Has Anyone traveled to a port via Amtrak

lucky13elec

I just cruised out of Baltimore a week ago -- my second time. It was fabulous! You'll enjoy it.

Our next cruise is on the Dream and my family and I are taking the auto train to FL. My son in particiular I think is more looking forward to the train than the cruise. :)

Enjoy!

I'm takihg the train from Chicago to new Orleans next month. There's an Amtrak bus that will get me from Madison to Chicago. This means no driving to Chi in Feb weather n leaving my car (hubby taking me to Madison) I'm soooo excited n now so relaxed to. I love the train n even treated myself to a roomette on the way down. A first for me:D

What day are you riding the Amtrak. Our group will be on it February 15th from Chicago to NOL. If you are on it you may want to join us always allot of fun...

You forgot when traveling during the dead of winter someone has to get out and make sure the switch did it's thing.:p

Why is when the mail car becomes detached all the cars behind it lose all their power?- no emergencies, nothing.

We traveled in the dead of winter once - LAX-NYC thru Vegas and SLC.

Amtrak no longer does this route as no more passenger trains go thru the Cajon Pass and the 15 got rerouted. Worst trip of our lives and we have the best travel stories from it.

A friend of ours who will be riding the Amtrak on the way to New Orleans on the 15th with us. put the switches in in Jackson MS. He is so excited that we will see what his job does,

I agree with you 100%. For our first cruise back in 2002 we took Amtrak from Chicago to New Orleans because DH thought our daughter should experience a train trip. It was the longest 18 hours of my life. Don't base the cost just on train fare versus airfare. If you take the train and it is a long ride you need to factor in the cost of food. Food in the dining car on amtrak is on the pricy side. With our ride from hell we lift Chicago at 8 PM and arrived in NOLA the next afternoon at 2 PM, so we needed both breakfast and lunch on the train. Returning home we left NOLA at 2PM and arrived in Chicago at 8 AM the next morning, so we had to have dinner on the train. Besides eating there is absolutely nothing to do. You can only play cards for so long before that gets old.

Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your train ride. There are 8 of us going and we are bringing our own food and drinks on board. We may play cards but with our group there is always something to talk about and do. We are actually looking forward to the scenery seeing that we will never travel by car there. What it would have cost us to go by plane and wait in airports added luggage fee we are going to use the extra money for the night in NOL.

Wow. I am jealous of all of you that have this as an option. We have an amtrack station within walking distance of my work. But its like $750.00 rt for the three of us, leaving on Friday and arrive in NOLA in the middle of the night Sunday morning (like 2 a.m.). So we would still have to pay for a hotel but be there just a couple of hours. Perhaps if DD were older (she is two :eek:), but right now just seems like a nightmare. I will keep it in the back of my mind though. I did not check out AAA or cruise discounts, maybe that would have made a difference. For the time being, we will just drive to NOLA. Or DH will anyway. :D

OP, I see you are from Virginia. If Lorton, Va isn't too far, you might want to look into taking the Autotrain. It's not the fastest means of convenyance -it's an overnight trip - but it has a lot of advantages. We have taken the Autotrain several times. It's has always been an enjoyable and comfortable experience. Pricewise, sometimes it was cheaper than flying and other times it wasn't. It depended on whether we hit a "Kids-ride-free" special. Factoring in that dinner and breakfast is included (and the food is good) and there is no luggage fee, it balances things a bit.

Edited by Silent Penguin

I've taken amtrak to Florida numerous times. Now that I'm in VA I've started using the auto train and love it. The auto train is pretty much right on time, the regular trains not so much. Either way, the train becomes an adventure, my kids (now 19/22) to this day still love train travel. Oh the people you meet! Right now amtrak has a good sale going on.

What day are you riding the Amtrak. Our group will be on it February 15th from Chicago to NOL. If you are on it you may want to join us always allot of fun...

