Warning for anyone who has booked and paid for flight seats

nyree

Hi all

A warning for anyone who has booked flight seats online - have just come back from Azura and had booked Flight Seats 3 months ago online, I even phoned P&O at the time because of all the website and flight booker problems they have been having and they confirmed I definitely had those seats booked. They showed on Cruise Personaliser and I had proof of payment so thought no more about it.

On board Horizon paper showed that the Flight Team had a session for anyone who hadn't already to book seats, but specifically said 'do not attend if you've already booked seats online'

2 nights before departure the Boarding Passes were delivered to our cabin - but not the seats we booked!! These were not delivered until late so when I went to reception they said they couldn't do anything it was Flights and they are only open 8am till 6pm - and we had a tour the next day from 8am until 5pm - so they would get Flight Team to look into it.

Next day (day before flight) after the tour I went to reception to get the Flight Team but they said they were busy with other flights and so couldn't deal with my query. When they eventually did they said there are problems and they often get flights booked on shore don't come through to them - but even though I had my proof of payment they'd now sold my seats to someone else - so refused to do anything about it - they were not interested at all and would not refund my money - they say they can't do that on board I have to do it with P&O direct when I get home! Now I'm home they won't give me a refund still over the phone, even though they say they know I didn't get my seats I paid for I have to email a specific department - so they still have my money they took for something which they then re-sold (and have had my money for 3 months)!!

So, a warning that if you've pre-booked seats and want to be certain you have them make sure you go and speak to the Flight Department on board to make sure they have got the details from on shore before they assign all the seats - as they then will not change them under any circumstances they told me

Rather than not receiving your return flight details, it seems more likely you have been bumped, possibly because someone who didn't bother booking flights but with a bit of sway,friends or family amongst the crew, decided they wished to choose their return seats. This happened to us at the time when you arrived early at the airport, thus getting the same seats for both journeys. I will most certainly identifying our reserved seating on the flight ticket envelope.

If you are on Facebook put your complaint on P&O's page. It may speed things up.

Cb

Thanks Cruisebore - yes I plan to put something on Facebook as well - hadn't even thought of what you said - on board the girl told me that she'd phoned on shore and they confirmed that they could definitely see the seats booked online still but she didn't have it on her system - seems very bizarre that it's not the same system mmmm (this was the day before the flight), but then when I phoned the lady at P&O head office said there was a 'technical' problem and my seats 'disappeared' 2 days before the flight - and they were just not interested that I said the girl on board confirmed they were still showing the day before the flight! This lady was just relaying a message as the 'senior officers' that as she said 'were totally aware of my case' (probably because of my compaints on board) but they would not speak to me - she was not allowed to put me through just kept saying I have to email reservations@pocruises and that is the only procedure available to get my money back

They do seem to be blaming everything on 'technical' problems lately, the web problems the other month, the cruise personaliser problems, the flight booker problems, the forum problems, etc. etc.

PS. I thought about putting my seats on the envelope but it specifically states do not put any comments on or in this envelope - so they may well ignore that

If they know they have problems as she told me then they should either find the root cause of the problem and sort it - or just have an extra early flight session where you have to go if you booked online to confirm they've got your flight details ;)

P&O passing the buck again!

Doesn't matter whose fault it was, the way you were treated was disgraceful.

Vote with your feet!

Lou

Hi Lou

Yes we're definitely voting with our feet :)

I booked seats last year on flight booker, for myself and hubby, son and his girlfriend, so we could be seated together, especially as i have only flown a few times, and am really really nervous.

all seemed to go to plan, and within 6 minutes of seats being released, i had paid, and email confirmation of seat reservations and numbers.

Checked in at airport, and tried to relax. just as we were boarding, son went through first, then when we went next, we were told our seats had been changed, ...at which point i nearly passed out, ... my head was telling me i shouldnt go on this plane, and this was a bad omen

(irrational i know, but fear usually is irrational !!)

