Cancellation - Had Insurance

Annefran

Hi all,

Two days before we were due to sail on our IOS cruise my sister became ill with diverticulitis and we had to cancel our cruise. Thankfully we had purchased the insurance. RCI told me that the taxes, fees, excursions, soda and water packages we paid would automatically be credited to my credit card within 3-5 business days. We had to contact the insurance company for the cruise fee only. This is my first time having to deal with insurance and cancelling the cruise. I have to say they were very helpful. It takes a few days for them to email me the paperwork to file. She told me to ensure that my sister's doctor includes the diagnosis and treatment on her doctor's note.

Would love to hear some of your experiences with filing through insurance after having to cancel your cruise. Was it an easy process? Did you encounter any issues etc.? Thanks in advance for any information or helpful hints that you can share.

About 10 years ago we had to cancel an Alaska cruise because our mother/traveling partner was hospitalized....we had RCI's insurance. As I recall it was very easy to put in the claim (yes, we had the Dr.'s documentation) and we received our refund in a relatively short period of time. Sorry....it was too long ago to recall just how long it took, but I do remember that I was surprised at the speed of the refund. The only thing we didn't get back was the cost of the insurance, of course. I was very pleased with the service and we ALWAYS purchase the insurance. You just never know....we certainly never expected our mother to end up on the hospital.

About 10 years ago we had to cancel an Alaska cruise because our mother/traveling partner was hospitalized....we had RCI's insurance. As I recall it was very easy to put in the claim (yes, we had the Dr.'s documentation) and we received our refund in a relatively short period of time. Sorry....it was too long ago to recall just how long it took, but I do remember that I was surprised at the speed of the refund. The only thing we didn't get back was the cost of the insurance, of course. I was very pleased with the service and we ALWAYS purchase the insurance. You just never know....we certainly never expected our mother to end up on the hospital.

Thanks so much for your insight. I greatly appreciate it.

I hope that your sister has a speedy recovery. I was cruising with a friend a few years ago and she had a flair up of her diverticulitis while on board and passed out in our cabin one morning. I called down to the infirmary and they were there in under two minutes. She got excellent care on board. It took her a long time for the insurance to pay the bill (not Cruise Care insurance) but the hold up was all of the paperwork having to do with proving that her primary insurance did not cover it. No disputing the charges by the insurance company, just foot dragging.

I hope that you and your sister are able to plan another cruise in the future.

We cancelled our very first cruise four days before sail date, because DH was still recovering from a broken hip. We filled out the insurance form, and got our money back. A few months later, on our first cruise we actually saled on, we arrived late back in port, and missed our plane connection. Royal Caribbean put us up for the night, rebooked our air, and gave us meal vouchers. We had purchased air and insurance through Royal Caribbean.

I had to cancel a cruise about 3 weeks out due to the death of my mother. I use a TA. My wife called her and she took care of all the notifications and getting the forms to us. We filled out the forms and submitted a copy of the death certificate, no problem. the insurance was not with RCCL, but with a different company that I have used more than once. Everyone was very helpful and being able to rely on my TA was a Godsend at a tough time for me.

Thanks All, your stories are very helpful and make me feel better that we won't have any issues with getting a refund. My sister is on the mend and was extremely disappointed and upset that we couldn't cruise together.

Keep the stories coming.....very helpful and insightful.

Hi all,

Two days before we were due to sail on our IOS cruise my sister became ill with diverticulitis and we had to cancel our cruise. .....

I feel for your sister because I was just diagnosised with diverticulitosis after years of suffering from the disease.

A year ago we were suppose to go on our 13th cruise when my sister diagnosised with the early stages of breast cancer. Three weeks before our sail date she had a partial mastectomy and started the first of thirty-two radiation treatments the week we would have been on the cruise ship.

We called RCL, explained the situtation and that week all the forms were mailed to us. Three weeks later we got our money back.

Royal Caribbean came through for us.

I feel for your sister because I was just diagnosised with diverticulitosis after years of suffering from the disease.

A year ago we were suppose to go on our 13th cruise when my sister diagnosised with the early stages of breast cancer. Three weeks before our sail date she had a partial mastectomy and started the first of thirty-two radiation treatments the week we would have been on the cruise ship.

We called RCL, explained the situtation and that week all the forms were mailed to us. Three weeks later we got our money back.

Royal Caribbean came through for us.

Great story Rosie, thanks for sharing.

First I hope your sister is doing well and that you will be able to cruise soon!

We always take insurance and had to use it twice. Last time was for my DH who was very ill.

The whole process did take time and patience as we had to file with our health insurance and wait for the EOB, then submit it, we received every penny except 40 cents....that was over the allotted per mile expense for transportation.

Best $89 pp ever spent!

We always book through insuremytrip, cheaper, and covers more. Last year had to cancel our river cruise 6 days prior due to emergerncy surgery. They paid our Priceline hotels, paid for our FF miles to be put back into our account, paid for cancellation fees on a few tours...we did not lose a penny. I always make sure to buy the insurance within 2 weeks of booking to make sure preexisting conditions will be covered. Also, if you change your mind or your trip or want to increasee your insurance they will do it for you. I was very happy with the outcome last year.

Archived