1/20/13-1/27/13 Mariner of the Seas Review--with pictures!!

ckmommy

Final Thoughts--take with a grain of salt--my opinions only:

If you ever have the money to afford a suite--go for it the benefits are wonderful. Thanks to my parents for this gift!!

Look at shore excursions early. There are lots to choose from. If you are looking for something specific, google what you are looking for. That is how we found white water rafting in Jamaica.

You do not have to take a shore excursion--stay on the boat, take a taxi to a beach, shop in the port.

Do not be afraid of Jamaica--I know that my husband and I were a bit afraid of it. Falmouth was a wonderful port.

I think the best deals were in the upstairs section of the port shopping in Cozumel. Although--if you wanted to venture out the gates of the port in Falmouth, those would be the best deals.

Sign your kids up for the kids programs. The little ones get a lanyard--$7 value--that is worth it even if you do not use the club.

The teens loved their area. It was all for them. They felt like they had their own vacation.

Try to avoid public bathrooms

If doing my time dining ask for Lyall as your head waiter--you won't be disappointed! Tell him Amy with the party of 13 sent you.

If you are into pictures, get the CD with all the pictures on it. $179 before the cruise was well worth it--try to get in all the photos you can!!

We got the soda package. I do not think we would get it again. The Iced tea was plentiful--the water in the room from the faucet tasted just fine as well.

The ship was in good condition--the carpet was a little worn on the stars, but still in fine condition.

Enjoy looking at the art work in the stairways. Each stairwell has a different theme.

Take the stairs--the elevators took forever and stop on every floor. If you take the stairs, you will beat the elevator every time.

Watch for the sales. I did not write about this, but there are $10 t-shirt sales, $10 watch sales, $10 bag sales. They are in the promenade each night after dinner. We bought watches, and t-shirts. If you want perfume--it is a good deal on board.

Alcohol--

We bought 4 bottles--my parents took 2 bottles off the ship for us. You are allowed 1 liter per person. We saved about $50 on the alcohol we brought home--we spent $65 for 4 bottles. We found the prices to be just as good if not a little better on the ship than in the Duty free areas in port.

Family activities--

If you can, go to the family activities in the AO club. We did gaga ball, the scavenger hunt and bingo. Fun times.

Find the Granola bars in Promenade cafe!!

Get the strawberry ice cream from the self serve machine before it is all gone. They only had it on the first and last day's.

Ask the ice skaters for tips--they will love to help out

Don't be afraid to try new foods--if you do not like them ask for something else.

The corned beef in the WJ was loved by my boys--the eggs benedict was super in Chops--I think anyone can get it for breakfast in the Main dining room

Have fun and forget about reality for the week. Take naps, eat lots, do things you normally wouldn't.

Don't forget to say thank you to all the cleaning people and support crew. They are so often overlooked!

Can't wait to hear about your cruises!!

Just got off the Mariner sailing 1/27/13. Received an email a couple of days before departure delaying embarkation due to an outbreak of Norovirus. Staff were really good about wiping stuff down. While waiting in the terminal to embark staff wiped down just about anything people touched. They even wiped down the dividing line ribbons. For the first three days onboard you weren't allowed to serve yourself and asked frequently to sanitize your hands. Crew were not allowed to shake hands with passengers to help with the spread of germs. After the first three days I guess their were no incidences of Norovirus and we were allowed to serve ourselves again. Crew were constantly wiping handrails, tables, elevator buttons, etc. even after the first three days. It was a very nice time! Sad to be back home.

Someone asked about the Shows and times so here is what was on our sailing.

Sunday Jan 27, 2013

Welcome Aboard Showtime featuring Duo Enchantment and Comedy of Dan Grueter also the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers and the Mariner Orchestra

7:15 One Show only

Monday Jan 28, 2013

Ice Under the Big Top (Ice Show)

2:30 and 4:30 (Tickets went really fast so make sure you get in line around 9 am)

Center Stage

VERY good show!!

8:30 and 10:15

Tuesday Jan 29, 2013

The Unexpected Boys

Also a VERY good show!