Asked why, when we had paid, and had supporting email, he said probably someone else has booked them first, i knew this could not be the case, as nobody else could have been quicker than i had, and the system dosent allow double booking, as the seats are blocked once payment is confirmed. We were told to wait to one side, whilst everyone else boarded the plane. This was hugely embarrassing, with everyone filing past us, wondering what we had done wrong to not be allowed on the plane. After about 30 minutes, and insisting i would not be split from my family, and lots of officials going on andoff the plane with my paperwork, the guys that were sat in our seats were removed by staff to other seats, and we were allowed the ones we had paid for.

It was even more embarrasing when we had to walk on a packed plane to our seats, with everyone looking at us, knowing that this whole issue has held up the plane.

It turned out that another couple had booked these seats and paid for them via a travel agent, but the travel agent hadnt actually booked them, ........they were unable to because we already had them,.... but hadnt informed their clients, and i didnt actually find this out, until we were several days into our cruise, and i went to check that we wouldnt have the same problem on the return journey.

To be honest, i really felt for this couple, they genuinely thought their agent had reserved those seats, and i guess they were just as embarrased by the whole situation - can't imagine they would be too happy about using that particular agent again - a very well known one as well.!!! i know i had serveral sleepless nights over it, at the beginning of our cruise, with my flying fears being raised all over again.

But without the fact that i has all the relevant emails showing time date etc of booking, it could have been a different outcome.

Sorry, but this just beggars belief :eek:

P*ss up and brewery springs to mind! Don't care what the excuses are, this should never be able to happen, I feel so sorry for you, and all the stress you had to deal with.

My original comment still stands, our cruise with P&O in November is purely as it's one of our best friends 'big' birthdays, and it's their choice.

Lou

sammydo glad you got your seats in the end, that's why some of us like to book in advance and should be able to be confident that once we've booked those seats we've got them - it's terrible what P&O are doing!

I did have my proof of payment and the emails, etc. but P&O staff were just not interested just kept saying nothing we can do now as we've resold the seats and staring blankly - no apologies, no nothing! I did say well I'll take my proof to the plane and grab those seats anyway, and she said it's up to you if you want to make a fuss on the plane - but I thought better not might get thrown off the plane ;) and thought the same as you, it's not their fault, they have bought those seats as well in good faith from P&O, and it certainly wasn't Thomas Cooks fault - it was all P&O doing!

Mine was all P&O cock up - they specifically re-sold our seats on board, after having our money for 3 months

It may be that P&O did sell your seats again to the others Travel Agent and then just blame the Travel Agent knowing them

Won't use P&O again

They still haven't had the courtesy to reply to my email, telephone call or Facebook message!

I am really sorry that this has happened - and to more than one of you. It leaves a nasty taste in the mouth, especially when no one will take responsibility or even say sorry!

I book seats where I can as I worry about where I will end up sittng on the plane, even if I have to pay extra. Your experience has taught me not to trust in the booking system in future and follow it up.

Something like this really puts a damper on your holiday and I hope that P&O makes ammends.

Thanks Cruisebore - yes I plan to put something on Facebook as well - hadn't even thought of what you said - on board the girl told me that she'd phoned on shore and they confirmed that they could definitely see the seats booked online still but she didn't have it on her system - seems very bizarre that it's not the same system mmmm (this was the day before the flight), but then when I phoned the lady at P&O head office said there was a 'technical' problem and my seats 'disappeared' 2 days before the flight - and they were just not interested that I said the girl on board confirmed they were still showing the day before the flight! This lady was just relaying a message as the 'senior officers' that as she said 'were totally aware of my case' (probably because of my compaints on board) but they would not speak to me - she was not allowed to put me through just kept saying I have to email reservations@pocruises and that is the only procedure available to get my

money back

They do seem to be blaming everything on 'technical' problems lately, the web problems the other month, the cruise personaliser problems, the flight booker problems, the forum problems, etc. etc.

