What is Diamond Princess like?

ellie1145

We are contemplating a cruise on Diamond Princess, but the reviews on CC seem rather poor - bad food, ship a bit jaded, average service, poor entertainment (now that is not news to us, as we always thought the entertainment was pretty indifferent bordering on bad!;)).

Of course we understand that what one person likes another dislikes, but would just like to get a 'feel' for this ship before we commit.

We are a little concerned as we have always loved Princess cruises in the past and don't want to be disappointed, as this is a special cruise to celebrate my husbands 65th birthday, and to visit Changi in Singapore where his father was a prisoner of the Japanese during the war.

Edited by ellie1145

I've found that the majority of reviews, regardless of ship, tend to be negative because more people want to vent about a bad experience or something they didn't like. Few post a review that the cruise was perfect, the food fabulous, the coffee great and the beds super comfortable. I take them all with a grain of skepticism, particularly the ones that start with, "I'm never cruising Princess again." :) Every cruise has things that the most ardent fan likes or doesn't like. What one person likes, another hates. You can have two people on the same cruise with completely opposite experiences and impressions. Happens all the time.

We are contemplating a cruise on Diamond Princess, but the reviews on CC seem rather poor - bad food, ship a bit jaded, average service, poor entertainment (now that is not news to us, as we always thought the entertainment was pretty indifferent bordering on bad!;)).

Of course we understand that what one person likes another dislikes, but would just like to get a 'feel' for this ship before we commit.

We are a little concerned as we have always loved Princess cruises in the past and don't want to be disappointed, as this is a special cruise to celebrate my husbands 65th birthday, and to visit Changi in Singapore where his father was a prisoner of the Japanese during the war.

We cruised on the Diamond last month and are booked again for a March Cruise. I wouldn't listen to any of those criticisms.

We were on the Diamond for 24 nights in 2011.....loved it so much we are off on a 38 nighter next month.....

Funny.... I don't remember seeing too many negative reviews about the Diamond..... probably people with negative attitudes in the first place. I would go for it... itinerary is important too, go with a positive attitude and go with the flow, two things that ensure a wonderful cruise. :D

Happy 65th to your husband!

Thank you Pam - what a brilliant summing up - you are so right, reviews, as you say, often attract those who have something derrogatory to say, it is par for the course.

Thanks to everyone else, too, for their comments. Hope you both have wonderful cruises on Diamond.

I feel reassured!

:)

Edited by ellie1145

Thank you Pam - what a brilliant summing up - you are so right, reviews, as you say, often attract those who have something derrogatory to say, it is par for the course.

Thanks to everyone else, too, for their comments. Hope you both have wonderful cruises on Diamond.

I feel reassured!

:)

We have had quite a few cruises in the last three years on several different Ships.

Not had a bad one yet.

Life is what you make it and a Cruise holiday is no different.

Happy 65th Birthday Mate.

I have not been on the Diamond but 'Conde Nast Traveler' in its February 2013 issue rated it the 14th top large cruise ship in the world. This was based on Itineraries/Schedules, Shore Excursions, Crew/Service, Cabins, Food/Dining, Activities/Facilities, Design/Layout and Passengers. Last year it was rated 8th.

The top 20 rankings are:

1. Disney Magic

2. Disney Wonder

3. Disney Dream

4. Celebrity Eclipse

5. Celebrity Dream

6. Queen Mary 2

7. Celebrity Solstice

8. Disney Fantasy

9. Oasis of the Sea

10. Emerald Princess

11. Liberty of the Seas

12. Independence of the Seas

13. Freedom of the Seas

14. Diamond Princess

15. Star Princess

16. Allure of the Seas

17. Sapphire Princess

18. Ruby Princess

19. Golden Princess

20. Voyager of the Seas

I have sailed on 4 Princess ships-Coral, Crown, Diamond and Ruby and the Diamond is my favorite so far. Wide promenade deck, four anytime dining rooms, a great crew and Captain (Dino Sagani) and a wide-open aft deck.

Service in every area of the ship I used was exemplary. There were some standout crew members from Thailand in particular.

Food, for me, was the same as the other Princess Ships so I never went hungry.

Norris

in Chicago

I have to concur with the majority of posts, I love the Diamond and her sister ship the Sapphire.

