C728 Island Princess

osofish2

This cabin just opened up for our April sailing through the Panama Canal, and we grabbed it, moving from a forward mini(covered) to this one which is not covered, but has the aft view, and a covered outside area very close by. We've never had an aft cabin, so hope we'll be happy. Has anyone had any experience with this cabin? We'd like to hear your comments.

We've had this cabin a couple of times and really like the area! Besides being able to see port and aft from the balcony, you're just step's away from the stern deck.

The cabin is also close to the self service laundry, if you're so inclined :)!

I think you'll enjoy your cabin,

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This cabin just opened up for our April sailing through the Panama Canal, and we grabbed it, moving from a forward mini(covered) to this one which is not covered, but has the aft view, and a covered outside area very close by. We've never had an aft cabin, so hope we'll be happy. Has anyone had any experience with this cabin? We'd like to hear your comments.

I thought Caribe balconies were partially covered - is that not the case on the Island?

I thought Caribe balconies were partially covered - is that not the case on the Island?

Island and Coral have different configuration. Those two aft balconies on Caribe are uncovered. In fact, others on the same deck are partially covered and others are totally covered.

See schematic below which was originally provided by a generous CC member.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/id3.html

We had C727 on both the Island and the Coral (same cabin but opposite side) and loved them both. We could see around the corner to most of the aft. Both balconeys were completely uncovered and both trips to Alaska were just fine without being covered.

Island and Coral have different configuration. Those two aft balconies on Caribe are uncovered. In fact, others on the same deck are partially covered and others are totally covered.

See schematic below which was originally provided by a generous CC member.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/id3.html

Thank you - very helpful. This is a perfect location. Won't mind that the balcony isn't covered with the stern viewing area just a few steps away. I've grabbed C728 for the 1/31/14 PC sailing.

• 9 months later...
We have this cabin booked for Panama Canal 4/16/2014. Looking forward to sitting on the "private" stern balcony and reading on sea days.

gblcl, We're in this room for the 4/1/2014 PC cruise. It's the closest room we could get to being aft, which we love. Looking forward to this cruise!

gblcl, We're in this room for the 4/1/2014 PC cruise. It's the closest room we could get to being aft, which we love. Looking forward to this cruise!

I hope you enjoy the cabin. Most of the reviews I read are positive, however there are a couple posts on cruise critic that talk about the engine vibration and the door to the stern balcony banging loudly.

We have never stayed this far aft so it will be a new experience. Hoping to get plenty of reading time on the "secret" stern balcony.

94 days until sailaway! :D

We were in this cabin last April, and would not get it again. The vibrations were so great that they literally shook the light bulbs out. You do get used to it after a while. Also, the room was very warm, being at the end of the hall. We had the AC checked, but no improvement. The balcony view is very good, and right next to the aft balcony door. We didn't have a problem with hearing that door, but it was hard to open. The cabin itself was very quiet. Also, the laundry is not far away. There were not any lounge chairs outside the aft any more, but you can take your chairs out. There were never many people out there. Be prepared for very warm humid weather. We did a lot of our canal viewing from inside. This is a great cruise to take.

• 7 months later...
We have this cabin booked for Panama Canal 4/16/2014. Looking forward to sitting on the "private" stern balcony and reading on sea days.

Hello gbldcl,

We hope you enjoyed your cruise on the Island Princess.

We will be sailing her in December in the same cabin C728, and are concerned about it being so close to the door to the aft deck. Was there a lot of foot traffic and a lot of door slamming going on that you were aware of? Can you please give us your opinion?

Thank you very much,

Hendrika

Hello gbldcl,

Was there a lot of foot traffic and a lot of door slamming going on that you were aware of? Can you please give us your opinion?

Thank you very much,

Hendrika

Up until the day we actually transited the canal we rarely heard any noise. There were very few people using the aft area which was great. I enjoyed sitting back there and usually had loungers all to myself. The door is quite heavy and we heard it only a couple of times. On the day of the transit there was a steady stream of traffic up and down the hallway and the aft deck was packed, but it did not bother me because I was moving all over the ship taking pictures and not spending much time in the room. My only complaints about the room was the A/C was stuck blowing full blast the first two days and the room was freezing, but maintenance finally got that fixed on the third day. The other annoyance was the vibration from the engines. It was not bad the first two or three days when our speed was below 18 knots, but when they kicked it into high gear and the speed got up to around 20 knots the vibration was quite noticeable. We heard rattles then that we had not heard before.

I loved the view from the balcony being kind of a wraparound as it is, and I enjoyed how quiet it was at the end of the ship, until the vibration kicked up. Be aware that the balcony is not covered so there is no protection from the elements, or from the neighbors above if they are looking over their railing.

Our cabin steward, Ben, was the best we have ever had.

As with most cabin choices there are pros and cons and you have to decide what is important to you.

We had C727 on Island for 15 days and want to warn you that there is no privacy as your balcony can be seen from the rear public deck on Caribe and from above on Baja.We were literally shaken from the bed on numerous occasions but attributed that to the rough seas from Hawaii to California.