Cruising Feb 2014 - losing 100 pounds in the next 13 months!!

nyfarmgirl

Weight: 225.0

total loss: -16.5

I am so happy to hit the 225 mark (never thought that would make me smile) for a brief moment the scale hit 224.5 but alas the real # is 225. Yeah extra veggies & fruits via my smoothies!!!! The fruit one actually seemed like ice cream to me. My son tried it and although he thought it was delish - he said it fell short for ice cream. I, however, reminded him that if you aren't diving headfirst into sugary treats everyday that fruit seems alot sweeter.

I just did some calculations and in order to make my goal, I need to consistently lose at a rate of 2.5# per week. I can do this!! I am going to do this!!!

A special thank you to Anita, Pam, and Ashley who have been wonderfully supportive and encouraging through all of this.

Carla

I have been playing with this recipe for a couple of weeks now. My daughter who is a nurse that works night shift wanted a smoothie that she could drink on her way to work that had enough protein to sustain her as a meal substitute. She had this "Right Size" vanilla smoothie powder that you mix with milk. It was okay but didn't have enough protein to effectively replace a meal. It also wasn't very thick.

This one tastes just like a milkshake! Although it has 475 calories, it also has 32 grams of protein!! On a 1500 calorie meal plan, this works fine. If you want to easily lower the calories by 105, cut the peanut butter down to 1 tbsp or omit the smoothie powder.

1 frozen banana

1/2 cup skim milk

1/2 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt

2 tbsp creamy peanut butter

1 scoop vanilla right size smoothie powder

Blend in a blender until smooth and creamy. If you don't have frozen bananas you can use fresh and add some ice to chill and thicken it.

I peel and chop my bananas when they start to get too ripe. 1 banana fits perfectly into a snack size Zip lock bag, then I put all of the little bags into a gallon size freezer bag. This way I can just take out what I need for individual smoothies.

• 2 weeks later...
Weight: 225.0

total loss: -16.5

I am so happy to hit the 225 mark (never thought that would make me smile) for a brief moment the scale hit 224.5 but alas the real # is 225.

Congratulations Carla on your milestone achievement! *thumbs up!*

Do you like the fluidity bar?

Would you mind sharing how you make your fruit and veggie smoothies?

Anita

I make the fruit & veggie smoothies in my Ninja blender because I like knowing that I am getting ALL of the nutrients & fiber unlike when I used my juicer. They are a little thick but I like it. They are very filling.

These are my basics, I vary the veggie one with whatever fresh "juicy" add in that I have on hand. Because I make the veggie packs up in advance and freeze them, I don't need ice cubes but I have to add something fresh and juicy or some water to keep from winding up with "ice cream" consistency. Same thing with the fruit ones.

Veggie packs

1 cup spinach or kale

4 baby carrots

1/2 tomato or 6 grape tomatoes

1 celery stalk

lemon or lime

1/2 cucumber

Fruit pack

1 apple

1 banana

1/2 cup berries

For juicy add ins I have used a navel orange, grapefruit, fresh pineapple, watermelon, fruit juice or just water.

If I want to add protein, I will throw in a handful of flax or hemp seeds to the veggie one and greek yogurt, almonds or peanut butter in with the fruit.

Anita, I love the fluidity bar but it is harder than it looks. Of course, that is also due to the fact that I am genuinely uncoordinated and clumsy.

Carla

Thanks for sharing that info! When you showed us your smoothie mix bags, I didn't realize that you froze them. That's a great idea.

Just to say...because I've learned more about this concept as a Zumba instructor. Coordination is learned. It is not a natural talent to be coordinated. Anyone that feels uncoordinated is just using their body in a new way...and depending on previous experience/physical conditioning...you may have more or less of a struggle getting your body to do what you are wanting your body to do.

Point being...labeling yourself "uncoordinated" implies an unchangeable characteristic...but this is a falsehood. Time must pass and you must work at patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time...if you KWIM...but as you continue to apply yourself to the task...you will become better and better at it. Especially if you have the proper mind set...which is one that believes that you can improve and get better.

In this battle for health and fitness...and make no mistake...this is a battle...your thoughts are powerful tools. I just want to encourage you in your thinking.

