Review of Sapphire Beach

aimathy

We took a taxi from our cruise port to Sapphire Beach ($6 pp) and we're so glad we did! The beach is beautiful and the views of St. John from the shore are stunning. The weather wasn't really on our side and we had some clouds, some sun and lots and lots of wind. Because of the wind, the water was quite rough and a bit chillier than we had hoped for. Other than that, it was the perfect place to go. It was not crowded, there's a place to rent chairs and umbrellas. You can rent snorkel gear by the hour or the day, along with kayaks. (We rented snorkel gear but had to give up since it was so rough.) There are beautiful Seagrape trees lining the beach, so if it were sunnier out, there would have been plenty of shade and it was quiet scenic overall. We set up under the trees and had a very nice day. We did eat there, though we were told the hotel had a snack bar (which looked liked burgers and dogs) and they said we could order pizza from a local pizza place that would be delivered. We got a few beers from them ($3 each! Can't complain about that!) and had a very nice time. We didn't stay as long as we'd hoped due to the weather, but we would go back in a heartbeat again when in St. Thomas.

The last time I visited Sapphire Beach, was my first visit to St. Thomas back in December 2007. If we do a specific cruise I'm interested, that includes a stop to St. Thomas, that beach will be the one we visit for the day. During out previous cruise 2 years ago, we went to Coki Beach, but we want to head back to Sapphire.

I have a question, since you took a taxi to that beach, were there plenty of taxis available at the ready, when you were ready to head back to your cruise ship?

Yes carib dreamer there are taxis coming and going throughout the day at Sapphire.

If you want to make sure you don't share the same ideas with tug that I did check my reply earlier.

Thank you for all of the info that you provide. When we stayed on St. Thomas back in 2007, we rented a condo for a week, which is near the marina close to Sapphire Beach, so we were able to just walk for 5 minutes to get there. It's also good to know that there are restroom facilities there, as well as a place to get something to eat or drink, if need be.

Thank you for posting your review. So glad to hear how nice it is as this is how we plan on spending our day in St. Thomas in March.

Please post your review of the beach when you return--we plan on going in April. Thanks! Sue

Thank you for all of the info that you provide. When we stayed on St. Thomas back in 2007, we rented a condo for a week, which is near the marina close to Sapphire Beach, so we were able to just walk for 5 minutes to get there. It's also good to know that there are restroom facilities there, as well as a place to get something to eat or drink, if need be.

Yes it's a shame the Sapphire restaurant and pool bar aren't open but it is still a great beach to relax on with enough options. We've spent a week twice at Sapphire and we've also looked at condos at other properties and nothing else compares for us. I know some folks are looking for a full-service resort, and for those the Ritz Carlton is a short drive the other side of red Hook. But Sapphire has the nicest beach and condos we've seen on STT.

I just read on a site from a tour guide, Godfrey, he says the restrooms are not maintained either. Is this accurate?

For some reason Godfrey has been directing customers away from Sapphire Beach for years. I have been there twice since he has been speaking bad about it and it is still my favorite beach ever. I don't know why he says it's so bad. I am sure he is an excellent tour guide. I have seen many good reviews about him. But in this area I disagree.

The restrooms are at a beach and do get sandy by the end of the day. I have been in beach bathrooms all over and this is about the same as others I have been in - as a matter of fact I have been in worse. At least they have flush toilets!

Someone brings up that post every month or so, gets old after awhile for sure. The restaurant and pool bar have been closed at the Sapphire Beach condo resort for some time due to management and condo assn issues. So this is not a full-service resort property. There is a dive center with restrooms that are maintained pretty well as compared to other beaches we've been to. As Sunny said during the course of the day they can become "used" and there isn't a full-time cleaning person to pick up after you. But the restrooms are nicer than most.

If someone is looking for a full-service resort and sparkling restrooms all day with an attendant taking tops they may want to consider the Ritz down the road but I don't believe they offer day passes. But for normal folks there's nothing to worry about so enjoy your day on a beautiful bay!

Edited by blue_water

Someone brings up that post every month or so, gets old after awhile for sure. The restaurant and pool bar have been closed at the Sapphire Beach condo resort for some time due to management and condo assn issues. So this is not a full-service resort property. There is a dive center with restrooms that are maintained pretty well as compared to other beaches we've been to. As Sunny said during the course of the day they can become "used" and there isn't a full-time cleaning person to pick up after you. But the restrooms are nicer than most.

