Hair braiding in St Thomas/St Martin

Toothfairy41

Just thought I would post a quick question to the experienced travelers since this is our first cruise and the first time our girls (10 and 8) will be going to the Carribean. Can anyone comment if they know of a place in St Thomas/St John or St Martin to get their hair braided? And do you have an idea on cost? I have heard to make sure we bring our own combs. Any comments would be great!

Ps... I have been also warned to put sun screen on their heads in between their braids!! :eek:

Thx!! :)

Just be careful. I have heard of a lot of people that have actually had to have their hair cut really short after because the braids are done so tight they had to be cut off as they couldn't be combed out. I know beauticians don't recommend having them done.

I had a few braids done years ago and it damaged my hair. I thought I would never get them out. I would never do it again.

If your kids want to do it maybe you could ask that it not be done so tight.

Edited by dixieva

My granddaughters are also 10 and 8 and they love to get their hair braided but we only go to very reputable places. I usually take them when we are in Florida and the place I use charges $65US each for the top of the head. They are going on their first cruise in March also to St. Thomas/St. Maarten and have asked about hair braiding so would be interested if someone responds with the name of a place, although I am trying to discourage them until we get off the ship and do it the second week while in Florida.

• 2 years later...

:eek:It's been about 3 years since my daughter (age 7 at the time) and I cruised on Explorer to St. Maarten and took a tour that went to Orient Beach. We had 2 hours to spend at the beach and a friend had recommended that my daughter get her long hair braided at the first possible place, to make her beach time cooler. There were vendors walking up and down the beach, so quickly we were approached by a lady offering braids. I thought I had $27 in cash on me (turned out I had $32) and I asked her what she charged. She told me $3/braid. I told her I had $27 and she said "I can work with that". I asked how long it would take and was told 20-30 minutes. She began working on my daughter's hair and I could tell it was somewhat painful. After seeing how tiny the braids were going to be, I repeated "You understand I only have $27 and can only have 9 braids done, right?" Again she said "I can make that work" and kept braiding. After 45 minutes I began to get really nervous as it was clear she was doing much more than 9 braids and I stopped her, asked how much longer and told her we didn't have long and my daughter wanted to swim and again told her how much money I had. At that point she got a little snippy and went to get help, so two of them were braiding. She then said "I told you $3/braid and that it takes time". I told them to stop and that I could only give them what I had. At that point they very quickly put in a few more braids while telling me it was all fine (though it was obvious they were irritated). When she finished I asked what I owed and she calculated up $135!!!! I about flipped and pulled out my $32 and told her I actually had $5 more than I thought. She then began to suggest I go to an ATM to get her what I owed her. We argued and I told her I didn't have a car. she then said her friend would drive me to an ATM!!!! When I refused she said "well then you get one of your rich friends from your ship to give you the money til you get back to your boat!!" I refused and she huffed off about 5 chairs down the beach and began yelling and pointing at me, telling everyone that I was a horrible no good American who was stealing from her. She came back and again tried to get me to ask someone for the money and then told me "I am a professional and I make over $50/hr for what I do with people's hair and you're only giving me $32 for 2 hours of work???" At that point I began walking toward our tour director. The woman then disappeared only to return with a taxi driver who would take my card to the ATM FOR me! Our tour director told the woman she was going to call security and she went away, ranting. Back on the bus, I discovered that a young woman and her daughter were approached by the same lady, while the woman's husband was jet skiing. They were told $3/braid as well and she and her daughter had their hair done by two women. It took up the 2 hours and they wanted $275.00 in the end. Sadly, the woman was so embarrassed she borrowed the money from another person on our ship! The tour guide told us that this was very unusual and I don't know if it still happens but that's the last time I will attempt anything of the sort. We missed swimming, were humiliated by her ranting, and overall got a bad taste in our mouths regarding St. Maarten, though I plan to return.

I had my hair braided on the beach in Nassau years ago. My hair is baby fine and was quite long at the time. I enjoyed the braids very much and when I took them out, I was very patient and worked from the bottom of the braid up. No damage, no problems.

I don't see people getting their hair braided very much anymore. If you still want them to have it done, bring your own comb and beads, so to avoid lice. And I would suggest one or two braids, rather than the whole head. Since a child's hair and follicles are delicate, I'd never recommend doing the whole head. If you go to the major beaches, there are always people walking around to do braids. Just realize that if you go to a shop, you'll lose a lot of valuable port time just to get braids.

I got braids done on Trinidad when my Ex and I were cruising with his father. A lady grabbed me, said "I braid!" sat me down, and started. What she really wanted to do was ask me about how we handle elderly folk in the US. (My father in law was 91 at the time, and had the start of dementia so he was living with us) She had heard we shoved them all in industrial homes until they died. So we got to talking. The man next to her selling shells joined in, and it was a really great experience. I think I paid her $30 to do my whole head of really thick hair.

I didn't get lice. The braids came back out. (I slathered my hair with conditioner and slowly worked each braid out from the end) It's one of the best memories of that trip.