I'll have to refresh my memory on the fluidity bar. I had to look it up when you mentioned it before...and what it is didn't stick.

Anita,

Coordination, can be learned behavior? WOW! That is the most encouraging news I have heard all week. Seriously, I had no clue. That is one of the biggest reasons I never had anything to do with sports. I feel like such a clutz and incompetent nut. Having a gym teacher who traumatized me by making me hold a bat while he hit it with a softball because I kept striking out, didn't exactly encourage me. My husband has always been one of the truly gifted who can pick up any new sport and actually excel at it, so that helped enforce the idea that you either have it or you don't. That is one of the reasons I have also stayed away from group classes, I feel very awkward and self conscious. Thank you, this little tidbit really gives me the inspiration to stick with it because it will get better and easier.

The fluidity bar is kind of a combination ballet bar, yoga and pilates workout. It looks so easy on TV but it is amazing how much of a sweat that you can work up and the effect that it has on the body.

Have a wonderful day!

Carla

This is my new personal favorite!! Blended 1 cup of pineapple juice with my frozen veggie bag that contained:

2 cups baby spinach & kale

6 baby carrots

parsley

1/2 cucumber

1/2 zucchini

1/2 apple

Talk about nutritious and low calorie!!! It yielded a huge 24oz glass of frozen yumminess that tasted like a pineapple milkshake. I know the veggies & vitamins are still in there (it is green after all) but it sure doesn't taste like it. I love this one!!!

1380043126_pineapplegreensmoothie.jpg.ba146257d698ac8729ff537d7adcb34e.jpg

Started Low Carb 4/4/2013

Starting weight 291 lbs :eek:

6/8/2013 249 :D:D

Impressively, awesome results!!! So happy for you.:)

I had a great moment yesterday, my DH has always referred to my backside as a "dumpling butt" meaning I don't have a cute round one like J Lo. Yesterday, he told me he thinks it is looking rounder. Yeah, fluidity bar!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

7/10/2013 241.2 lbs

Weight has been slow go for about three weeks, uuuhhh I hate plateaus :mad::mad::mad:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? What a MAJOR accomplishment. 50 pounds in three months is amazing.

Any diet one is on, will hit plateaus. You just have to think.."how long did it take to put ON the weight?". You cannot expect to take it off overnight. Hang in there. Do not get discouraged. Step up the exercise.

I did the same diet a couple of years ago and lost over 100lbs. and have KEPT it off. No bad carbs on my plate.....ever. KEEP UP THE FANTASTIC, FANTASTIC work.

As the old saying goes.."nothing tastes as good as skinny feels". :o

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? What a MAJOR accomplishment. 50 pounds in three months is amazing.

Any diet one is on, will hit plateaus. You just have to think.."how long did it take to put ON the weight?". You cannot expect to take it off overnight. Hang in there. Do not get discouraged. Step up the exercise.

I did the same diet a couple of years ago and lost over 100lbs. and have KEPT it off. No bad carbs on my plate.....ever. KEEP UP THE FANTASTIC, FANTASTIC work.

As the old saying goes.."nothing tastes as good as skinny feels". :o

AWWWWW thanks for the encouragement. Update:

7/16/2013 238.6 lbs

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure some of you thought that I had just given up or fallen off the planet but I had the opportunity to go with my DH on the road in June. While traveling is one of my favorite pastimes, doing it in a semi and under very tight timelines isn't. However, it was great to get to spend so much time with my sweetie:) We knew he was going to be changing companies soon and I wouldn't be able to ride along with the new one.

Although we both tried to take advantage of the fridge and microwave in his truck, it still wasn't possible to make good choices all of the time. Also, I know I drank way too much coffee and too little water. The bad news is I found 7 pounds during the time I was gone. The good news is that without the fridge and microwave, it would have been quite a bit higher.

Also on a very happy note, we are still going to be able to go on our cruise in February!!!! We were extremely concerned that the new company would not be cool with him taking 2 weeks off in Feb. I'm afraid that I spent half of the time on the road with him trying to convince myself that I wouldn't be horribly disappointed if we had to cancel the trip. Thankfully, that is no longer a concern. I can get back to my planning and my eating/exercise plan. My motivation is renewed and refreshed. February will be here before you know it!

Carla

• 2 weeks later...

Archived