Shore excursions and making it back to ship...

Ave43

Greetings and hello from freezing Washington DC!

We are cruising over Spring Break (Carnival Fascination) and one of our stops is Key West. We want to partake in a 3.5 shore excursion beginning at 10am. We need to be back for sailing at 2:30. Pretty much leaves us an hour to get back to the port on a 10 minute walk. So that's good.

My question is, how reliable will these excursions be to make sure that those who are sailing, get back in time and not be late. This is an excursion provided by the Key West Visitors Guide. I assume they deal with cruisers alot and keep that in mind. I know it is not their responsibility as it is not an official Carnival excursion. I do plan on asking this before booking. But would like other's experiences please.

Feed back anyone? Think we'll be ok?

Ave

Anytime you do an excursion they will do everything they can to make sure you are back in time. The know these ships schedules, and if they got people back late, the anger would run ramped on these forums. And would be bad for their business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be fine. I was there on vacation by accident when a cruise was docked there last March and it was very crowded so you did a good thing booking an excursion. And the previous poster was right, everything is pretty close you should have no problems. If they have any kind of problems with tour getting back late, I'm pretty sure they inform the ship.

You should be fine. I was there on vacation by accident when a cruise was docked there last March and it was very crowded so you did a good thing booking an excursion. And the previous poster was right, everything is pretty close you should have no problems. If they have any kind of problems with tour getting back late, I'm pretty sure they inform the ship.

OP: You should have enough time given that Key West is not that large, as stated above.

However, since it is not a ship sponsored excursion, the ship will not wait for you if the unforseen happens. Your private tour operator will not contact the ship to let them know they are running behind, however, each day in the Fun Times there is a number listed that you can call to advise the ship if something has come up and you will have difficulty meeting the sailing time. It is up to the port and the captain's discretion whether they can/will wait.

Best of Luck, and enjoy your cruise.

As others have said, the tour guides know you need to get back. Their business and reputation depends on this. Just remind the guide if you get an uneasy feeling or it looks like you are running late.

When we were in St. Thomas a tour bus full of cruisers broke down and a competitor helped the operator out by sending a bus to get his passengers. None of them want the bad press from cruisers not getting back in time.

In addition to everything that has already been stated, it has been my experience in 5 times visiting Key West that the ship NEVER leaves on time. The lines to get back on the ship are always LONG, with everyone arriving at the same time to get on. We were just there the week of 1/5 and the ship was an hour late leaving.

Archived