As for the Conde Nast Traveller article, Disney might be a great line with wonderful ships but I don't cruise with kids so I wouldn't go on one of their cruises.

We sailed on the Diamond to Alaska. Was our first cruise, so I have no basis for comparison, but I found the ship beautiful and our cabin was great. Our cabin steward was not what I expected -- he kept our cabin great and all, but wasn't as personable as I had been led to expect. The food was good, not great; found pork was almost always overcooked, but given they are cooking for a crowd, they did well. I have to agree the entertainment left something to be desired, but you can't have everything. I would go back on her in a heartbeat.

I have booked Diamond Princess for November Singapore to Sydney cruise thinking that the ship was going into drydock before that so I was looking forward to a lovely refurbished ship

I understand that has been changed to 2014 now so just hoping that the ship does not look too worn or tired in November

Have been on the Diamond Princess 6 times; 5 to Alaska and once to Mexico. Loved it. Last cruise was this past August. Ship was still lovely. They may not have the newest features i.e. International Cafe or Pizza on Deck 5, but everything looked fresh and in good condition. Happy sailing.

Have been on the Diamond Princess 6 times; 5 to Alaska and once to Mexico. Loved it. Last cruise was this past August. Ship was still lovely. They may not have the newest features i.e. International Cafe or Pizza on Deck 5, but everything looked fresh and in good condition. Happy sailing.

Pity about the International Cafe, it is a great feature on some of the other ships. Are they going to add it when it goes in for a refit?

We just got home a couple weeks ago from NZ/Australia. It was truly a wonderful cruise. The ship was very comfortable, our cabin was great, with the exception of our cabin steward, every staff member was polite and helpful. There was a bit of wear and tear on some of the decor, but I imagine the dry dock planned this Spring will have her looking shiny and new by the time you embark.

I wouldn't hesitate to sail on the Diamond again.

I have not been on the Diamond but 'Conde Nast Traveler' in its February 2013 issue rated it the 14th top large cruise ship in the world. This was based on Itineraries/Schedules' date=' Shore Excursions, Crew/Service, Cabins, Food/Dining, Activities/Facilities, Design/Layout and Passengers. Last year it was rated 8th.

The top 20 rankings are:

1. Disney Magic

2. Disney Wonder

3. Disney Dream

4. Celebrity Eclipse

5. Celebrity Dream

6. Queen Mary 2

7. Celebrity Solstice

8. Disney Fantasy

9. Oasis of the Sea

10. Emerald Princess

11. Liberty of the Seas

12. Independence of the Seas

13. Freedom of the Seas

14. Diamond Princess

15. Star Princess

16. Allure of the Seas

17. Sapphire Princess

18. Ruby Princess

19. Golden Princess

20. Voyager of the Seas[/quote']

Never have liked their ratings.

Look where the Golden/Ruby are! :eek:

Will be joining the Diamond for the first time April 1st (we have been on the Dawn, Island, Caribbean and Emerald twice) so can let you know after that. Also a 65th birthday present for my husband:)

We have just returned from a 14 day cruise on the Diamond Princess and would do another cruise on this ship in a heartbeat. The three of us just loved it. The staff were wonderful and couldn't do enough for us, the food was very nice and we didn't notice any obvious evidence of real wear and tear. We were impressed by the staff and how they were always working on the upkeep of the ship in some way. We were wonderfully surprised at how great this experience was and have no hesitation in recommending a cruise on this ship. Enjoy your cruise.

:) Well, we have done it!

Booked a 10 day cruise on Diamond Princess out of Singapore on November 4th!

Thanks all for your reassurance.

We have never been to the Far East before so are very excited.

Can't wait!

Edited by ellie1145

Diamond is great.

We went on the Alaska to Beijing cruise this past fall.

Restaurant service and cabin service were perfect.

The Diamond is the currently the largest ship in the P fleet. It also has one less floor then the newer ships. The capacity is about 400 passengers less then the newer ships. It just seems less crowded. More space in the restaurant and more space in the show theater.

Have a great trip.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Billy and Charlies mum, we are joining the cruise from Sydney to Bejing that you are already on. We are really looking forward to it. We love Princess and take the criticisms with a pinch of salt, Princess is an excellent all rounder !! enjoy

• 1 month later...