Sydney customs & transport options to hotel

We will be arriving in Sydney from the U.S. on a Monday morning at 7:50. There is a 10:30am tour we would like to do but I'm not sure if we can get there in time. We are staying at the Sydney Harbour Marriott at Circular Quay and our tour leaves close to there. Can anyone give me an idea how long it will take to get thru customs (coming from the US)? And how long we should allow for transport to the Marriott? Also, what is the best means of transportation. Since we are staying at Circular Quay, does it make the most sense to take the train? I assume you can catch the train at the airport? Or should we just take a taxi?

We will be arriving in Sydney from the U.S. on a Monday morning at 7:50. There is a 10:30am tour we would like to do but I'm not sure if we can get there in time. We are staying at the Sydney Harbour Marriott at Circular Quay and our tour leaves close to there. Can anyone give me an idea how long it will take to get thru customs (coming from the US)? And how long we should allow for transport to the Marriott? Also, what is the best means of transportation. Since we are staying at Circular Quay, does it make the most sense to take the train? I assume you can catch the train at the airport? Or should we just take a taxi?

Presuming that you are flying in from Houston. Will you be in any shape to go on a tour that day . Can you take the tour 24 hrs later to allow yourself to adjust to the time change and climate ? Keep in mind that (assuming no overnight hotels enroute ) that you'll have been up for at least 24 hrs and Sydney is approx 12 hrs the next day ahead of Houston. In other words have you considered "Jet Lag "

Yes, coming from Houston. We have definitely considered jet lag but we travel a lot and can never sleep that first day anyway. We can't check in to the hotel until afternoon anyway so we figured why not enjoy ourselves in the meantime? By the time the tour is over we'll be able to checkin and nap. :)

Hi

If your plane arrives on time it will take you approx 1 hr or more to get through customs.

The train does come into the city but you have to change trains at central to catch one that goes to circular quay cost appox $34 for 2. The trains run about every 15 mins and is only about a 15 min ride to city. The trains to circular quay run about the same 15 min .

Taxi not sure but could be about $50 Aus. Then there is traffic to consider coming into the city. I think you would be getting pretty close to the 10.30 time by the time you get to the city.

I would probably use the Taxi as it would drop you off exactly where you want to go.

Hope this helps.

We have just stayed at the Marriott Hotel. We got a taxi from the airport and the driver used a toll tunnel. The taxi cost us $43 and took approx. I can't remember exactly how long it took, the trip went very quickly. Probably took approx. 20 mins. Very prompt. We were then greeted by the door staff who promptly unloaded all of our luggage. Excellent service. You will enjoy the hotel.

Hi

If your plane arrives on time it will take you approx 1 hr or more to get through customs.

The train does come into the city but you have to change trains at central to catch one that goes to circular quay cost appox $34 for 2. The trains run about every 15 mins and is only about a 15 min ride to city. The trains to circular quay run about the same 15 min .

city.

Hope this helps.

Ummmm are you sure?

Every airport train I've got went to Central and continued onto Circular Quay. Even the airport train website shows it does that and that there is no change.

http://www.airportlink.com.au/time-table-to-city-weekdays.php

Ummmm are you sure?

Every airport train I've got went to Central and continued onto Circular Quay. Even the airport train website shows it does that and that there is no change.

http://www.airportlink.com.au/time-table-to-city-weekdays.php

all trains going from the airport goes thru Circular Quay but with luggage its a bit of a hassle, taxi might be the better option

Monday Mornings at Sydney International Airport are always busy. Yesterday, in the 30 minutes between 7.30 and 8.00am there were over a dozen flights scheduled to arrive, from places like London, Tokyo, Manila, Abu Dhabi, Bangkok, LA etc etc. (The United flight ex LA was on time) What this means is that it will be very busy going through Customs, Immigration and baggage collection. Allow minimum of 1 hour, not including the long trek from the gate to the arrivals hall.

Then you will need to get your transport. Yes there is a train...but I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone, newly arrived from OS, would want to battle with public transport. A cab will cost you about A$45 but my preference would be to pre book a limo, which would only cost about A$10 more. My reasoning for this is that you will get a personalised service, a guarantee that the driver will speak english, and they will be able to accommodate all your luggage. Most cabs have LPG cylinders installed that take up half the available space in the boot (trunk). So many times have I seen (and endured) luggage being packed onto the rear seat of a cab because it wouldn't fit in the boot.

