An Unhappy Carnival on Celebrity?

Bundles917

Time to put my hand up and say I am a fan of both Celebrity and Carnival. I disagree that the people who choose Celebrity are significantly different to those who choose Carnival. Most people I think would enjoy either.

Boy I hope not. We've cruised several lines for about 20 years, like the other poster said, we have not favorite and let the itinerary drives our choices.

However we have cruised Carnvial more than any other because they have a good product for the price. At least until the last year or so. Carnival like other lines are making changes to stay competitive in the market, but it seems the overall experience isn't what it used to be, at least on Carribean cruises. Carnival has always been called the Walmart of the Sea cruise line since we've cruise with them for the last 15 years. They never deserved that title and it used to be a fun discussion on the Carnival forum. Until it seems the last year. Now, as has been seen on the forum, many of their cheer leaders wear the title with pride.

So we are hoping Celebrity has something different to offer.

Burt

Boy I hope not. We've cruised several lines for about 20 years, like the other poster said, we have not favorite and let the itinerary drives our choices.

However we have cruised Carnvial more than any other because they have a good product for the price. At least until the last year or so. Carnival like other lines are making changes to stay competitive in the market, but it seems the overall experience isn't what it used to be, at least on Carribean cruises. Carnival has always been called the Walmart of the Sea cruise line since we've cruise with them for the last 15 years. They never deserved that title and it used to be a fun discussion on the Carnival forum. Until it seems the last year. Now, as has been seen on the forum, many of their cheer leaders wear the title with pride.

Burt

Same thoughts here Burt, after 20+ cruises with Carnival we just booked our first Celebrity cruise... looking forward to our new adventure!

However we have cruised Carnvial more than any other because they have a good product for the price. At least until the last year or so. Carnival like other lines are making changes to stay competitive in the market, but it seems the overall experience isn't what it used to be

To be fair I haven't cruised with Carnival for almost 18 months now and I have noticed a change in Carnival marketing since then, perhaps taking them a bit more down market. I have actually never sailed the Caribbean and I feel that this is where the demographics for each cruise line are the most clearly defined and where any change appears first. Cruising Europe with Carnival it seemed to me that the "Walmart" label didn't quite apply and even in Australia/NZ they seem a step above a certain other cruise line I won't name. But if things are going downhill in the Caribbean it's only a matter of time before it's like that worldwide. Maybe I have been on my last Carnival cruise which makes me sad.

Burt

I should also add that although I found the average cruiser on both lines pretty much the same the cruise experience itself was quite different. There is no doubt that Carnival and Celebrity provide a different product, my argument is that they are both products that have broad appeal across many different demographics.

To be fair I haven't cruised with Carnival for almost 18 months now and I have noticed a change in Carnival marketing since then, perhaps taking them a bit more down market. I have actually never sailed the Caribbean and I feel that this is where the demographics for each cruise line are the most clearly defined and where any change appears first. Cruising Europe with Carnival it seemed to me that the "Walmart" label didn't quite apply and even in Australia/NZ they seem a step above a certain other cruise line I won't name. But if things are going downhill in the Caribbean it's only a matter of time before it's like that worldwide. Maybe I have been on my last Carnival cruise which makes me sad.
Excuse me ? You previously enjoyed Carnival and now you're sad because you have "noticed a change in Carnival marketing " and now won't book with them.

Huh? :confused: I'm not crazy about the latest ads for Coors. Should I stop drinking them?:rolleyes:

Excuse me ? You previously enjoyed Carnival and now you're sad because you have "noticed a change in Carnival marketing " and now won't book with them.

Huh? :confused: I'm not crazy about the latest ads for Coors. Should I stop drinking them?:rolleyes:

It's not just the marketing it's what some people are saying about recent experiences. If the product hasn't actually changed then certainly I would cruise with them. Based on that I am less likely to book a Carnival cruise but if I see enough evidence that the standards haven't slipped then I would still sail Carnival.

Archived