Dion of D & D baths excursion

we3k9

Hi we just returned from our Breeze cruise, we emailed Dion and got a response that his tour leaves 45 minutes after the ship docks and he would be outside the gates to the right with a sign that said D & D. he was there and had our name on his list, we were a party of 7 and there were more people we had to wait for. we had a total of 12 in our boat that was skippered by Malcolm and there was a second boat that took another family with a bunch of little kids and two strollers over to the baths.

our boat ride was very pleasant and our boat pulled right up to the beach at devils bay where we climbed down off of the front of the boat. had a great time, enjoyed the baths, Malcolm came back for us at 1pm and again pulled the boat up to the beach and we climbed up the ladder in the back of the boat. he had a cooler with beers and sodas for us. He collected our money at the end when we docked in Tortola, very close to the ship.

Did you make it to the baths before the other ferry's (Speedy's, etc.)?

no, we saw speedys heading over they are speedy! but you also have to taxi to the baths when you use the ferry. we were late going over because

carnival let some passangers off the ship but then stopped debarkation due

to another approaching ship that had to dock, so they stopped us from getting off for aprox 30 minutes we stood in line and then when we found

dion, we still had some passangers straggling behind who we had to wait for.

the baths were crowded with lots of people coming through from the other side. we were left out at devils bay and were going through from that

direction, it was a big clog up at the ladders at tight spots. there were

people everywhere. it would have been more enjoyable if there was less of a crowd. and we couldnt really stop and pose for photos either. as people behind us were waiting to move on.

I contacted about 8 different tour operators and had no luck, either they were booked up or wayyyy out of my price range. so we just went with what they told us, which was to be outside the gate by 45 minutes after the ship docked and they would be there to the right with a sign. Our back up plan was to take the ferry and taxi, although I was very uncomfortable with that as I did not want to have to watch the time and gamble with getting a return taxi/ and ferry in time and miss our ship.

it just happened to work out great for us with Dion. and we did not have to pay till we were returned to the dock.

Cruise ship hours don't work with most of the preferred daysails and operators. If you are in port longer (9 hrs or more) try patouche and aristocat. For shorter visits the ferry to VG is recommended and there are some gorgeous beaches on Tortola aand it's a gorgeous island to tour and have a lunch on.

• 2 weeks later...

I booked with Dion for this coming Friday. We have 14 people and doing The Bath & JVD. Email response is slow..about ever 2-3 days for response. However, I was able to get confirmation. I will update once we get back!

For those who have done Dion's recently, what were the drop-off and pick-up times? We'll be there in three weeks, and we're in port from 7AM to 2:30PM EST. We'd prefer to book Dion's as opposed to taking Speedy's ferry over, but it looks like the advantage to the ferry is that we can choose a ferry time that leaves Virgin Gorda early enough to be back on the ship on time.

Can you describe the boat? Are we talking about a wild bumpy speedy ride or just a casual "boat" ride over and then back. At the point he drops you off at the beach, are there any facilities or places to grab a soda or drink? Lastly, does he drop off and pick up at the same location? Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Curious about this excursion as well. The one from the cruise line doesn't seem too enticing bc of the large crowds, time frame, etc. Apparently you get 1 hr @ the actual baths.

Is there a website for D & D??? Can't find it on google. How much ($$) per person to do this excursion?

Also- from what I understand, you have to swim from the boat to the beach area. Were you able to take camers? I would hate to go to such a wonderful place and not take any pics!!

Thanks for ANY help that ANYone can give!

yes the drop off place is where he picks you back up, and you dont have to swim to the shore, but you have to get in the water and walk, he pulls up directly to the beach at the devils bay. the boat ride is a speed type boat,

open bow so people can sit up front for a more wild bumpy ride and in the back for a smoother less bumpy ride, awesome boat ride, my crew of 6 loved the boat ride as much as the baths.

there is a concession stand

after you go to through to the other side of the baths, they have mixed drinks like painkillers and beers as well as soda and burgers and hotdogs, ice cream etc. a little booth has t shirts. the time was only one time

option, and that is 45 minutes after your ship docks and they will give you a pick up time to be back at the devils bay beach for a return ride to your ship.

