Eielson Shuttle tour, time question

TravelRookie

Hey again,

I am looking to book the shuttle bus to Eielson Visitor Center for June 4.

I did a forum search and it seems people have their own personal experince/opinions on when is the best time to go (early morning vs late afternoon or early evening).

It looks like the earliest available shuttle on June 4 is at 7:00am, but sunrise is at 4:00am. Is there too much sunshine by that time that 7:00am wouldn't be considered "early morning" anymore and getting up that early wouldn't be worth it and might as well look at the 8:00am or 9:00am shuttle departure? I know it's a gamble either way, I'm just wondering if 7:00am is still considered as "early morning" when the sun has already been up for 3 hours?

Thoughts? Thanks!

I've only taken the shuttle a few times but I've never noticed a difference in wildlife sightings whether I left at 8am, 9am or 10am and one trip to Toklat around 1pm. I've had great luck with sightings ... no wolf yet.

In early June things will be greening up so I would think the animals will be very busy eating, trying to make up for the long lean winter.

I'd go with whatever time you're comfortable with. No point in getting up at 5am to be tired and miserable all day, or falling asleep on the bus. Actually many people DO fall asleep on the return trip, only waking up when people call a sighting to the driver. "Caribou at 2 o'clock."

If you are excited and eager to get out and doing in Denali NP, I would book the earliest shuttle departure.

That said, I've been out in about in Denali NP at all hours and the animals may rest from time to time but they do not leave.

Yes, I've seen folks sleeping on the buses. Their choice, but I save my sleeping for elsewhere.

If you are excited and eager to get out and doing in Denali NP, I would book the earliest shuttle departure.

That said, I've been out in about in Denali NP at all hours and the animals may rest from time to time but they do not leave.

Yes, I've seen folks sleeping on the buses. Their choice, but I save my sleeping for elsewhere.

Yeah I'm reading up about the trail options, or best places to get off the buses and walk around and figure, to maximize our time in Denali, taking the earlier shuttle might be the best bet. Unless we get there and it's pouring rain. Rain or rain showers are one thing, but I don't know how ambitious we'd be to get off the bus and walk around if it's pouring. But then again, why waste such a great opportunity to explore. I mean, this might be our only time up in Alaska!

Archived