QE 2013 "World" Exotic discoveries blog

cruiser1955

Queen Elizabeth 2013 Exotic Discoveries

First Leg: Southampton to Fort Lauderdale (6th January – 20th January)

A good trip down to Southampton (thanks Steve) where embarkation went very smoothly. Arrival at terminal to reaching cabin was less than 30 minutes.

The usual bottle of Pol Acker was in the cabin and was consumed as QE departed Southampton to a firework display.

Dinner was on deck 3 and at the stern of the Britannia restaurant so great views. A table of 6 rather than the requested table of eight and only four others which became three after the second night. We seem to be getting on well with each other.

The daily schedule is very full compared to the typical 14 night voyages. A new set of Cunard singers and dancers were taken on at Southampton and this does seem to be having an impact on some of the facilities on board – for example a film isn’t shown every day. The Commodore Club does seem to have been very busy during the day.

The first two days were spent at sea cruising through the Bay of Biscay which wasn’t too rough and certainly much smoother than the passage in November on Arcadia. On the second day at sea there was a welcome party for those of us on the 91 nights – just 195.

Tried yet again to learn bridge, so have joined the beginners group for lessons. Seems that quite a few others have had the same idea as we know a bit about the game but need some help.

We arrived in Madeira on time and had an enjoyable “Elegant Madeira” excursion. This ended up at a golf club with superb views over the island, plenty of champagne and snacks.

The welcome on board party did not take place until the fifth night. The first three nights everything was served to prevent the spread of any potential norovirus. So, no salt and pepper on the tables in the MDR but individual packets were given by the waiters. Canapés are now available in the Commodore Club, so the Martinis taste even better!

No art classes have been available. Different reasons are given depending on who you speak to.

The food seems to be to a better standard with the beef being very good. Pub lunches in the Golden Lion are up to standard and well attended.

Due to the new show group being on board there have so far only been two “Broadway style” shows. Other entertainers have been variable with the comedian being good for the Brits but not for some other nationalities. However, there are almost 1700 Brits on board, 100 Germans, 80 USA and a further 15 or so nationalities. I think around 1,500 PAX depart at Fort Lauderdale.

Atmosphere on board is very friendly and many have commented on this.

Breakfast and lunch in the MDR is sit anywhere and unlike previous voyages, you are not taken to a table but left to find your own. This didn’t seem to work that well in the first week.

Service at dinner in the MDR can seem slow at times but this is down to the waiters rotating the time they serve each table, so sometimes the meal is finished by 22:00 and sometimes it is a rush to get to the show in time Weather has been a bit rough at times but now we are in the Caribbean things have improved. Still, that is only to be expected with crossing the Atlantic at this time of year.

A lazy day spent in Antigua revisiting some old cafes, restaurants and bars. Had my first cocnut with added rum. Lunch was some very nice coconut shrimps near the port.

On to Tortola and there have been some changes in the last 12 months. Gone is the flea market near the pier and this has been replaced with huts in the centre of town. I think that this has taken some of the charm away from Tortola as it now looks similar to many other islands. Fortunately, Pussers Bar is still the same and serves some good quality food along with their “Painkiller” punch.

After a further day at sea, it was on to Half Moon Cay on the Island of Little San Salvador – a privately owned island which used to belong to Holland America Line, but is now part of the Carnival group. Here I did the stingray experience which was much better than the one I did on Antigua a few years ago. The guide was very good and we were with the rays for just under an hour.

Next it was on to Nassau. The island tour was a waste of time and we were dropped off at a beach for 90 minutes. Spent some time wandering around the main shops in Nassau but many were the usual Diamond International, Columbia Emeralds, etc. Still, able to stock up on a few bottles of drink for the cabin.

The first leg ends in Fort Lauderdale, so for those of us on an excursion, we get priority disembarkation to allow us to clear US immigration and go on tours.

A coach trip around Fort Lauderdale followed by a trip along the canals to see the homes of the rich. Return to the port and disaster strikes. US immigration and customs clearance is running very slow so spend over three hours in the arrival hall waiting to board.

The second leg: Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles

The captain put the delays in boarding down to very slow service from the US boarder authorities. New crew were not allowed to board until all crew had been checked. I’m sure that some US passengers will make their comments to the delay known as some passengers were waiting 5 hours to board. Some transit passengers did not leave the ship until 14:00 and all afternoon excursions were cancelled. It was explained that the delays were totally beyond the control of Cunard. We were the seventh ship to depart FL on Sunday and the blocks of apartments gave us quite a send-off along with many sounds of the QE whistle!.

Now that the weather has improved, the inside spaces are much less crowded than during the first two weeks.

Since FL several people have complained about sore throats. The air con did seem different after FL. I did notice the sanitation squad visiting a cabin a few doors down from me this morning so there may be one or two cases of Norovirus – I have noticed that quite a few passengers are not following the guidelines for washing hands, using gel on entrance to eating spaces, etc.

So far the dress code has not been adhered to as well as on the first leg.

