Juneau Salmon Fishing in Early September

ROXIETHEHORSE

Has anyone done the half day salmon fishing in Juneau in early September (we will be there September 2nd) and actually caught a fish?

We would REALLY like to catch a fish. My husband has done extensive offshore fishing in the Gulf of Mexico (from Houston).

We are on the Star Princess. We are considering the Princess excursion for this. It is $199 each. I have not looked in to any private charters, but I'm thinking they might be way more $$$.

Thanks for your help!

As I like to say, mother nature is never predictable, so like mutual fund returns, past performance does not guarantee future results.

That being said, traditionally for me, the first week or 10 days of September is usually a fine time for fishing Coho/Silver salmon. If I did not have commitments with children and school and such, I'd be in Juneau fishing the last week of August to the first week of September every year.

So in short, I would predict that September 2nd would be a fine time to fish for Cohos in Juneau. I do not fish halibut very often in September as the Silvers are running during this time, but from my recollection, September is not a terrible time for halibut in Juneau. King salmon will be a bit tough to catch around this time, but they are around (I wouldn't count on catching one, especially only fishing for 4 hours). Most likely all other species of salmon will be gone from open water by then.

I can not speak intelligently as to your chances with a 4 hour excursion or a certain charter company. I have access to my own boat and I'll fish until I catch how much I need or until I get cold and tired :)

Just be prepared to catch nothing and if you catch 3 or 4 silvers, it'll be a bonus. Some days you can't put your line down without a salmon biting on it and the next day a fish won't bite at all.

Good luck!

We did a private charter with Rum Runner Charters and had a wonderful time. It was a little more expensive than the ship excursion, but it was just my husband and I, Capt. Chris, his deckhand, and the co-captain Moon. We had heard some ship fishing excursions, you share rods. If there are 8 on board, and they only run 4 rods, you take turns. This didn't fly with my husband. It was a once in a lifetime trip, and worth every extra penny. Capt. Chris provided transportation from the ship dock to his boat slip, and he picked up sandwiches for us for lunch, which we really appreciated.

I can't speak to fishing in September as we went the first week of July. My husband tells me there will be another trip to Alaska, which will include fly in fly fishing. :eek: All I can think about there is mosquitoes!!

I hope whatever you decide you have a great time!

Archived