PS. I thought about putting my seats on the envelope but it specifically states do not put any comments on or in this envelope - so they may well ignore that

If they know they have problems as she told me then they should either find the root cause of the problem and sort it - or just have an extra early flight session where you have to go if you booked online to confirm they've got your flight details ;)

We Always put our booked seat numbers on the envelope that goes back to the flight /seat organisers on board. e.g. Please note seats 6 a & B have been booked and fully paid for . Please ensure the boarding cards are issued with these numbers on.

It's worked so :) far

Good idea Roxally, if I had any idea that P&O did this practice and that I may not get the seats I'd paid for and got proof of with me, I would have done the same, or gone to see the Flight Department early in the Cruise, hence my warning to others - as maybe they can do this now

The envelope says 'DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING on this envelope' I wish I had ignored that now - hopefully others will do this now and get the seats they've paid for

Doesn't affect me now as I won't be using P&O again, but I still haven't had any contact or my money back, or any reply to phone calls, emails or Facebook messages from P&O :(

Good idea Roxally, if I had any idea that P&O did this practice and that I may not get the seats I'd paid for and got proof of with me, I would have done the same, or gone to see the Flight Department early in the Cruise, hence my warning to others - as maybe they can do this now

The envelope says 'DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING on this envelope' I wish I had ignored that now - hopefully others will do this now and get the seats they've paid for

Doesn't affect me now as I won't be using P&O again, but I still haven't had any contact or my money back, or any reply to phone calls, emails or Facebook messages from P&O :(

We had problems 2 years ago and I got so mad with nothing being done I sent a letter recorded delivery to Ms Carol Marlow, MD and this got things moving!! Another person is Paula Brown, Customer Relations Manager. Hope you get somewhere quickly, otherwise there is always the small claims court and they don't want to go down that route as costs them so much. Good Luck

I shall take my printout of the seats booked and paid for, put it inside the envelope AND write on the outside!

Yep you definitely should, even though they may ignore what you write on the envelope and put in it - think they only use the envelope to put your boarding passes in, so may not look inside

I had my print out too - so thought it would be fine, took that down, but they couldn't care less, just said oh well it's too late now and no we can't refund your money you have to do that ashore, they just stared blankly at me and refused to budge. And now I'm having trouble getting my money back from on shore, they just ignore all contact :(

PS> someone else posted a comment as a reply that they booked and paid for their return seats actually on board, and then a couple of days later when the boarding passes came out they still hadn't given them those seats they'd only just paid for - it's ridiculous!

So, if you've gt a nervous flyer in your party and want to be sure you get the seats you paid for, I suggest going to reception and asking to see the Flight Team in person before they print the boarding passes, once they print them they will not change them!

We had problems 2 years ago and I got so mad with nothing being done I sent a letter recorded delivery to Ms Carol Marlow, MD and this got things moving!! Another person is Paula Brown, Customer Relations Manager. Hope you get somewhere quickly, otherwise there is always the small claims court and they don't want to go down that route as costs them so much. Good Luck

Thanks CruisenSnooze, I was thinking about that - tried to find Carol Marlow's email the other day but no joy, how did you find the address to send her and Paula Brown's snail mail address, did you just use Head Office address?

I know it's piddly amounts and that just annoys me more, they have messed up, they should just refund the money, why all this hassle - in the hope that I won't bother and then they keep the money

Cheers

Nyree

Hi Nyree,

A little tip for you. I work for a large company in the UK, P & O will probably most likely have the same procedure as us for customer complaints therefore I recommend the following!

Send them a letter recorded delivery to their head office so you can prove they received it. Head it up as a Customer Complaint for the attention of their complaints department. They have to acknowledge that they have received it within 3 days. They then have to provide a solution within 30 days. Hopefully this will work!

Louise

Nyree.......just wondering, did you get your correct seats on the outgoing flight ??....or was it just coming back ??

Hi sammydo

We were on a transatlantic so sailed out and only flew back - Thomas Cook were fine (apart from my seat being the only one that the seat back tv didn;t work on - and no spare seats ;O) but Thomas Cook were helpful staff, it's P&O on board who print out the boarding passes for the return flights and they unfortunately ignore the seat bookings made and paid for online

It wouldn't surprise me if P&O had re-sold your flight seats to those other peoples travel agent and then blamed the agent ;)

Hi Nyree,

A little tip for you. I work for a large company in the UK, P & O will probably most likely have the same procedure as us for customer complaints therefore I recommend the following!