The cab/Limo ride will take about 25 minutes (you will be past peak hour) so every chance you will get to the Marriot before 10.30, although it might be best to have a phone number for your tour available, so you can ring them if you are delayed.

Enjoy the Marriot, and above all enjoy your visit down under

cheers

all trains going from the airport goes thru Circular Quay but with luggage its a bit of a hassle, taxi might be the better option

True 100%.

But I was question what I thgt appeared to be a piece of incorrect info....however as I don't live in Sydney it's always possible something has changed....

Another point to remember is that quarantine is very strict. If you have something to declare then do so. Quite often the line to declare stuff is shorter (and quicker) than the nothing to declare line. Any wooden products, seeds, medication, foodstuffs, alcohol and ciggies must be declared. Limit for cigarettes is now only 50 sticks. Sports equipment may attract attention as it could have soil on it. If Have your medication in a bag (with the prescription if required) with your hand luggage, tick the box show them what you have and they may wave you through to get your bags xrayed and then you are away. If you have food make sure it is commercial and in sealed packages. Don't bring a jar of your home made spaghetti sauce to give to friends for example.

If your flt is on time, my guess is a 10AM arrival at the Marriott. This allows for 20-30min taxi ride (or train with wait and walk time) plus time to get from gate etc. Customs will take a minimum of 1 hour although i have gone thru in 45 minutes. Taxi's are plentiful and are located nearer exits C & D. I agree that a Limo or personal shuttle is best - they will be waiting for you opposite the exits in the arrivals hall - all lined up in a row under the "Chaeuffer Drivers" sign.

BTW you do not have to change trains. Here is the Airport Link

I agree with you to do a tour to fill in the day in order to adjust to the jet lag. Do not have an afternoon nap as you may sleep longer than anticipated, miss dinner, and then wake up at midnight not being able to get back to sleep. Have an early dinner and retire about 9pm and the next day you will feel fine.

I think nearly everyone in America is on some type of medication (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc). Also bringing some liquor for cocktails the couple nights before the cruise. Will it really be necessary to declare these at customs.

I think nearly everyone in America is on some type of medication (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc). Also bringing some liquor for cocktails the couple nights before the cruise. Will it really be necessary to declare these at customs.

Liquor definitely, medication maybe. The point is you can use 'declaring it' to get into the something to declare line if it appears to be moving faster. To clarify you only declare the liquor if you are over the DF limit.

Limo is a fixed price and taxis use a meter (you probably already realised that). The point is that there is a potential for you to get caught in traffic in which case the taxi may end up more expensive. With the tight time frame you have I would go for a limo/car service unless it is outrageously expensive. I would have thought 60 to 80 dollars would be about right but I don't know the actual costs.

Limo is a fixed price and taxis use a meter (you probably already realised that). The point is that there is a potential for you to get caught in traffic in which case the taxi may end up more expensive. With the tight time frame you have I would go for a limo/car service unless it is outrageously expensive. I would have thought 60 to 80 dollars would be about right but I don't know the actual costs.

Absolutely. We hired a Limo (via internet) when we went to Sydney for our last cruise ex Sydney. Fixed price was A$55 from Domestic airport to Barangaroo. I imagine similar price from Intnl terminal to Marriott.

The really good thing that impressed me, was that we were in direct communication with the driver once we were in the terminal. A couple of text messages to confirm that we had our bags etc, and our beautiful car rolled up to where we were waiting and whisked us away in style. Worth every penny, and highly recommended. If I am asked I can provide web site for the company we used.

cheers

Absolutely. We hired a Limo (via internet) when we went to Sydney for our last cruise ex Sydney. Fixed price was A$55 from Domestic airport to Barangaroo. I imagine similar price from Intnl terminal to Marriott.

Wow! $55 is cheap. I can't find anything close to that. The cheapest I've found is $85 and most are more. And these are just regular cars (not actual limos)

Can you tell me what limo/car service you used?

BUT that doesn't mean a limo is cheaper or cost is fixed.

I can tell you now your flight arrives late or you take longer to get thro Customs/Immigration then there is a charge for waiting. So there is a form of metering. And i imagine that the limo guy will also have other bookings after you.

So you need to be pretty sure about your times and any extra hidden costs. If you look at some of the limo sites as it is there appear to be a number of 'extra' parking costs etc over and above the fare....the fare appears only as a fare for transport and includes tolls. It does not include parking fees or extra waiting time if required.