Great! Im traveling that day too! It will just be me so I was looking to find some ppl to hang out with. I have roomette 6. Dont know how else to identify myself;):rolleyes: lol

Will be on board Feb 7 from Syracuse to Ft. Lauderdale for the sailing of Carnival Freedom on the 9th. This will be my wifes third time that we have taken Amtrak to catch a cruise. The first was to propose (Celebrity Century), second for the honeymoon (Carnival Miracle). We looked at airfares and with the luggage charges she said let take the train.

For me it is not a question as I would go my rail anyday. Already booked a trip to Seattle to continue onto Alaska in September.

Will you please come back & post here about your train experience when it's done? I am seriously considering doing the auto-train in February 2014...to catch the Noordam out of Ft.Lauderdale. Until then, all of my cruises are leaving from NY. :o:).

Make sure you book by phone. Give Amtrak the code V416. Thats the Carnival cruise code & you will get 20% off the fares. You will also need to give them your Carnival booking number.

I booked Amtrak today for the Fascination.

I tried the code and they said it didn't work. Where are you leaving from? I wonder if it just for your area. Also Where did you get the code I am talking to Carnival and they are looking like crazy for us..

Great! Im traveling that day too! It will just be me so I was looking to find some ppl to hang out with. I have roomette 6. Dont know how else to identify myself;):rolleyes: lol

There are 4 couples going. I have dark hair and I will be with the ones that will laugh all the time. Couple of the guys have mustaches. We will be going on in Kankakee,. How neat to be able to meet someone before the cruise. We have regular seats.

I just cruised out of Baltimore a week ago -- my second time. It was fabulous! You'll enjoy it.

Our next cruise is on the Dream and my family and I are taking the auto train to FL. My son in particiular I think is more looking forward to the train than the cruise. :)

Enjoy!

Could I please ask you, (also ;)) to come back here, after your Dream cruise, & let me know how the auto-train was for you? Many thanks.

The savings would have to be extremely significant for us to take Amtrak rather than fly or drive. We're in NYC, and have taken the train to Boston, but that's about the limit of our patience for the train. My time and sanity is worth whatever money it would save us to take the train to Florida or any other really distant port.

I agree with you 100%. For our first cruise back in 2002 we took Amtrak from Chicago to New Orleans because DH thought our daughter should experience a train trip. It was the longest 18 hours of my life. Don't base the cost just on train fare versus airfare. If you take the train and it is a long ride you need to factor in the cost of food. Food in the dining car on amtrak is on the pricy side. With our ride from hell we lift Chicago at 8 PM and arrived in NOLA the next afternoon at 2 PM, so we needed both breakfast and lunch on the train. Returning home we left NOLA at 2PM and arrived in Chicago at 8 AM the next morning, so we had to have dinner on the train. Besides eating there is absolutely nothing to do. You can only play cards for so long before that gets old.

I think travelling by Amtrak is very subjective. Some people simply will not fly so it is the only viable option besides driving. The length of the trip makes a big difference. Anyone can handle a 10-12 hour trip, especially if overnight. If you spring for a private room, that would make any length trip more palatable, but the cost will be similar to flying. Some people just love trains. Personally, I would rather drive from NYC to Miami than take Amtrak, but I would consider a train ride to DC or Boston.

There are 4 couples going. I have dark hair and I will be with the ones that will laugh all the time. Couple of the guys have mustaches. We will be going on in Kankakee,. How neat to be able to meet someone before the cruise. We have regular seats.

Ill look for you guys at Kankakee. I have dark shoulder lenth hair myself, 43 and about 5'6". my name is Gena:)

Im cruising on the Elation with my mom but shes meeting me in NOLA. she lives Arizona over the winter. Not sure why she needs a winter get away:rolleyes::p;) Hha

• 4 weeks later...
Will you please come back & post here about your train experience when it's done? I am seriously considering doing the auto-train in February 2014...to catch the Noordam out of Ft.Lauderdale. Until then, all of my cruises are leaving from NY. :o:).

Had a great trip south from Syracuse to New York City. After arrival at Penn Station checked the bags for Ft. Lauderdale then went to the Acela Lounge to wait for boarding of #97 Silver Meteor. Enjoyed dinner around Baltimore and then breakfast at Jesep, GA. Arrived at Ft. Lauderdale and was in a cab to our hotel in just minutes. Since taking the train we missed all of the winter storm and airport closing. Did hear about one couple from the Northeast that had their flight cancelled and drove all the way. Then they had to get off the ship and head right back north non-stop.

