Passover on the Westerdam ?

Prinsendam -- Passover 2011 -- the sedar was held in the lido. We had to book in advance, we filled the room and they added extra tables so there would be space for everyone who wished to attend. The Captain and his wife came. HAL provided an appropropriate sedar meal including matzah ball soup and gefilte fish. The sedar was led by Rabbi Starr. We all used beautiful haggadahs provided by HAL and each table had its own sedar plate.

It was one of the most wonderful sedars I have ever attended and not just because I wasn't the one preparing the meal. The Rabbi provided a wonderful service and the fact that we were landing in Egypt the following morning and would be in Isreal in a few days -- well that was just part of the magic!

I think the Passover experience may vary from ship to ship.

I was on the Veendam for Passover in April 2012. We were supposed to have a Rabbi on board, but he wasn't able to come on the cruise. We didn't know this until it was time for the Seder. Luckily there were a few men on board who knew how to conduct the Seder and did it with no prior notice. The men did a super job of it, and it was quite lovely.

Our Seder was held in a roped off area of the lido, in the aft location. The notice of the Seder was in the daily schedule, which advised anyone who wanted to attend to let the front office know in advance. Anyone on board was welcome to attend.

On our ship the Seder was a little disorganized - the waiters didn't realize that we all needed a wine glass before we started. We needed the wine glasses so that we could have the wine as needed for the four glasses of wine that are part of the Seder. The wine was provided by the Veendam as part of the dinner. It took the waiters awhile to find enough glasses for everyone. Perhaps the glasses had to be transported from the main dining room to the lido. As we started the Seder about an hour later than the time advertised, by the time we got to the dinner part, the chicken was quite dry.

The Seder itself was conducted well. However, the food served was not very good. It was actually one of the worst meals I had on board. I was a little disappointed, being somewhat of a "foodie," as my usual Passover dinner at my cousin's home is quite delicious. I also felt badly for those who attended on board, who do not usually attend a Passover Seder dinner, as they still have no idea what a wonderful meal it can be.

I think the Passover experience may vary from ship to ship.

I was on the Veendam for Passover in April 2012. We were supposed to have a Rabbi on board' date=' but he wasn't able to come on the cruise. We didn't know this until it was time for the Seder.

Our Seder was held in a roped off area of the lido, in the aft location.

On our ship the Seder was a little disorganized - the waiters didn't realize that we all needed a wine glass before we started.

The Seder itself was conducted well. However, the food served was not very good. It was actually one of the worst meals I had on board. I was a little disappointed, being somewhat of a "foodie," as my usual Passover dinner at my cousin's home is quite delicious. I also felt badly for those who attended on board, who do not usually attend a Passover Seder dinner, as they still have no idea what a wonderful meal it can be.[/quote']

I was there. I found it very disappointing, disorganized, poor food, and not a nice venue. If I recall they brought challah bread and someone had to tell them to take it back.

I only heard the rabbi did not join in Santiago, but no other information. So the passengers had to conduct and organize themselves. It was the worse meal I recall the entire cruise.

I was just on Celebrity Silhouette in December over Hanukkah and did not know they would be having a candle lighting service for 8 nights since I had never been to a service for this holiday. It was really lovely plus festive with singing with the rabbi and his wife, and 100-140 people each evening with food and wine. This rabbi also cruises on HAL where he has conducted services. It's a small community and he knew about the rabbi not showing up on Veendam, and even mentioned the challah bread brought for passover.

How is it don on the ship ???

Hi we're sailing away....

I found a Holland America blog post http://www.hollandamericablog.com/category/food-beverage/page/13/ for Passover on the Statendam last year. Scroll down to April 9, 2012. They don't mention a Rabbi.

I haven't been on a cruise over a holiday before, but I'm going to be on the one you are considering. :D

Utahtea

I have a friend who's the cantor in St. Thomas and she often cruises during Chanukah and Passover on other lines. She conducts a beautiful service with many people attending. So far, she's not been on HAL. She was on Azamara when they had their fire last year.

My parents got started on cruising some 30+ years ago when my dad retired from Hillel and started getting gigs as an onboard chaplain. They were given whatever cabin was still available (usually not too nice), and he never went over Passover since he kept kosher. That lasted for about five years. Then they kept cruising the rest of his life and my mom continued by herself.

I was just on Celebrity Silhouette in December over Hanukkah and did not know they would be having a candle lighting service for 8 nights since I had never been to a service for this holiday. It was really lovely plus festive with singing with the rabbi and his wife, and 100-140 people each evening with food and wine.

When I was on the Prinsendam in December 2009, we had a retired Rabbi and his wife onboard. He, too, conducted a wonderful service each night for Hanukkah. The ship supplied food and wine, and the Rabbi had brought a recorded tape of cantorial singing that he played during the service. As it was a small ship, we only had 20-30 people attending. We would all stay to talk after the service, and, of course, eat, and the 8 night celebration really enhanced my onboard experience.

I would never have cruised during Passover without a Seder. In 2010, we were on the Rotterdam for a 32 (33?) day Hawaiian / Polynesian cruise. Not only did we have a Rabbi, but we had a Jewish DJ (who went to the same Middle School as our children) and a Jewish singer from Hal's staff. The entertainer, Alan, made Charoset with the Rabbi's wife! He also, along with the DJ, helped to lead the Seder because the Rabbi had laryngitis. I was very happy with the entire experience, except that my husband knew that the Jewish comedian was on the other side of the Lido, eating "regular food" and would have preferred to be eating with him! Passover has always been my favorite holiday, but I have always had to buy copious amounts of dark chocolate to take my husband's mind away from his lack of bread.;)

• 5 months later...

Of course every cruise will vary, but our most memorable Seder was aboard the Veendam several years ago as it coincided with a Formal Night and was our first Black Tie Passover celebration! HAL made every effort to work on the meal with the Cantor who led the service. She had written her own Haggadah and played the guitar, providing copies and songbooks for everyone. There were over 70 in attendance including the Jewish Social Director and piano player. The funniest thing was that, in an effort to please everyone, the Head Chef went around and asked who would like to have lobster tail the next night since they were missing it on Formal Night... and with the promised lobster, the waitstaff made sure to serve matzoh!:rolleyes: Seriously, it was a beautiful experience and why we've booked a long cruise at end of March that will include Passover.:)

Archived