One more question re: alcohol

ILoveScotland

Just when I think I have everything figured out I come up with a new question. It's more or less been answered, but before I decide to take wine and/or gin onboard in my luggage, a question about where I can consume my wine and/or gin.

I know I will be fine in my cabin, but do people ever put their alcohol in a cup or something else and drink it in public spaces? With everything so expensive in Norway I'm going to buy small bottles of wine and gin and tonic here and pack it in my checked luggage. I'm not a big drinker, but a glass or wine or a gin and tonic at night would be nice. I may just give in and buy it onboard and not be so cheap, but I thought I'd ask.

Beth

Hi Beth,

There have certainly been many comments on this Board & elsewhere where people have said they have "successfully" done what you suggest, both in ship's coffee mugs & glasses from the bar. As for myself I couldn't possibly comment :)!

You can buy duty free on arrival in Norway (at the first airport you arrive at - if you transit in eg Oslo you have to buy it there as your onward flight to Bergen/Kirkenes is designated as a domestic flight.) The prices are quite reasonable & you can buy from 0.5 litre of gin or bottle or 0.375 litre of wine in screw top bottle. You can check at http://www.heinemann-dutyfree.com/bergen_en

This will save you weight in your checked baggage - your choice.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Hi Beth,

There have certainly been many comments on this Board & elsewhere where people have said they have "successfully" done what you suggest, both in ship's coffee mugs & glasses from the bar. As for myself I couldn't possibly comment :)!

You can buy duty free on arrival in Norway (at the first airport you arrive at - if you transit in eg Oslo you have to buy it there as your onward flight to Bergen/Kirkenes is designated as a domestic flight.) The prices are quite reasonable & you can buy from 0.5 litre of gin or bottle or 0.375 litre of wine in screw top bottle. You can check at http://www.heinemann-dutyfree.com/bergen_en

This will save you weight in your checked baggage - your choice.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Thanks, Richard. I'm not worried about weight of my checked baggage, and if I buy locally I can get the 4 packs of wine, and the little bottles are easily opened. I have a couple of rum runners I bought but have not used, and I could put gin in them. In the end, all of this would mean less expense in Norway. Or, as I've said, I may just figure in a glass of wine at dinner into my budget.

Beth

Archived