Legend/Belize/excursion question

bagelsnbrew

We're trying to plan an excursion while on the Legend 2/17 sailing. The plan is to go on the Altun Ha tour. I've found several other tour operators offering the same/similar tours for significantly less money. I've also seen some comments about slow tender service from the ship. I'm not too concerned with making it back to the ship, a common reason for using the ships excursion service. I am a bit concerned about the possibility of arriving to shore too late, missing an opportunity. Also, since there are several excursions available for Mayan ruins on this cruise (Cozumel, Belize, Rotaan, Grand Cayman), am I making the best choice?

Pretty sure Cozumel and Belize are the best ports for Mayan ruins. I'd think you'll be okay booking a private tour, especially if not totally pre-paid (ie: small deposit). Most tour operators are very aware of the ships schedule and time constraints.

We're trying to plan an excursion while on the Legend 2/17 sailing. The plan is to go on the Altun Ha tour. I've found several other tour operators offering the same/similar tours for significantly less money. I've also seen some comments about slow tender service from the ship. I'm not too concerned with making it back to the ship, a common reason for using the ships excursion service. I am a bit concerned about the possibility of arriving to shore too late, missing an opportunity. Also, since there are several excursions available for Mayan ruins on this cruise (Cozumel, Belize, Rotaan, Grand Cayman), am I making the best choice?

I have seen significant comments recently about Carnival ships not stopping at Belize. Might want to do a search and read up prior to making any investments in excursions.

our last cruise we went to Belize. we did the xunantunich ruins tour. it was incredible. it was a long ride to get there, but they gave lots of good information about belize. The ruins at xunantunich were amazing! We actually were able to climb the Castillo to the top. That was incredible. Then we had lunch included with our tour and hopped on the bus and went back to the ship. it was a long day but well worth it. it was a carnival sponsored tour

I have been to Altun Ha Ruins, Xunantunich ruins, and Lamanai Mayan ruins in Belize. Like others have said Altun Ha is not much to look at and I don't know if I would waste my time, especially compared to the other two sites. I thought the Lamanai trip was the best. The ride up the river was a blast and the ruins were amazing. The view from the top of the pyramid was spectacular, although a pretty steep climb up the steps. They fed us a nice Belize lunch afterwards and we made it back to the port with plenty of time to spare. Even if you are a little late, there seems to always be a long line for the tenders at the end of the day that lasts beyond the stated last tender time. We booked our Lamanai trip through Island Marketing for $75 each.

While others are recommending taking tours to Xunantunich or Lamanai, both excellent choices, if your desire is to see Altun Ha and not pay the higher tariff for a ship excursion, you can do a tour of these ruins in a reasonably shorter period of time, 4-5 hours, depending on what else is included in the tour. The ship does have tenders which cater to non-ship excursion crusiers. There is an early meeting spot for those using these tenders, or you can show up at the tender meeting spot and grab an early number. You aren't "regulated" to using only later tenders, jus tthat Carnival excursion folks have priority in line. But most tenders out of Belize hold 2-400 passengers and they do line up one after another.

On return, the key in Belize is to be back on the tender pier befor ethe last tender departs for the ship departs, usually 4 PM ship time. And to keep a wrist watch with you on ship time, not your cell phone which mayauto shift to local time. But you should have few worries about going to Altun Ha and back via a reputable private excursion provider.

I was just on the Legend (1/6 to 1/13) and they swapped Belize for Costa Maya. I've heard it happened on subsequent sailings as well.

If you decide to pre-book an excursion I would just make sure to do it with someone who will refund your money if you don't port there.

Thanks to everyone for the help! After reading the advice here, I had second thoughts about Altun Ha. I wanted to do Lamanai because I though the kids would like the boat part, but the tour was booked :(. I also tried to do Tulum (Cozumel) but was told the tour wasn't available due to Legends arrival time. Ended up booking Xunantunich. I'm also going to build up some Costa Maya info to take with me in case we get rerouted. Invaluable information for making a good vacation great, thanks again!!!

Thanks to everyone for the help! After reading the advice here, I had second thoughts about Altun Ha. I wanted to do Lamanai because I though the kids would like the boat part, but the tour was booked :(. I also tried to do Tulum (Cozumel) but was told the tour wasn't available due to Legends arrival time. Ended up booking Xunantunich. I'm also going to build up some Costa Maya info to take with me in case we get rerouted. Invaluable information for making a good vacation great, thanks again!!!

Grab the info for Native Choice in Costa Maya. http://www.thenativechoice.com/

Ivan and David do great Maya ruins tours. However, you should know or will hear this week if the Legend is being rerouted from Belize. The re-routes to CM haven't been last minute decisions rather based on # of ships in port that day versus tenders to service them. Looks like there are 5 ships including the Legend on Feb 20, unless they've already reassigned the Glory.

Wher eever you land, roll with the tide and enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the info! The only excursion I'm obsessing about, heck the only thing I'm obsessing about on this cruise is a Mayan ruin visit. Since my parents were the "beat the same vacation into the ground" type, in reaction I've tried to not do the same thing twice. I view this opportunity for my kids (and myself) to see a Mayan site as the first and possibly last. Now that my kids are reaching an age (8 and 10) where they can grasp the significance of what they are seeing and touching, our future vacations will become a bit more educational in nature. I've already seen a good bit of the Caribbean, so I don't see us returning for a while at least. I'm planning on visits to Rome, Athens as well as Russia, England, Spain and France for future trips. Mix in tours of the US in there too. Maybe the Middle East as well if I ever view the political climate as safe for my kids to travel there. The valley of the kings is probably the place I want to see most of all. We'll get to Asia when they get older and if I'm not bankrupt :). My aim is to broaden their horizons as much as possible, as long as we all have fun doing it.

Archived