What to do on a Sunday in Barbados?

sunshine55

Just got off the NCL Jewel Southern Carribbean cruise and we hit Barbados on a Sunday.

Most stores and Pelican Village are closed. The stores by the pier are open.

We did a short tour of the island (saw Ricky Martin's home) with a taxi driver named Henderson (Hendy) and hired him for the day.

We spent most of our time at the The Crane Hotel and stayed in their beautiful pools and the most spectacular beach in the world....Crane Beach. We hired him for the day since the Crane is about 45 minutes from the pier and wanted to make sure we got back to the ship in time!

I did a short review on these boards if you are interested. Look for the thread with "Has Anyone been to Crane Beach on a Cruise?"

Don

Just got off the NCL Jewel Southern Carribbean cruise and we hit Barbados on a Sunday.

Most stores and Pelican Village are closed. The stores by the pier are open.

We did a short tour of the island (saw Ricky Martin's home) with a taxi driver named Henderson (Hendy) and hired him for the day.

We spent most of our time at the The Crane Hotel and stayed in their beautiful pools and the most spectacular beach in the world....Crane Beach. We hired him for the day since the Crane is about 45 minutes from the pier and wanted to make sure we got back to the ship in time!

I did a short review on these boards if you are interested. Look for the thread with "Has Anyone been to Crane Beach on a Cruise?"

Don

Thanks Don..Will check out your review..May take the Silver Moon. I didn't think the shops would be opened.

My pleasure Sunshine....what ship are you cruising on?

Enjoy your cruise!

I am now in post-cruise depression, so I booked the 12 day Carribbean NCL Breakaway cruise for next January!! :D

Don

We are on the 12-Day Jewel. We enjoy trips in January/February timing. We normally have bookings for the following year at this time but it's been a crazy year and haven't booked for 2014 yet. :eek:

Sunshine,

I just returned from the same cruise on the Jewel....it was fantastic.

I did a thread / review on the NCL main boards entitled:

"Just Back: Jewel 12-Day 1/6-1/18" if you are interested.

I believe by now, it is on page 4 or 5.

I bet you are counting the days! :)

Don

• 2 weeks later...

We also just returned from the "Jewel" and were in Barbados on a Sunday. Shops in the "cruiseport" were open, NOTHING downtown is open on Sundays. We've been to Barbados several times, so we spent the day at the beach (the Boatyard) If you want to tour, independent tours are readily available at the dock for much less than the ships tours and are pretty much identical. They frequently will try to find 6 or 8 people to share a tour by van. Less expensive then a cab for two and it's a nice way to meet some fellow passengers.

We always enjoy a Sunday brunch at The Crane.

They call it a 'gospel brunch' as some of the best gospel singers (and they are good) sing early on. Later in the afternoon they have live steel pan music.

The setting and the view alone are worth it.

It just makes for a wonderful, unique day.

Enjoy! :)

We did an ncl shore excursion to swim with thw turtles. It was great! Last year we went to copacabana beach club. It really is nothing more than a bar and BBQ on the beach. It was Carlyle beach. We were only a few yards from boatyard but we didn't have the crowds. Haven't decided what to do this year yet.

Archived