Curious about this excursion as well. The one from the cruise line doesn't seem too enticing bc of the large crowds, time frame, etc. Apparently you get 1 hr @ the actual baths.

Is there a website for D & D??? Can't find it on google. How much ($$) per person to do this excursion?

Also- from what I understand, you have to swim from the boat to the beach area. Were you able to take camers? I would hate to go to such a wonderful place and not take any pics!!

Thanks for ANY help that ANYone can give!

$ 50 a person I think thats what it was, or maybe $40, Im sorry i forgot now. but we had plenty enough time to enjoy the place, and no stress about catching a ferry or taxi.

fsufsudave...even though you are a Nole, I'll help you out. :) There is an awesome restaurant at the top of the Baths! they even have a pool!

The Top of the Baths restaurant has a wading pool and the Mad Dog Cafe is nearby. There is also the Poorman's Bar on the beach that sells drinks.

If time allows I would go to the Mineshaft Cafe on the way back to Spanishtown for a lunch and the amazing panoramic view. If in a hury you can also grab pub food at the Bath & Turtle a short walk from the ferry.

Hello!

Just returned on Friday from an Oceania Cruise. I had arranged with Dion to tk us via his 35ft boat to Virgin Gorda/The Baths and JVD. We were docked there from 8am to 6pm. It was a 40 min ride out to The Baths. He beached the boat and we were able to transport bags and cameras to the beach. He then took the boat out and anchored it, and waited for us. We spent 2.5 hours there. He also provided Beer, Soda, and water. We then took a 45 min ride over to JVD. We spent 3 hours there. The water there was slightly deeper, so we made a line to move the bags over to dry land by holding over our heads. There are 2 beach bars there where we ate lunch and had awesome drinks. Again, Dion anchored the boat and waited on us to return. The boat held 14 and will hold no more. It was definitley bumpy and would not reccomend if you have back issues.Other then that it was a blast!! Dion is very soft spoken and very nice. He was fun to be with!!

Having 10 hrs in port gives you the ability to really have a nice day, it's rare to be able to hit both VG and Josts on the same boat. You must've been moving pretty good on the way to Josts!

Can't think of a better way to spend a day in the BVI for a first visit though.

Was there a min price for the boat to do this and you had enough ppl to cover that? Or how did he price it?

Thanks!

Thank you, ALL, for the quick replies to the ?'s regarding Dion.

I did send an email to them last night and hoping to get a reply bc I definitely want to book this.

Sounds like the BEST way to do the Baths. Not sure we have enough time to do both the Baths and JVD bc we are arriving on the Breeze in April.

Once again, Thanks! This sounds perfect :):)

Hello!

Just returned on Friday from an Oceania Cruise. I had arranged with Dion to tk us via his 35ft boat to Virgin Gorda/The Baths and JVD. We were docked there from 8am to 6pm. It was a 40 min ride out to The Baths. He beached the boat and we were able to transport bags and cameras to the beach. He then took the boat out and anchored it, and waited for us. We spent 2.5 hours there. He also provided Beer, Soda, and water. We then took a 45 min ride over to JVD. We spent 3 hours there. The water there was slightly deeper, so we made a line to move the bags over to dry land by holding over our heads. There are 2 beach bars there where we ate lunch and had awesome drinks. Again, Dion anchored the boat and waited on us to return. The boat held 14 and will hold no more. It was definitley bumpy and would not reccomend if you have back issues.Other then that it was a blast!! Dion is very soft spoken and very nice. He was fun to be with!!

How long were you docked? We are only there 8-3:30. Is that enough time for both? Does he have another boat just for the Bath's?

Thanks

Archived