Island Escape for small kids info please

Emmmahhh

Hi, My parents are organising a family cruise for June 2013 & we are having difficulty in selecting a ship.

We want to go on a west med cruise at the end of june 2013, ship has to leave either Palma or Barcelona as we are flying from Cork.

There will be my parents (aged 53) me (34) & my 2 little boys aged 2 yrs & 5 yrs. Sister & boyfriend (both 25) sister & bf (23 & 24) & sister aged 15. My husband will be working abroad so I will be on my own with my kids. I have cruised once before on RC Voyager of the Seas with just my husband to the carribean. My parents have done a med cruise on Island cruises Thomson Dream.

Here is the issue: my mum thinks a small ship will be better as she wants us to stick together & if ship is too big we'll all be off doing our own thing. I think a big ship will be better because I will have 2 small kids to entertain all day. I wont be getting off at any of the stops as none of the places are suitable for small kids.

So far all the reviews for island escape (which agent recommended to my mum) have been awful.

So, have any of you been on Island Escape with a 2 year old (in a buggy) & how did you find it? They are very active boys so the kids entertainment is very important so they are not bored (which leads to tears), they are also both fair skinned so can only spend limited time at the beach if there is one at any of the stops. My 2 year old also has an allergy to cows milk so this would need to be catered for. Any suggestions please? The other ship ive been looking at is Liberty of the seas as it goes from Barcelona & is working out same price as Island Escape. All advice appreciated

Hi Emahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D

Right here goes :)

Took our granddaughter who was 18 months at the time and she was spoilt rotten by the waiters and all the crew on board, we didn't have any problems with the buggy, every time we used the restaurant the waiters were there with toddler seat ...no standing about.

Kids entertainment is spot on they really do look after them and in the early evenings they kept the adults entertained :D

As for the catering the restaurants are very well equipped to look after peoples with allergies.

Make your own mind up re the Island Escape ;) there are 1,00000s that are repeat passengers.

Think I've covered everything

RR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rebel Rouser :)

We still havent booked, not easy when you have 10 different people to keep happy. I'm finding it hard to find information on what there is to do on board with toddler during the day. They are up at 7am & asleep in bed at 7pm at home though I expect they'll be up a little later but they wont stay awake past 8pm. So whats there to do for 12 hours on board with a 2.5 yr old & a 5 yr old? Most of the ports of call seem unsuitable for small kids ie Naples (pompeii), Rome (few hours on a bus, not happening as they will barely manage 30 mins plus dont think they will appreciate the Colloseum etc), Mahon in Menorca will hopefully have a beach (thats all they want, building castles & paddling). Just want them (& me!) to have a nice time :D

Hi Emmmmaaahhhhh. RR might shoot me for this but I'd say go on a bigger ship with more facilities for young children. I love the Escape..she's a lovely happy and friendly ship and the crew are indeed all brilliant. I was on it last August so peak holiday time and saw very few children. There is a childrens club/play room but to be honest it's quite small. I didn't personally look for kids entertainment cos mine are grown up so don't really know 100% what there is,,but I'd guess at not much, and your kids sound lively and lively kids need wearing out don't they! Have you looked at Carnival cruises at all? Not been on them myself but my research tells me that they are very family orientated,,see the adverts on telly? IMHO,,,and I am very new to cruising compared to some of the good people on here,,if you are doing a cruise for the cruising experience not as a means to get from A to B and see lots of places I would definately go for a large ship with lots of facilities for kids. A ship with a dedicated kids pool would be a good idea,,the pool on the Escape is very small and you can't get near it in the day due to the early risers and those who must have the bed right up to the edge of it! Don't take any notice of the bad reviews,,I read lots of them before we went on it and we had a fabulous time,,loved every minute of it.

Archived