payless car rental in Tampa just south of Airport.

thesawch

Anyone rent from Payless car rental before in tampa. I have never used them and was wondering about the location in Tampa just south of the airport location for pickup and drop off. The location is Payless car rental on

1965 North Westshore Boulevard. Any info on renting from these guys is appreciated. Thanks in Advance

Don't do it !!!!!!!! Save yourself the grief. PayLess Tpa Airport has a very bad reputation.

I fly from Indy to Tpa several times per year and rent a car from TIA.

I have been tempted in the past, due to really good rates, to rent from Payless UNTIL I read lots of Trip advisor reviews. That PayLess location has been getting bad review for years.

They just offer really bad service and I wouldn't waste my time or take any chances with them.

They are off airport property and for the little bit of money that you will save, renting on site is worth it.

At TIA, I usually get the best rates from Alomo, Dollar or Thrify.

Here is the Trip Advisor link to read some of the reviews.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34678-i156-k4384232-IMHO_Don_t_use_Payless_Car_Rental-Tampa_Florida.html

No matter who I rent from, I always inspect the car vigilantly and report any little thing to the rental booth before I drive away. In addition, if there is any damage or scratches upon your initial inspection, take a pic with your phone while in the parking garage. Make sure the rental co. documents any previous damages or scratches. I have found that you can get blamed very easily for scratches or small dings that were already there upon rental.

Sorry for the rant, but I have rented too many times and have had this pulled on me before. It was a lesson learned.

If you are over 50, try the AARP discount. I paid $11.64 per day for a compact from Alomo last October. It was an 11 day rental so the rate really paid off.

:) Good luck.

Thanks for your input. Coming from Canada and never been to tampa before. maybe I will get a car from Enterprise as I have rented from them before in Phoenix. Is it easy to get a car at the airport in Tampa? I need to be at the Times Forum for a hockey game at 7 PM and out flight gets in at 5:30 PM. So I have 1.5 hours to get a car,check into hotel near the airport and get to the game by 7 PM. Can it be done if our plane is on time??

I have a friend from Warsaw Indiana who works for the kosciusko Sheriffs dept. I thinks thats close to Anderson In is it not?? Thanks from Canada

I agree with the poster above who said "dont do it". We rented on from them and got pulled over by the police. Car had expired licence plates!!! We got a warning, no fine, but had to return immediately to the rental office for another car. There were other problems besides that, but too long a story. I havent rented from Enterprise in Tampa, but I have in other places and had no problem. I just dont have a good feeling about "payless"

sorry Im not familiar with the Times forum, so dnt know for sure if there will be enough time, but Tampa airport seems to be well situated, so 1.5 hrs should be enough.

Thanks for your input. Coming from Canada and never been to tampa before. maybe I will get a car from Enterprise as I have rented from them before in Phoenix. Is it easy to get a car at the airport in Tampa? I need to be at the Times Forum for a hockey game at 7 PM and out flight gets in at 5:30 PM. So I have 1.5 hours to get a car,check into hotel near the airport and get to the game by 7 PM. Can it be done if our plane is on time??

I have a friend from Warsaw Indiana who works for the kosciusko Sheriffs dept. I thinks thats close to Anderson In is it not?? Thanks from Canada

Tampa airport is very fast and efficient. By the time you get from airside to baggage claim your luggage should be on the spinner. From there, you just exit the door and cross the walkway to the Rental Car area. All of the onsite car rental agencies are in one spot. Here is a link to the onsite Tpa Airport car rentals http://www.tampaairport.com/ground_transportation/rental_car_services.asp

Some of the agencies have the quick on-line check in. You just have to check and see which ones. If there are a lot of flights that land together, sometimes the car rental line can back up. The fast-pass check in is the way to go. You can also have someone get the luggage and another get in line for the car rental.

If everything runs smoothly, you should be out of the airport in 30 min tops. You may hit the last of the Tampa rush-hour traffic so that would be your big hold-up if any. T get to the Forum, you exit the airport, get under the sign for I-275 North bound- Tampa. Take 275 N to the Ashley St. Exit and follow the signs for the Forum. It is not far in miles, perhaps a 15 min drive, it would be the traffic that may be backed up some but don't worry, it moves pretty quickly. Just try to stay in the right hand lanes as that will be the direction of your exit. Is your hotel near the Forum in downtown Tampa? If so, you should have enough time.

Warsaw is North-Central Indiana and Anderson is more Eastern-Central but yes, It's a couple of hours drive NW of us. :) They get a lot of that lake effect snow. I don't envy them a bit.

Archived