kethican flightseeing without reservations

dsw39

We will be sailing into Ketchican twice on a b2b cruise late summer. I have read from posters of arranging flightseeing tours after arriving in port. As weather is a consideration, I am leaning toward this approach.

A 2hr flight with one lake landing costs between $200-$270/pp has anyone been able to secure a tour at a reduced price? I also read that you can buy the coupon book for $99 and receive a 2for1 discount on a flightseeing tour. I believe the tour is $269/pp which represents a good savings. The book soesn't seem to have any other advantage for me.

Dave

The flightseeing with the coupon book definitely needs to be reserved in advance. But that is one of the few discounts you will find. For 2-for-1 I can live with "sub par" weather. The flights will often fly even though cloudy, drizzly, etc. It is called MISTY Fjords after all.

If you book once you arrive in Ketchikan, you get the "leftovers." If that is OK with you, then wait. But just have alternate plans as well in case you can't find a company with availability.

We went on a floatplane trip to Misty Fjord with Michelle of Island Wings. The day was cloudy, but Michelle said that cloudy was good. If it was too sunny, she found that some people got sick on the flight. Our trip was fantastic with a stop at one of the lakes. The scenery was absolutely fantastic!

Last minute walk-up bookings are almost impossible to get although you can try on your first visit to Ketchikan and then if that fails try to reserve for the 2nd arrival there.

Most people book far in advance.

I have never seen or heard of the pilots offering last minute discounts. Demand is too great on clear days with some folks offering more to fly.

If the weather is too awful to fly, you will get a refund.

There are so many 'what if's' on these questions, it's hard to give a definitive answer.

1. While I agree with PennyAgain, I also somewhat disagree. Walk-ups CAN be very difficult for several reasons - a gorgeous day brings out folks who want to go flightseeing, a busy Cruise Ship day when there are 4 Cruise Ships and 10,000 people in town, or just simply, a day when there are so many bookings made in advance. (You can check the days here...) On these days it may be nearly impossible to find a walk-up flightseeing tour.

But there are other days when for no particular reason, the pre-bookings are down and the flightseeing companies are almost begging for fliers! And you are very likely to get a seat or two.

2. I do, wholeheartedly agree with PennyAgain on the fact that deep discounts are unheard of. The prices discussed are typically the lowest prices available.

3. The 2-for-1 is absolutely only available for pre-bookings, and they may sell out of the spots available for the day you're looking so if you're going that way, absolutely reserve it asap.

4. Remember, just because it may be rainy in Ketchikan does not mean it will be a crappy day at the Misty's. Ketchikan has it's own micro-climate that brings us lots of rain. The floatplanes are able to fly low enough that they can fly below the clouds so you can see the beauty of the Misty Fjords. As mknopick said, sometimes a gorgeous sunshiny day is actually a problem as there is the glare off of the water. I have been several times and agree that an overcast day is better.

5. A note on getting the 'left-overs' as frugaltravel mentioned. There are two problems in my mind about traveling in this circumstance:

- Flights are grounded because of a low cloud ceiling but it is clearly believed that later in the day will burn off and be a good flying day. Those folks who have pre-booked have #1 priority and those who have booked on the dock are, quite literally, at the bottom of the list. So once flights start it may mean that the flights just never get to your name on the list and you are unable to go out.

- Second is if you are a single person (or even two!) - most of the flights have a minimum of 4 passengers before they will allow the flight to go out. So even if you are able to find an opening, they may not have another 2 passengers to go along with you. They will more than likely cancel the flight since they can't come up with the other 2 passengers. Make sense?!

Long story short - my recommendation is with the others - Advanced reservations are the best way to go. The Misty Fjords are absolutely magical, rain or shine.

Here is a list of the Flightseeing companies in Ketchikan.

:-)

There are so many 'what if's' on these questions, it's hard to give a definitive answer.

1. While I agree with PennyAgain, I also somewhat disagree. Walk-ups CAN be very difficult for several reasons - a gorgeous day brings out folks who want to go flightseeing, a busy Cruise Ship day when there are 4 Cruise Ships and 10,000 people in town, or just simply, a day when there are so many bookings made in advance. (You can check the days here...) On these days it may be nearly impossible to find a walk-up flightseeing tour.

But there are other days when for no particular reason, the pre-bookings are down and the flightseeing companies are almost begging for fliers! And you are very likely to get a seat or two.

2. I do, wholeheartedly agree with PennyAgain on the fact that deep discounts are unheard of. The prices discussed are typically the lowest prices available.

3. The 2-for-1 is absolutely only available for pre-bookings, and they may sell out of the spots available for the day you're looking so if you're going that way, absolutely reserve it asap.

4. Remember, just because it may be rainy in Ketchikan does not mean it will be a crappy day at the Misty's. Ketchikan has it's own micro-climate that brings us lots of rain. The floatplanes are able to fly low enough that they can fly below the clouds so you can see the beauty of the Misty Fjords. As mknopick said, sometimes a gorgeous sunshiny day is actually a problem as there is the glare off of the water. I have been several times and agree that an overcast day is better.

5. A note on getting the 'left-overs' as frugaltravel mentioned. There are two problems in my mind about traveling in this circumstance:

- Flights are grounded because of a low cloud ceiling but it is clearly believed that later in the day will burn off and be a good flying day. Those folks who have pre-booked have #1 priority and those who have booked on the dock are, quite literally, at the bottom of the list. So once flights start it may mean that the flights just never get to your name on the list and you are unable to go out.

- Second is if you are a single person (or even two!) - most of the flights have a minimum of 4 passengers before they will allow the flight to go out. So even if you are able to find an opening, they may not have another 2 passengers to go along with you. They will more than likely cancel the flight since they can't come up with the other 2 passengers. Make sense?!

Long story short - my recommendation is with the others - Advanced reservations are the best way to go. The Misty Fjords are absolutely magical, rain or shine.

Here is a list of the Flightseeing companies in Ketchikan.

:-)

Thanks for the comprehensive detail for flightseeing in Ketchican. I had done some homework and information requests. When reviewing opinions of past cruisers, I wondered whether it was worth waiting until we arrive and insuring a good flight day. You made me review my thinking and will book with the early booking discounts. I don't like paying in advance as it can be difficult to secure a refund if there is a legitimate problem.

Dave

Thanks for the comprehensive detail for flightseeing in Ketchican. I had done some homework and information requests. When reviewing opinions of past cruisers, I wondered whether it was worth waiting until we arrive and insuring a good flight day. You made me review my thinking and will book with the early booking discounts. I don't like paying in advance as it can be difficult to secure a refund if there is a legitimate problem.

Dave

You might be VERY surprised at what constitutes a good flight day in Ketchikan. One of my best Misty Fjords flights was on a day when I wasn't even sure we'd go at all because of the weather. The weather can be very different in the mountains, and the flightseeing pilots keep in touch with each other so they know (or at least have a much better idea) if they're going to bust through into good weather.

Archived