Wow! $55 is cheap. I can't find anything close to that. The cheapest I've found is $85 and most are more. And these are just regular cars (not actual limos)

Can you tell me what limo/car service you used?

Ther'e not stretch limos...just upmarket Ford Sedans...more correctly designated Hire Cars (with HC Rego Plate)

You can find more info here:

http://www.towncars.com/

There is also another mob operating a similar service, but I have not used them....their web site is at:

http://www.towncars.com.au/go/

A bit of competition always helps to keep the prices down

cheers

BUT that doesn't mean a limo is cheaper or cost is fixed.

I can tell you now your flight arrives late or you take longer to get thro Customs/Immigration then there is a charge for waiting. So there is a form of metering. And i imagine that the limo guy will also have other bookings after you.

So you need to be pretty sure about your times and any extra hidden costs. If you look at some of the limo sites as it is there appear to be a number of 'extra' parking costs etc over and above the fare....the fare appears only as a fare for transport and includes tolls. It does not include parking fees or extra waiting time if required.

Hi Andy

When we used Towncars last year, the arrangement was that they would monitor flight arrivals etc. The driver would then wait in a designated Hire Car area (no charges) and exchange text messages with me about our progress through the baggage collection process. When we were at the kerbside he appeared, loaded our bags and we were off. Cost was as per arranged on internet...no waiting or other charges.

Could be a little different at the International Terminal because of the added times for Immigration and Customs, but I am sure they would take that into account.

As I suggested in other post, increased competition in this area, plus the concept of owner drivers having a franchise arrangement, leads to keener prices.

cheers

Just to clarify the extra charges at Sydney Airport. Drivers have to pay a toll charge to enter the arrivals area which charges in 30/45 minute blocks. At Domestic terminals it is relatively easy for the HC drivers to wait somewhere before entering the tolled picked up areas and aircraft arrivals are generally on time and it takes only 15 minutes or so to get your luggage.

Different story at the International Terminal (T1). Passengers take for ever to get through to the arrivals hall and there is nowhere for the drivers to hold up until you are through. Therefore a communication arrangement with the drivers as to your progress through Customs then Quarantine is much appreciated. Without this arrangement, drivers will generally arrive about 30 minutes after your actual flight arrival. Bookings are generally good for 2 hours after which waiting time is charged.

BTW early afternoon arrivals into Sydney International are quickest.

I would allow at least an hour to get through immigration and then customs- 2 seperate and potentially long queues. I would opt for a limo at that time because the taxi queue can be very long- I have waited between no time aand 45 minutes in thequeue at around that time.

Jennie

Hi Andy

When we used Towncars last year, the arrangement was that they would monitor flight arrivals etc. The driver would then wait in a designated Hire Car area (no charges) and exchange text messages with me about our progress through the baggage collection process. When we were at the kerbside he appeared, loaded our bags and we were off. Cost was as per arranged on internet...no waiting or other charges.

Could be a little different at the International Terminal because of the added times for Immigration and Customs, but I am sure they would take that into account.

As I suggested in other post, increased competition in this area, plus the concept of owner drivers having a franchise arrangement, leads to keener prices.

cheers

Thanks for that.

You have given me some food for thought as well...we are just on a domestic flight but it would be nice getting a towncar to the hotel rather than a train and walk with 2 cases and hand luggage. And your right...it doesn't seem excessive...

I assume the boot space is their for luggage - and i wonder if there is an extra charge for a Sunday.

Hi has anyone had any experience with this company? http://www.sydneyminibus.com.au they have a good price fixed rate from airport to cbd and return. I have made a booking with them but am quickly losing confidence. I have emailed regarding a couple of queries with no response and having a look on tripadvisor hasnt produced any result.

I am beginning to think they could be a dud and I may be best to cancel.

Any feedback good or bad would be greatly appreciated. There is 8 of us and a set price of $65 from airport and $60 to the airport seemed too good to be true, maybe it is!!!! A maxi taxi should work out about the same price but we are then dependent on traffic so I would prefer a fixed price.

Hi Andy

cheers

Hi Flipper,

I've gone with your recommendation and booked Towncars for our Sydney flight next month. They quoted $49 from the domestic terminal to the Old Sydney HI in the Rocks which I thought was a good price if it means no queuing for a taxi.

I assume they will take cash as they say 11% charge for CC?

Archived