After returning from the cruise went to the hotel to enjoy rest of the day. Next morning taxi to the station and quick checked our bags for Penn Station NYC. After boarding #98 Silver Meteor and into our Roomette we headed to the diner for a great breakfast. Shortly after leaving Orlando we has a delay with our locomotives that put us about three hours late. Had a connection to make in NYC but arriving late we had missed it. The next train would be two hours later which was no problem. First went to the ticket window and explained to the agent that our connection was missed. Looking up our reservation she said that we already have been rebooked onto #49 and gave us new etickets for the trip. Since the second train had checked baggage I picked up our bags and rechecked them to Syracuse. Arrived home three hours later than originally planned.

Amtrak's ontime record has gotten better but plan on getting there the night before, JIC.

Did this once to Texas and it still involved a LONG limo ride from Houston to the ship in Galveston....my fault as I was NOT into flying then!

But on the return trip, the tracks had been rained out.....NO trains running for 3 days minimum....so I was forced to book three flights LAST MINUTE PRICES! from Houston to Los Angeles! VERY expensive and not what I had planned as we already had a one night layover in Houston!

That being said, IF you can afford a sleeper compartment, travelling be train is something that everyone should try - even if just once! BUT be sure to leave enough time as Amtrak is KNOWN for being late! So plan accordingly.....

I am trying to avoid the 20 hour round trip drive to/from Jacksonville. I can find good airfare from JAX to either BWI or DCA. But getting to JAX by air is too expensive for us. I will only fly a direct flight the day of sailing & the day before you have the hotel cost also.

So has anyone taken Amtrak? If so how was it?

This would be an 11.5 hour trip by train. I have no idea about being on a train for that long. I haven't been on Amtrak since the 1970's.

But we would be in a car for 10 hrs if we drove. The other bonus is we fly back. No long drive home! Cost would be $200pp round trip for 4 of us. Would you do it?

I love Amtrak. Would use it a lot if they didn't close down the Southern route from Florida to New Orleans after Katrina. It's nice being able to get up & walk around. There is a snack/bar car which is nice. Expensive, but it's there.

Had a great trip south from Syracuse to New York City. After arrival at Penn Station checked the bags for Ft. Lauderdale then went to the Acela Lounge to wait for boarding of #97 Silver Meteor. Enjoyed dinner around Baltimore and then breakfast at Jesep, GA. Arrived at Ft. Lauderdale and was in a cab to our hotel in just minutes. Since taking the train we missed all of the winter storm and airport closing. Did hear about one couple from the Northeast that had their flight cancelled and drove all the way. Then they had to get off the ship and head right back north non-stop.

After returning from the cruise went to the hotel to enjoy rest of the day. Next morning taxi to the station and quick checked our bags for Penn Station NYC. After boarding #98 Silver Meteor and into our Roomette we headed to the diner for a great breakfast. Shortly after leaving Orlando we has a delay with our locomotives that put us about three hours late. Had a connection to make in NYC but arriving late we had missed it. The next train would be two hours later which was no problem. First went to the ticket window and explained to the agent that our connection was missed. Looking up our reservation she said that we already have been rebooked onto #49 and gave us new etickets for the trip. Since the second train had checked baggage I picked up our bags and rechecked them to Syracuse. Arrived home three hours later than originally planned.

Thank you soooo much for reporting back! It sounds like it worked well for you, even with 1 little hiccup! I'm now 99% certain that I'm going to go down to Ft.Lauderdale next year by train...but I'm going to drive from NY to Lorton VA & board the auto-train. Hope your cruise was fabulous!

We are traveling to Penn Station for the first time--well first time on train for many of us--and have questions about the station itself. Do you pick up your luggage as you do at the airport. Is it easy to find your way around the station as we have been told we must exit on 8th street to get to our hotel that is 2 blocks away. I have traveled quite alotin my life but finding this a little intimidating. Thank you.

