Which ship and cruiseline

QUOTE=momofmeg] ........you can do the dophin encounter in Cozumel in that beach park place. I don't remember the name but I am sure someone does. It begins with a Ch. Taxis run about $10 to the place, there is a $10 admission and the dophin encounter is $95 I think.[quote

The park is Chankanaab Nat'l Marine Park, and it's great! Lots to do there. The Dolphin Encounter is $75, the Dolphin Swim is $119, and he Royal Dolphin Swim is 'way up there, like $160? Cab fare is $10 per cab, not per person, and the entry fee is $12 for adults, $6 for kids.:)

I am sorry when I said the cab ride was $10-you are right- it was for all of us. I guess I should have specified. We went in Dec. 03-at that time park admission was $10 and I was going by memory of the dolphin encounter-I just knew it was cheaper then Nassau. We did not do that there. My daughter and husband did that in Nassau in 01.

I felt the park admission was reasonable. There was a really nice beach and lawn chairs were provided in that price. Hubby snorkled there but he had brought his snorkling equipment with him.

By the way to the original post- my daughter is turning 21 this summer and she has always liked Carnival and RCCL both. She loves the disco and karaoke both and that is where you find her. She has liked all the cruiselines we have been on except for HAL-it was very subdued-had nothing geared toward young people-but then on that cruise there were only 3 teenagers and only 2 couples that were in their twenties-out of 1200 pasengers.

You being young may not even mind the crowded areas on the conquest class ships. But also being young you may love the rock climbing wall and ice skating rink that the voyager class ships on RCCL offer. We are going on Mariner of the Seas in Oct. This is a graduation present for our daughter who graduates junior college in Sept. and will have her associate's degree in a couple of things. Her pick which is why we are going. But rest assured you will have a good time no matter which ship you pick.

Sounds like the general feeling about CCL is @#@&**!&&**!**!@@@@

:D :D

Jeff

I have taken 4 cruises with them. I was unhappy with one somewhat. the only line I absolutely did not enjoy was HAL.

My problem is Caviargal goes on and on about how much better RCCL is then Carnival. I cannot see it . To me they are like coke and pepsi,very similiar only slight differances-but others can go on and on about how much better coke is then pepsi and vise versa. I guess we all think differantly.

Now I can say Princess and Disney are better lines then Carnival and RCCL both-they are like a step or 2 above. I agree more with the one post who said they did not like Carnival or RCCL but preferred RCCL SLIGHTLY over Carnival.

I guess one day I will have to try a Radience class ship and see if that is really any better. I do know it is not always the whole cruiseline I dislike but certain class ships within a cruiseline so I am willing to try that class. I am definetly well into middle age and I will say Carnival is more for the younger set. The only reason I have cruised Carnival more is the fact that I hate flying and Carnival offers more choices that I am within driving distance of. Plus we cruise with our daughter who IS young and enjoys herself very much on Carnival.

Cotton we ae still considering doing a little cruise on Holiday next year. We have not completely made up our minds but Mobile is only a 6 hour drive for us. You give such glowing reports of it and although it is an older ship I have been on older ships and had very good times.

I have taken 4 cruises with them. I was unhappy with one somewhat. the only line I absolutely did not enjoy was HAL.

My problem is Caviargal goes on and on about how much better RCCL is then Carnival. I cannot see it . To me they are like coke and pepsi,very similiar only slight differances-but others can go on and on about how much better coke is then pepsi and vise versa. I guess we all think differantly.

Now I can say Princess and Disney are better lines then Carnival and RCCL both-they are like a step or 2 above. I agree more with the one post who said they did not like Carnival or RCCL but preferred RCCL SLIGHTLY over Carnival.

I guess one day I will have to try a Radience class ship and see if that is really any better. I do know it is not always the whole cruiseline I dislike but certain class ships within a cruiseline so I am willing to try that class. I am definetly well into middle age and I will say Carnival is more for the younger set. The only reason I have cruised Carnival more is the fact that I hate flying and Carnival offers more choices that I am within driving distance of. Plus we cruise with our daughter who IS young and enjoys herself very much on Carnival.

Cotton we ae still considering doing a little cruise on Holiday next year. We have not completely made up our minds but Mobile is only a 6 hour drive for us. You give such glowing reports of it and although it is an older ship I have been on older ships and had very good times.

momofmeg: Re my going "on and on" about how much better than CCL RCI is, that is my sincere opinion and when the question is voiced, I respond. That is what this board is for. When comparisons are asked for, I make them. If you do not agree, that is most certainly your privilege.

I see the lines as apples and oranges in virtually every category. I do not drink Coke or Pepsi so cannot relate to your analogy. You think there is a small difference; I find it huge in every aspect. Perhaps I am more selective.

I also think Celebrity is better, and Princess (although I disagree that Princess is better than RCI as that was not my experience) and NCL, and even though I did not enjoy my HAL cruises, I would chose them over CCL.