If someone is looking for a full-service resort and sparkling restrooms all day with an attendant taking tops they may want to consider the Ritz down the road but I don't believe they offer day passes. But for normal folks there's nothing to worry about so enjoy your day on a beautiful bay!

This is good to hear. I have always enjoyed going there. Since Godfrey wont stop there, we will try Sunny.

Never have I seen as many posts on bathroom conditions as I have on this St Thomas board concerning Sapphire beach. And this has been going on for a few years now. What's up with Sapphire and bathroom conditions? If you've ever been to some of the facilities on Orient beach you'll have no problem here.

For any late comers, scroll back to post #18 for a few pics I posted.

Edited by cemor66
because I can

Here's one more pic from my St Thomas collection. This is probably around noon, and we can see a gent rolling his cleaning gear into the bathroom for a sprucing up. To the left, where the girl is sitting, is the small dive shop.

DSCN3474_zps26d01c5e.jpg

Yes it's a shame the Sapphire restaurant and pool bar aren't open but it is still a great beach to relax on with enough options. We've spent a week twice at Sapphire and we've also looked at condos at other properties and nothing else compares for us. I know some folks are looking for a full-service resort, and for those the Ritz Carlton is a short drive the other side of red Hook. But Sapphire has the nicest beach and condos we've seen on STT.

Our last time on St. Thomas was December 2008 for a cruise, and we chose Coki Beach that time; this time, we do Sapphire.

Our last time on St. Thomas was December 2008 for a cruise, and we chose Coki Beach that time; this time, we do Sapphire.

We love Coki for the sand and the beauty of the bay, but it can get crowded there. I think you'll like Sapphire after getting settled in. The views are nice, the beach and water are beautiful, and having the condo resorts there make it very safe with no vendors except for the grills that are at the resorts.

The regular guests at the Sapphire condos are also very friendly on the whole and love to help with any questions such as where the prime snorkel spots are or what's good at the beach grill (Banana Cabana). If you see folks sitting in "non-rented" chairs they are owners or guests and don't be afraid to ask them for advice. The dive center staff is good, but the ppl who live there can offer more insight.

Enjoy!

Edited by blue_water

No experience required for the stand-up paddle boards, most ppl we saw on them were obviously first-timers and we had a good laugh watching them everyday. They also rent them at Magen's Bay, the guy there does give a quick lesson, basically learn to get your balance before being too adventurous. I'm sure there are "how to" videos on YouTube too. Mose beginners have a hard time because they don't stand correctly to maintain balance on the water...I haven't tried it so I know I would be just as funny to watch as the ppl we were laughing at!:p

Yes there are 6 jet skis at the marina, the office is in a small trailer by the jet skis, and the dive center at the beach rents stand-up paddle boards and kayaks.

Great thanks.

It'll give my DD15 something to do and maybe us. I wouldn't mind trying the stand-up paddle board, it should be entertaining watching me :p

No experience required for the stand-up paddle boards, most ppl we saw on them were obviously first-timers and we had a good laugh watching them everyday. They also rent them at Magen's Bay, the guy there does give a quick lesson, basically learn to get your balance before being too adventurous. I'm sure there are "how to" videos on YouTube too. Mose beginners have a hard time because they don't stand correctly to maintain balance on the water...I haven't tried it so I know I would be just as funny to watch as the ppl we were laughing at!:p

.....and maybe some videos of those 1st -timers on you tube! Thanks for the tip. Will check it out.

We were at Sapphire on Jan 30, 2013. The water color was gorgeous, nice views of other islands. Was fairly windy this day, so snorkeling was rough and took a lot of energy. Tried to find turtles in the grass and never got back in to look over coral area. People I talked with said it wasn't clear that day. NCL is now bringing groups to Sapphire, one group was there when we arrived, another came later in the day. It did not seem too crowded. We did not purchase food, just drinks and fresh coconuts to try the coconut milk. The bathrooms were ok to use just sandy, but you are at the beach! One concern for families though is that the men's and women's bathrooms are right next to each other. If the men don't close the door (which many didn't) the urinals are in clear sight. It was a nice beach day, easily done on your own from a cruise ship. Jolly was our taxi driver and he returned right on time to take us back. We asked to go to the drive overlooking the port (skyline drive?) which we tipped extra for. Well worth the visit. Thanks, Jolly and thanks Blue Water for the suggestions at help for beach choice.