snorkel with the turtles and not have to schedule an excursion?

Also, does anyone have an opinion on this - is it worth doing?

Laura

Carnival Fantasy - 04/90 - Honeymoon! * Imagination * Victory * Destiny * Triumph * Golden Princess 04/02 * RCCL Brilliance 04/03 * Carnival Legend 04/13/04

When we did this last year, access to the turtles was by boat only. They are too far off shore to swim out. I do not know if you can find someone to take you out there and back in a shorter time frame.

'89 Commodore/Caribe I
'92 NCL/Westward
'96 NCL/Seaward
'99 RCI/Rhapsody Of The Seas
'00 RCI/Legend Of The Seas
'01 Princess/Ocean Princess
'02 RCI/Vision Of The Seas
'03 Princess/Sea Princess
'03 Princess/Sea Princess

TAHITIAN PRINCESS 02/11/05

What i meant was, do you need to purchase an excursion - or will there be people at the beach selling boat rides to do this?

Laura

Carnival Fantasy - 04/90 - Honeymoon! * Imagination * Victory * Destiny * Triumph * Golden Princess 04/02 * RCCL Brilliance 04/03 * Carnival Legend 04/13/04

• 3 months later...
we did it last month with Glory Tours. You could do it yourself - at the point that we left from (I have no idea where that was) there were several locals offering to take people out - more vendors than customers, it seemed. Some of these guys made me a little nervous - they were pretty aggressive. My advice would be to do it through a reputable operator just to avoid the aggressive vendors. But there is no shortage of people who will take you out

There is agreat litte tour company that offers tow choices, You can book into a group or 10 people for 3 hours to swim with turtles at about $46/pp. Or you can rent the whole boat out for just over $400 for the three hour and bring as few people as you want. We did and brought just 4 people. It was by far the best trip we have ever done. Brian and Dale did a great job. You can e-mail them at [email]smallcats@sunbeach.net[/email]. If you need pictures of the boat or turtles feel free to e-mail me. Drinks and snorkel gear included. If you want lunch, the have a 5 hour tour that includes that. If we had know we would have done it. Next time back to Barbados we will be booking this again. They provide transportation toand from the cruise ship and will even drop you off in town if you like.

Archived