We are traveling to Penn Station for the first time--well first time on train for many of us--and have questions about the station itself. Do you pick up your luggage as you do at the airport. Is it easy to find your way around the station as we have been told we must exit on 8th street to get to our hotel that is 2 blocks away. I have traveled quite alotin my life but finding this a little intimidating. Thank you.

Baggage pick up and check in in located at the South end of the station near Gates 5-6-7 (Penn Station track entrance are called Gates either West Gate of East Gate) Located near by is the Acela Lounge for First Class Passengers. Coach passengers can wait near the center of the station. West side is the location of the ticket agents. Excess to the streets are easy and well marked. Exit to 8th Avenue will be the the Northwest and Southwest sides of the waiting area. It is not like an airport where you have to travel from one end to another to make connections. Since my preivous trip last year couple new food outlets opened up servicing healthier selections.

Not sure where you are coming from. If your inbound train has checked baggage and your outbound train and the final station has checked baggage you can check you bags right through to your final destination.

• 1 month later...

I have spent hours upon hours online trying to incorporate Amtrak into our next cruise plans. Not only do I not fly anymore, but I thought it would be nice to travel this way as well as maybe being a bit more inexpensive than airline tickets. I have come away with a bad taste in my mouth at all the problems I have encountered. I have been unable to get straight answers from TA's and can not seem to log on the Amtrak site and get info without filling out repeated registrations. The prices I do find for travel to ports such as NOLA, Tampa, and Miami are anything but inexpensive and take up to a couple of days to complete. Online reviews by those having traveled similar routes are fraught with negative issues. I have decided to either fly again or drive myself. I would opt for doing away with any further government subsidies for Amtrak.

Bob

We took the train from Birmingham to New Orleans.It was a 7 hour trip (same as driving),

but, with 5 or 6 stops.We left the day before our cruise, since we wouldn't get off the train till 7:30

and we had to stay a extraday in New Orleans, since the train left before the ship docked

.It was a relaxing ride.We brought snacks on with us and they gave you pillow and blankets.

It was much cheaper than driving or flying.

I have never done it, but I have priced out the City of New Orleans from Memphis to New Orleans.

It was a bit pricey and then there was that extra day you mention.

We could not do it that time as DH is not permitted to take much vacation at a time.(They would prefer that he never used his vacation I guess)

But the train is on my bucket list as I have never done it.

I am told that the price of the train fluctuates like air and cruise prices do, but I don't know.

Anyone understand how to recognize a good train fare?

I haven't done Amtrak yet, but planning on it. I have terrible anxiety about flying (I think it's the claustrophobia in the economy class - which is all I can afford) and lately, while I used to love road trips, I now hate those too. Too many semi's and fast drivers and my back can't take the long hours in one seat.

OOOPS - I guess that's called GETTIN OLD!!! LOL

Not sure the issue with getting information on pricing and routing - I don't have to register at the Amtrak site for that?

It is quite a research project though. Our closest station requires I always go to DC before going south - no thanks. But then as I started widening the net I found some where I can go south - great, but no place to leave the car safely so someone has to drive us - and that's a bit of pain. Finally found a station I can safely leave my car at not too far away, and great inexpensive and just overnight trips down to the Florida ports. Okay, so the train doesn't leave til 1:45 in the morning. But that's a little inconvenience to avoid the above mentioned.

I'll report after I take my first one and tell you how it goes.

I disagree with the above poster, though - I would be happy if we'd stop subsidizing oil companys and private companies - and put MORE money into the trains so we could get better routes that got priority over the freight trains (that's why all the delays). Then more trains, rails, and more stations (like in my home town) so I didn't have to go to freakin seattle to get to houston - just kidding. That is extreme, but you get my point. And while I'm Diva for the Day - lets add more sleeper cars so the price on those could go down - that would be fabulous - lol. I do like the new healthier menu options at the snack bar - Naked juice - yum! Course that doesn't mean it'll be "in stock" - but who knows? It'll be an adventure no matter what.