Port info from my recent Coral Princess Panama trip

twocats

Monday May 2, 2005

A.M. Panama Canal Transit

Canal transit started early, we watched a bit from the balcony then decided to try to get up front. We headed to front decks to no avail, all top decks were loaded 5 people deep. Finally I went to the bow on our deck, the Caribe and located a spot. It was enjoyable and definitely not discover by the masses. Just keep going on either side of the ship through the double doors and there you are. We went through the first locks watching from that deck and then came back to our balcony. Somewhere in the a.m. we went and had breakfast. We watched most of the day from our balcony. We called for lunch, sandwiches, and stayed there until later when we went to the front for the trip under the Bridge of the America’s. Beautiful site. The whole day was terrific. We felt the port side was the best for viewing heading from the east to west. We had the town of Gamboa on our side and most of the ships and freighters passed on our side. Lots of town people in Gamboa shouting and waving as we passed through, also the Norwegian Spirit followed us through, very exciting when they cruised up next to us in the locks. The visitor center was filled with people from Panama City and they gave the USA quite a big hello and a nice welcome. Weather was ok during the day; early in the day it was sunny but as the day progressed it got cloudy and misty. At one point we had thunder and lightening but still very warm. By the time we had reached the Centennial Bridge it was raining and then again as we went under the Bridge of the America’s. Did it bother anyone, not much. Our balcony was half covered and half uncovered so we were fine.

P.M. Puerto Amador

Very disappointing, we arrived late after a long day through the canal. We were advised to go to the Explorers Lounge to wait for tender tickets. We went early and waited at the entrance to the bar. When the girls arrived they went to the stage and proceed to make announcement regarding the lateness of the hour and discussed Princess Tours going first on the tenders. Finally they passed out tickets, where lots of people jumped ahead of us. The final result was after sitting another long length of time they played a trivia game to keep us busy. Then they started making announcements that it would be a 20-minute ride over and 20-min back. More discouragement to the hundreds of people waiting until most of us gave up. It was dark by then and most of us hadn’t had dinner yet either. And we were up early to begin the transit though the canal. The were only using 3 tenders and the wait would have been pretty long. Oh well, I really just wanted to plant my feet on Panama soil. Our tablemates went on the Princess tour and I can only repeat what they said, only good if you really like museums, also were uncomfortable going through the very poor part of town. They were uncomfortable because cruisers had so much and those people were so very poor.

Other than Puerto Amador, as full transit we were not offered any other stops along the route, partial transit does.

• 10 months later...

Thank you so much for this excellent review. We are going on 27/4/06 and as it is my dads 70th on the day we transit the canal, your information has helped us plan his day to make it the most enjoyable for him.

Thanks again

Archived