problem with Windstar

katj323

I booked my cruise a few months ago. I booked two cabins for the July 2nd sailing from Athens to Venice. I also booked my air through them at the same time. I explained that I am getting married on June 30th in Athens so I paid the $75 per person, $300 total for the deviation. I got my documents today and I realized that my elderly parents are not leaving on the same day as my I am. They are not arriving until the day after my wedding! I contacted Windstar, and all they said was they are sorry for the mix up! What can I do about this?

Windstar usually sends a confirmation upon booking. Was it listed correctly in the confirmation? Secondly, I would certainly advise them that since you purchased the deviations and they billed you for all four, you epxect that all four of you will share the same itinerary. For them it is only a matter of change fees to the outbound airline ticket. It is my experience that they have been rather helpful. Please let us know how you made out.

Are you using a travel agent? Windstar will only deal with the agent you booked through. Also, this is the time for the agent to earn his or her commission. Call your agent and ask them to handle this.

I hope it all works out well. :)

Beth

I orginally booked with expedia.com. That was the first mistake! However I booked my air directly through Windstar. They admit that they blew it and they are sorry. The problem is all the flights are full. They can get my parents their in time, but they have to leave 2 days before me and have awful lay overs in three cities (countries). Layovers at the tune of 6-8 hours each. I contacted them and left a voice message, but never heard back from the air department. I kind of think that they should refund my $75 per person charge for the early arrival. Windstar is worthless,however we will go and have a great time, I am not expecting to much though.

......... admit that they blew it and they are sorry. .......they should refund my $75 per person charge for the early arrival.

I think they should do much more than refund your $75, regardless of how you booked your cruise and/or air. If they screwed-it-up, it's my feeling they should "make it good".

If that means they need to pry open their pocket-book and eat an extra day pre or post, or upgrade your flights in order to get you all there in time, then so be it.

Reading this kind of BS here is NOT good for their business. Seeing somebody write that Windstar is "worthless" is shameful. [225 people have already read this thread.]

It's amazing to me how some companies that spend fortunes on advertising to generate new business, won't spend a dime on business that requires NO additional advertising... you're already booked.

One would think somebody over there would come to realize that all they now have to do is be reasonable and make an effort. The goodwill, positive PR and free advertising you'd give them in the years to come would more than pay for whatever it would cost them up front. Good PR is priceless We (all 12-14 of us) have always had wonderful stories to tell after Winstar cruises and never miss an opportunity to recommend them.

I know you'll be much more satisfied with the cruise staff than you are now with the business office. They (the cruise staff) are absolutely extraordinary. It's a shame your experience with the business office seems to be so ordinary.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding. After you get back, please come back to the board and let us know how this all worked out.

I still can't get anyone from Windstar to return my call! I am so frustrated. When I call Windstar direct and explain my problem I get switched over to the air department and have to leave a message. I have left 4 messages in the last 7 days. Still no response. I have accepted the fact that my parents will not be there in time for my wedding. However, I am a bit upset by the lack of correspondence on their part. My father has paid over $29,000 dollars for a cruise for four with air. At least they can do is call me back. On another note, we each have $200 on board ship credit. Can this be used for shore tours?

You are running out of time! Windstar will keep delaying as that is in their best interest. Contact a lawyer immediately and have him/her write a letter -- fax it to Windstar. Do NOT accept what Windstar is doing to you -- take your destiny into your own hands.

.... I have accepted the fact that my parents will not be there in time for my wedding.... My father has paid over $29,000 dollars for a cruise for four with air.... On another note, we each have $200 on board ship credit. Can this be used for shore tours?

I think you need to talk to somebody other than the Air Department... like maybe the Director of Sales.

Since Dad paid for it, he should be there. Maybe a couple of weeks ago, before being treated like this, acceptance was a good thing. I'm not so sure it is now. You might now try management and screaming bloody murder. Ask for the moon now.

The shipboard credit goes against the bill for anything you bill to your cabin. If your shore tours are bought on the ship and billed to your cabin, it'll go the way you'd like. If you are booking your own tours with a 3rd party, then hopefully you're a two-fisted drinking party animal. The Signature Gift Shop also has some lovely things.

Once onboard, I'm sure the cruise staff will help you get past all the irritation. As a solid Windstar patron, I HATE hearing what the Business Office is putting you through.

PS: if anybody reading this has any contact names at Windstar they can pass along, PLEASE help this guy. I'd like to think this board can get Dad to the wedding on time.

We have been on 10 Windstar cruises and have noticed the "economizing" is starting to affect the level of service passengers receive. The dining, bar, and cabin stewards are still very good. There were a number of problems on our last Wind Surf cruise that the professional staff handled very poorly. There were two large groups that required a lot of attention. On the plane home, we decided no more Wind Surf.

On a cruise to Tahiti last year, there were about 40 Spaniards who had been told the staff was bilingual when they booked their cruise. They are not; these were very unhappy cruisers.

I can't believe there's been over 400 hits to this thread and not a single Windstar contact person's name has been provided. Usually on this board, people go out of their way [even falling over one another] to provide suggestions.

I don't understand what it is about this thread that has everybody reading and nobody assisting. Where are all the people on this board who know people? This guy's running out of time!

Linda: from talking with several of the staff it was obvious that English was not their Mother Tongue. I'm sure most were MULTI-lingual... Spanish just not being one of them. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I too became confused when reading these threads. Since day one, I have asked this person to check the printed confirmation that they received from the cruise line at the time of BOOKING (regardless of whether air and cruise were booked together, you should have received a printed confirmation from each transaction). I understand that they do not issue final documentation until 30 days out.

Katj323. My future recommendation. Find a travel agent you can trust. Give serious consideration to all you want to do, see, and experience BEFORE you book. Request printed conmfirmation and note every person you talk too BEFORE they charge your credit card for the deposit. You can even get airline seat assignments 9 months in advance on most international flights. Even with full service travel agents, you'll find that you will do most of the work anyway, so plan on READING AND UNDERSTANDING exactly what you're buying before you ever give them even one of your hard earned dollars. You always have negotiating strength when you're holding what matters most to any of these companies. YOUR MONEY! So sorry that this turned as ugly as it did. At this point, there is nothing more you can do about the travel calamity you've encountered. SO, LET GO AND RELAX. THINK POSITIVE, your wedding is only days away and it will be in one of the most beautiful places in Europe. ENJOY!

To "the prisoner". Please do not let this thread discourage you from Sailing on Windstar. If you llike all that Crystal stands for, this may not be for you. HOWEVER, they don't sell it as the same experience as Crystal or Seabourne. It is a relaxed atmosphere with probably a slightly younger, but still very well traveled audience. My wife and I are considering Crystal and Seabourne for our next trip. What is preventing an immediate booking is the thought of having to wear a tie to dinner on a few nights. Love to dress, loath the buttoned up requirement.

Only 2 days before we leave for Europe and 5 days until we join our ship. Nothing is as exciting as beginning an adventure to place unforseen (at least by us anyway)

Fair Sailing to all. Will review upon return

REply to Linda...yes, we noticed that Windstar is getting tired, both the boat(s) and the service...we have done several on Windstar and Windsurf, but there were a coupld of incidents that were not handled well either. ..on the whole we have had such good times with them, but lately it is going down hill....or maybe we are getting jaded.

Gee - I am sorry this person has so many problems, but many have tried to help.

Meanwhile, why is there at least THREE different threads about this same problem? Again, sorry for your troubles, but blasting away over and over is not going to help.

Archived