Falmouth, Jamaica. World War three almost broke out this morning as a number of passengers refused to join a queue to board the bus. This is a new cruise facility which has been built for the Allure/Oasis of the Seas ships – they hold around 6,000 passengers. Despite the troublesome passengers, a good excursion to Noel Cowards Firefly. A nice house, but small, with great views over the Caribbean. He left the property to the people of Jamaica. Then on to the botanical gardens and a good lunch with Jamaican specialties.

A few days at sea before arriving at Bonaire where we came very close to leaving two passengers as they were very late back to the ship. Another lazy day ashore and lunch at a local restaurant.

The following morning we arrived at Aruba and we were warned that it would be a long walk to our next port if the 16:30 departure was missed! Not much chance of that happening as it was a public holiday and many shops were closed. A very hot day so returned to the ship after a quick walk around the town.

I will have to be on my best behaviour as I’ve received an invite to the captain’s table for dinner tomorrow.

Passenger count now puts US in the lead with 980, UK 450, Canada 220, Germany 100, Japan 55 and a further 19 other nationalities. Guess when the ship leaves LA US will be in excess of 1,000. It looks like a few passengers have left the ship early as we are now down to just 190 doing the whole cruise.

To be continued which will pick up with the transit of the Panama Canal.

Jon,

I'm enjoying reading about your experiences. Keep the reports coming. I watched part of your transit through the Panama Canal on the ship's webcam (unfortunately the Panama Canal webcams were not working that day).

Hope you are still thinking about joining us for part of the QE's 2014 World Voyage.

Kathi

Jon,

I thoroughly enjoyed your blog and have a few minor questions to ask. The LA-NYC will be my first voyage with Cunard and I was wondering what toiletries were provided in the cabins. Also, is the refrigerator a mini bar or may guests supply their own beverages? Are there sufficient electrical outlets or will I need a power strip?

Thank you in advance for answering my mundane questions.

Dawn

Jon,

I thoroughly enjoyed your blog and have a few minor questions to ask. The LA-NYC will be my first voyage with Cunard and I was wondering what toiletries were provided in the cabins. Also, is the refrigerator a mini bar or may guests supply their own beverages? Are there sufficient electrical outlets or will I need a power strip?

Thank you in advance for answering my mundane questions.

Dawn

Hi Dawn

Toiletries are Gilchrist & Soames

There is a mix of UK, US and European sockets so I'd suggest a power strip if you intend to use a few appliances

Fridge contains a few sodas @$2.75 + 15% service. You can bring on spirits, beer, wine etc and relenish at each port of call:)

……….. Now continuing at the Panama Canal.

Entrance to the holding area at Gatun was at 06:00. We entered the first lock at 07:25 and cleared the final Gatun lock at 08:55. There was no queue to join so QE set off across the Gatun Lake and arrived at the Galliard Cut around 12:00. So hot on deck that I booked the Verandah restaurant for lunch, so stayed there until we arrived at the Miraflores locks around 14:15. A slow passage through these locks but the viewing platforms were crowded with locals watching the ships through the locks. As QE passed through there were a couple of n15:45. Finally saw the last of Panama City just after 16:00. The transit was around an hour and a half quicker than expected. For those who may do the canal in the future, the port side of the ship allows you to see passing ships in the Gatun Lake.

Monday 28th. As Captain Wells put it in his mid-day announcement, we are now pootling along at a gentle 12 knots, using minimum engines and saving fuel! Pirate night tonight with an additional International Buffet in the Lido.

Tuesday 29th.Weather forecast in the daily programme normally says “Sunny”, “Cloudy”, etc. Today it says “Hot, Damn hot!” Yes, it was hot. Turns out the editor was having some fun with the draft version and forgot to remove the “damn hot”. I went to a coffee plantation in the Costa Rica mountains, so most of the day the temperature was more comfortable than at the port of Puntarenas.

A few days at sea before arriving at Manzanillo in Mexico. Several ports in Mexico seem to have been dropped due to there being safety issues. Manzanillo is a very busy port and seems to be safe in the centre of town. I did an “overview” excursion but didn’t find it that interesting.

4th February. An early arrival at Los Angeles and unlike Fort Lauderdale, immigration was very smooth with boarder staff checking passports on board. A good trip to Hollywood and LA highlights. Did all the usual tourist sights, the Hollywood sign, Chinese Theatre, Kodak/Dolby Theatre (home of the Oscars). A stop at the Farmers Market for 90 minutes allowing plenty of time for lunch. Then off to Universal Studios for a walk along City Walk. Stopped at a supermarket on the way back to the ship to stock up on booze – one of the advantages of Cunard and P&O in that you can take alcohol on board. Overall, the excursion covered 95 miles.

Now it is four days at sea as we set off for Honolulu.

9th February. Arrived in Honolulu and moored at the Aloha Towers. A tour of the island and just over 3 hours at Pearl Harbour. The stop at Pearl Harbour was well timed. Arrived with a “timed” ticket so went straight to the theatre to see a film about the attack before taking the launch to the Arizona memorial where you are allowed 15 minutes to look around. Returned to visit the other museums and walk of remembrance. None of the expected queues, so a very pleasant day.

Now it is a further 4 days at sea before arrival at Pago Pago in American Samoa on the 14th.

• 1 month later...

Archived