Cancel or be a "no show"

2 cruzen

Just found out today that my son and his girlfriend are breaking up. We are set to sail On Feb 10 - 16 days from now. Our daughter is also booked in their cabin. We booked ES and do NOT have travel insurance. I did a search and it looks like if we cancel, we will only get a 25% refund on the 3rd passenger fare which amounts to $50.00. Being ES, just a couple of days ago, we got an $100.00 OBC for the room.

I'm thinking we will be better off just having the girlfriend be a "no show" - lose the fare, but keep the OBC. Also from my previous search, it was indicated that we would get port fees/taxes refunded which amounts to about $112.

Does anyone have any additional insight to the best solution to this problem. I have also read that we shouldn't "tell" it's a no show, but why?

Please just helpful answers....don't need any lectures about buying travel insurance. TIA.

OP: Best off to have them as a no-show at the port. That way you get to keep your OBC and Carnival won't make you change cabins because of only 2 people in a 3 or 4 person cabin.

It's unfortunate that situations such as this arise, but the split is far better off being done before the cruise rather than during...could have made for a very miserable vacation for all in that cabin.

We had a person cancel on us once. It was within the 75% penalty so we got 25% back plus port charges and prepaid gratuities. If you booked with a TA you should contact them ASAP.

thank you...my husband is calling our PVP

OP: Best off to have them as a no-show at the port. That way you get to keep your OBC and Carnival won't make you change cabins because of only 2 people in a 3 or 4 person cabin.

It's unfortunate that situations such as this arise, but the split is far better off being done before the cruise rather than during...could have made for a very miserable vacation for all in that cabin.

Yes, we booked cabins close by so we could all be together.

Yes, I guess it's fortunate....for our daughter who would be sharing the cabin, but still hard for our son who is pretty miserable right now. :(

This is our 2nd try at a family cruise....first one didn't go so great, so we downscaled "the family" and only brought kids + girlfriend....doesn't look that this one is going to start so great, but hopefully once on board, misery will fade. My son was/is REALLY looking forward to Jamaica. We were celebrating his birthday on board too. I have a heavy heart right now.

Ummmm. My son's girlfriend is paying her own way. So if they breakup, than it wouldn't be my problem. Just something for others to think about when dealing with young adults/kids

It's not JUST about the money. We were really looking forward to a wonderful family time. With your situation, it might still be your problem if they are booked in the same cabin and then break up....son might be bunking with you! :eek:

2 cruzen, we have the exact situation happening for our cruise 3/3. Our daughter broke up with her boyfriend. I called my TA yesterday, as we also booked ES rates. The advice I was given, have them a no show. I was worried we would be charged a single occupancy rate, but she said we've already paid for 2 persons, so in fact our daughter has paid the equivalent of single occ. Hope that helps.

Carnival won't make you change cabins because of only 2 people in a 3 or 4 person cabin.

Read that just this morning. I booked a G suite on Fantasy YET CCL has the right to sail "full" and guest can be switched to a cabin based on # of guest.

I've neard had this problem but we picked which cabin we wanted - not so thrilled to be going :(

2 cruzen, we have the exact situation happening for our cruise 3/3. Our daughter broke up with her boyfriend. I called my TA yesterday, as we also booked ES rates. The advice I was given, have them a no show. I was worried we would be charged a single occupancy rate, but she said we've already paid for 2 persons, so in fact our daughter has paid the equivalent of single occ. Hope that helps.

Thank you

Read that just this morning. I booked a G suite on Fantasy YET CCL has the right to sail "full" and guest can be switched to a cabin based on # of guest.

I've neard had this problem but we picked which cabin we wanted - not so thrilled to be going :(

My son backed out a couple of weeks ago. I called carnival and they told me that we could be forced to change rooms if we cancelled him. They ended up working with us and we upgraded to a suite so we could all stay together.

My stepbrother has done this twice, two different girlfriends. He had them as a no show both times. Not a problem, kept his OBC. This time the lady we spoke to at Carnival told us to just book him as a single. He LOVES cruising solo now!

We had this problem last week with our wedding cruise. Four members of my wife's family were unable to attend and we paid for them using ES and no travel insurance. They didn't show up for a reason that's covered by insurance, so we actually saved some money by not purchasing it. We knew two weeks in advance, but figured that we'd already paid for the rooms, so we might as well use them and get the OBC. We just told the people who were staying with them to mention that w,x,y, and z person were parking the car.

I wouldn't cancel...you never know, people break up & get back together (hopeless romantic here)! Just saying...you never know! Unless you know more than we do;) I hope your son will have a great cruise, there are a lot of people on a ship. Just encourage him to meet others. I hope you all have a great cruise.

My stepbrother has done this twice, two different girlfriends. He had them as a no show both times. Not a problem, kept his OBC. This time the lady we spoke to at Carnival told us to just book him as a single. He LOVES cruising solo now!

Doe's he not see a pattern developing? :):D:cool:

I wouldn't cancel...you never know, people break up & get back together (hopeless romantic here)! Just saying...you never know! Unless you know more than we do;) I hope your son will have a great cruise, there are a lot of people on a ship. Just encourage him to meet others. I hope you all have a great cruise.

We probably won't - would have to by tomorrow to get ANY sort of refund, but with the 3rd person (daughter) in the room, the refund is going to be based on that rate and not my son's girlfriend's rate. You know, I just want a happy cruise so hopefully feelings won't be so raw in two weeks. We did get insurance on the flights, so we can get that money back - $440 - more than the cruise cost. :eek:

Thank you for your kind and encouraging message.

We had this problem last week with our wedding cruise. Four members of my wife's family were unable to attend and we paid for them using ES and no travel insurance. They didn't show up for a reason that's covered by insurance, so we actually saved some money by not purchasing it. We knew two weeks in advance, but figured that we'd already paid for the rooms, so we might as well use them and get the OBC. We just told the people who were staying with them to mention that w,x,y, and z person were parking the car.

Our rooms are linked, so won't we have to tell them at check-in that she is not coming? Why wouldn't we do that? Someone else suggested to not mention she is not coming and I guess I don't understand why? Would they take some of the OBC away? Luckily, I'm not familiar with this situation.

Archived