6:30 and 8:30

Late Night Comedy with Dan Grueter

10:30

Wednesday Jan 30, 2013

Ice Under The Big Top

Love and Marriage Game Show

10:00

Thursday Jan 31, 2013

Gallery of Dreams

Not my favorite

Friday Feb 1, 2013

Ian Finkel World's Greatest Xylophonist

Somehow he ended up on the boat without his xylophone and didn't realize it until Friday so the Mickey Utley Band performed instead.

The Quest

10:15

Saturday Feb 2, 2013

Farewell Variety Showtime featuring Duo Enchantment and juggling act of Mike Price

7:15 One show only

Just got off the Mariner sailing 1/27/13. Received an email a couple of days before departure delaying embarkation due to an outbreak of Norovirus. Staff were really good about wiping stuff down. While waiting in the terminal to embark staff wiped down just about anything people touched. They even wiped down the dividing line ribbons. For the first three days onboard you weren't allowed to serve yourself and asked frequently to sanitize your hands. Crew were not allowed to shake hands with passengers to help with the spread of germs. After the first three days I guess their were no incidences of Norovirus and we were allowed to serve ourselves again. Crew were constantly wiping handrails, tables, elevator buttons, etc. even after the first three days. It was a very nice time! Sad to be back home.

Someone asked about the Shows and times so here is what was on our sailing.

Sunday Jan 27, 2013

Welcome Aboard Showtime featuring Duo Enchantment and Comedy of Dan Grueter also the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers and the Mariner Orchestra

7:15 One Show only

Monday Jan 28, 2013

Ice Under the Big Top (Ice Show)

2:30 and 4:30 (Tickets went really fast so make sure you get in line around 9 am)

Center Stage

VERY good show!!

8:30 and 10:15

Tuesday Jan 29, 2013

The Unexpected Boys

Also a VERY good show!

Late Night Comedy with Dan Grueter

10:30

Wednesday Jan 30, 2013

Ice Under The Big Top

Love and Marriage Game Show

10:00

Thursday Jan 31, 2013

Gallery of Dreams

Not my favorite

Friday Feb 1, 2013

Ian Finkel World's Greatest Xylophonist

Somehow he ended up on the boat without his xylophone and didn't realize it until Friday so the Mickey Utley Band performed instead.

The Quest

10:15

Saturday Feb 2, 2013

Farewell Variety Showtime featuring Duo Enchantment and juggling act of Mike Price

7:15 One show only

Thanks for this report! I am so glad that they got the Noro under control. I sound like from other, that by the time we got off the ship we had hit the 3% Red Alert. Nothing like a Noro outbreak!! Hoping now that we got hit with one, we will never have to deal with another one.

Heard the seas were a bit rough in Cozumel. Hope the room is not rocking too much for you tonight. I think I finally got my land legs back on Wednesday!!

The seas were very rough in Cozumel. It was cloudy and raining on Friday. My mother in law and I had an excursion to Passion Island that day. We were supposed to leave at 8:15. After we got off the ship, they told us they had pushed it back two hours and we would have to go by bus instead of boat since the seas were so rough. We ended up canceling our excursion as we didn't really want to get back around three since the ship was supposed to leave at 3:30. My husband, brother in law, and father in law did a discover scuba excursion. My husband and brother in law actually got to do part of their excursion. Their guide told them to jump in and just start swimming since the seas and current were rough. Husband ended up hitting his foot on a rock and bil messed up his toe. By that time they wouldn't let fil go. They ended up refunding all of their money so no troubles. We enjoyed our day though. Spent some time in the hot tub on the ship and then did some shopping in the port.

I'm still finding myself swaying when standing! Haven't quite got my land legs back yet:)

No that was without the tip. Although, I may have to take away my praise for Blackhorse Limo. My mom just go the bill and they charged her $299 each way. According to the the Blackhorse Limo lady the $175 was for the small limo not the stretch limo. My mom is still trying to figure this all out. Luckily she has all the contacts with her. We will see how this plays out.

That price is more in line with other limo quotes I have had in the past -- around $300 each way for 10 of us, not including the tip. That's why we've been chartering Supershuttle around $170 each way including tip, but I think 10 is the max for one Supershuttle charter.

Thanks for the great review, I am so looking forward to this trip and you have given me a lot of great information! I appreciate the info about the limo service also...still looking for the best transportation for us, thanks again..

Archived