Send them a letter recorded delivery to their head office so you can prove they received it. Head it up as a Customer Complaint for the attention of their complaints department. They have to acknowledge that they have received it within 3 days. They then have to provide a solution within 30 days. Hopefully this will work!

Louise

Thanks Louise that's my next step this weekend :)

It's just annoying because it's not like a standard complaint as such, if it was just a complaint then maybe I could understand it may take a while to get a response, but this is money they've taken over 3 months ago, and have admitted it was a problem, so why can't they refund the money - it's silly!

If you booked several seats for a group and the amount is over £100 and you paid by credit card you can claim from the card issuer using section 75 of the consumer credit act. If you paid by debit card there is a similar system called "Charge back" but I don't know what the limits are.

Robin

Thanks CruisenSnooze, I was thinking about that - tried to find Carol Marlow's email the other day but no joy, how did you find the address to send her and Paula Brown's snail mail address, did you just use Head Office address?

I know it's piddly amounts and that just annoys me more, they have messed up, they should just refund the money, why all this hassle - in the hope that I won't bother and then they keep the money

Cheers

Nyree

Hi Nyree - just looking up my large file for P&O from our problems 2 years ago!!! - I sent all recorded mail to Carnival Hse, 100 Harbour Parade, Southampton SO15 1ST Sorry I did not get an email address, but we were so lucky as our TA helped us so much (our TA was the only one out of all the 46 cabins who had complaints, so all cruises are now booked through them. They are based in Southampton but cover the UK). P&O must respond to you within 28 days. It took us 7 letters to get sorted!! So factor that cost in and ask for On Board Credit to cover and it lasts for 2 years. Also remember if you go to small claims court, it will cost, but this fee also has to be paid by P&O, again another reason they don't want to go down this route and they have to send a representative to your local court. Did you also complain at the reception desk on board - as all complaints must be logged. My husband now discreetly videos on his camera anything we say at reception as proof!! Good luck and keep trying - they work on the premise 98% of people give up after a month.

Hi Nyree - just looking up my large file for P&O from our problems 2 years ago!!! - I sent all recorded mail to Carnival Hse, 100 Harbour Parade, Southampton SO15 1ST Sorry I did not get an email address, but we were so lucky as our TA helped us so much (our TA was the only one out of all the 46 cabins who had complaints, so all cruises are now booked through them. They are based in Southampton but cover the UK). P&O must respond to you within 28 days. It took us 7 letters to get sorted!! So factor that cost in and ask for On Board Credit to cover and it lasts for 2 years. Also remember if you go to small claims court, it will cost, but this fee also has to be paid by P&O, again another reason they don't want to go down this route and they have to send a representative to your local court. Did you also complain at the reception desk on board - as all complaints must be logged. My husband now discreetly videos on his camera anything we say at reception as proof!! Good luck and keep trying - they work on the premise 98% of people give up after a month.

Thanks Cruisensnooze :)

I tried to complain at reception on board - what a fiasco that was! I asked if there was a formal procedure to make a complaint, to be told 'No', I asked if there was a form, 'No', she said you just have to tell me and I'll enter it on the computer. OK start entering, 'Oh no, not on this computer, on the one in the back when I go back there (mmmm OK), so are you going to write it down? 'No, I'll remember'. OK what happens with the complaint, 'it goes to the person the complaint is about' ???er what? does it go to a manager? 'No', er. not sure you understand what a complaint is. Will I get confirmation of the complaint or what action is taken, 'No' - mmmm, OK how pointless was that

So, I can understand why you feel the need to film your discussions at reception and had I known, etc. ;) but I think it's terrible that you have to resort to that and even more reason to not use P&O again

I definitely think they work on the idea most give up and then don;t refund the money - nice money maker for them!!!

Archived