Rome disembarkation

nikel

This is my first disembarkation in Rome as I usually do a TA.

Am I correct in assuming that you just get off the ship and go to whatever your transportation is and there is no customs or anything else to hold you up? Thanks

• 5 months later...

Am I correct in assuming that you just get off the ship and go to whatever your transportation is and there is no customs or anything else to hold you up? Thanks

Our friends are booking this cruise tomorrow and also staying at the Parlamento Hotel in Rome. Do you have room in your transfer from the port to the hotel for two more people? I have already booked a transfer with six other people. Thanks Cindy

My friends are booking this cruise tomorrow. They are also staying at the Parlamento Hotel with us. Do you have room for two more people in your transfer from the port to the hotel? I have already booked my transfer with six other people. Thanks. Cindy

Disembarkation was very quick- I requested 7:45 am-- Found our luggage quickly, no hastle-- met our pre booked RomeCab right out front- and that was that! Arrived at airport at 8:50---yes there were lines and shuttle bus from terminal 5 to terminal 3 (where direct flights to US left-- annoying but went fairly quickly---

We just got off the Silhouette in Rome last week...

Literally just walked off the ship, got our luggage and left...

It took no time at all...no lines, no controls...just leave...

If you've arranged for transportation, they could be there to pick you up at the port.

We had reserved a rental car from Hertz, so we took the Free Shuttle Bus which takes you out of the port area to a bus stop on Via Giuseppe Garibaldi...A couple of blocks walk from Hertz...

At this bus stop, there were about 25-30 people hovering around with signs offering varuious sorts of rides into Rome...

So when do you deal with customs? Is there a problem when you reach the airport and try to take an international flight? I have done a ta before but it was coming back to the states from Barcelona not the other way around.

"Customs", in whatever country, generally deals with people FIRST ARRIVING in that country...They are trying to ascertain that your passport/visa/papers are in order, that you are nt smuggling in contraband goods or violaing health orders, etc....

So, you don't go through customs when merely going from one place to another WITHIN the same country...Now that Europe is somewhat united under the EU, they've also done away with a lot of the border crossing stuff going from one EU nation to another...

So, when our ship landed in Rome, it was coming from Salerno--also in Italy--as was Catania before that...We were, basically, already IN the Country...and had previously been in Malta and Greece before that--both EU countries as well...hence, no Customs upon our arrival in Rome.

We DID go through US Customs when we changed planes in Chicago returning from the cruise...just as on a prior cruise when we went through US Customs in Vancouver, BC (believe it or not, the US has an agreement with Canada since 1952).

But those are for our entry back into the US--having been OUT of the country...Likewise, when cruising INTO a US port at the end of a cruise, you generally go through Customs when you leave the cruise since you are likely coming FROM a foreign country prior...

We departed ahead of schedule, found luggage with no problem, caught the shuttle bus to town and after a nice walk to the train station, were on our way to Rome in about 30 minutes.

Archived