Glory was a cattle car, Fantasy and Inspiration were the ugliest ships I have ever seen. Food was about quantity, not quality, and service was mediocre across the board.

I can say that, for me, CCL is simply not an option. It is not the style of cruising I enjoy.

Well now :),

I won't do RCCL again either. We had a really bad time on my first and last cruise last May. The staff, for the exception of the housekeeper and the bar staff, were very rude and I thought the food and service were aweful. I got spoiled by X,

Jeff

Sounds like the general feeling about CCL is @#@&**!&&**!**!@@@@

No, Jeff. You're SO wrong. Just a very few people like Caviargal. Why don't you jump over to the Carnival board and see for yourself what the 'general feeling' is. Or - here's a thought - take a Carnival cruise and make your own assessment. I think when a cruiseline is the largest in the world, with more REPEAT passengers per annum than any others, there MUST be a good reason for that, wouldn't you think?;)

QUOTE=caviargal]momofmeg:

Perhaps I am more selective.

That wasn't a very nice thing to say.:o

I can say that, for me, CCL is simply not an option. It is not the style of cruising I enjoy.[/quote

Not an option? And yet you still cruise (taking groups) on Carnival. If you own the agency, why not let one of your employees go in your place since you know you'll have such a miserable cruise?

You DO enjoy the commission Carnival pays you as a TA, right?

Mom, I hope y'all do that. I haven't read very many reports from unhappy Holiday cruisers. There's just something special about a smaller ship. It has a more intimate feeling, and hard to explain. She's kept up so well, and the crew is by far the friendliest I've encountered on any cruise.:)

On that happy note, I think I'll leave this thread for the rest of you....just can't tolerate anymore of 'some' of the unnecessary comments.

QUOTE=caviargal]momofmeg:

Perhaps I am more selective.

That wasn't a very nice thing to say.:o

I can say that, for me, CCL is simply not an option. It is not the style of cruising I enjoy.[/quote

Not an option? And yet you still cruise (taking groups) on Carnival. If you own the agency, why not let one of your employees go in your place since you know you'll have such a miserable cruise?

You DO enjoy the commission Carnival pays you as a TA, right?

You know, Cotton, you don't get paid for what you don't sell. CCL' s money spends the same as everyone elses. When a client is the correct profile for CCL, that is what I suggest. All of my comments re the Glory were documented and forwarded to CCL top management, as well as thank yous and kudos to the staff on board and in Miami who worked so hard. And, I am quite CCL will be happy to continue to take my money, and could care less about my personal cruising decisions. It's business, not friendship.

And, yes, for me spending my personal time and money, CCL is NOT an option. As an individual, I have the right to choose.

And, lastly, whether "not too many people like Caviargal" over on the Carnival Board, well, I am sure it won't keep me up at night.

read this on another board and thought it provided an excellent and accurate comparison.

It is not my post, but I agree with most everything in it.

"I have cruised many times. Most of those times have (starting from childhood) been toward more of what I call "high end" cruising (aka: expensive lines). Since I've had children and know that they don't always behave so well, we went to Carnival. Now that our kids are all in their teens we decided to switch to RCCL. I think both lines are fine. But there are differences and I think most of those are the result of age related perception.

As we age we become more refined and more certain of what we want. Carnival Cruise Lines is a perfect line to start with for a young or inexperienced cruiser. Usually the more disposable income you have,the more you'll dish out for exclusivity.

What I noticed first in switching from CCl to RCCL was the average age of passenger and what I "perceived" their financial status to be. It was literally the difference between shopping at Wal-Mart and Bloomingdales/Macy's.

To start with Carnival ships do not appear (to me) gaudy as others have stated but rather quirky and fun. Hey it's a vacation - and the resorts at Disney can look even crazier! So the first big difference is ship appearance. If fun,silly, and crazy are for you then Carnival's appearance is just fine. If you are starting to enjoy the good things in life and want to feel yourself in more elegant surroundings then RCCL is more to your liking. Lots of glass, brass, art & such. When it comes to aesthetics RCCL appeals to a more discriminating consumer. Does that make it better, I don't think so, just different. It's all subjective.

On Carnival it is common to see families wearing cutoff jeans to dinner and eating with teeth that could use a trip to the dentist. I don't say that to be mean or disrespectful but rather a statement to what I've seen repeatedly over time on CCL ships and it has only become more so with time as Carnival becomes more and more affordable to those with less disposable income. Everyone has the right to cruise. I hate that people refer to CCL as the Wal-Mart line but with age, money, and experience people will divide themselves into different classes.

I could feel the class consciousness at work on my recent RCCL cruise aboard the Mariner. I frequently heard people discussing how their cabins were so much better than those of others and what they even paid for their trips. I noticed a level of snootiness amongst some passengers on decks above ours. I've never experienced this type of behaviour on more expensive cruise lines. We found it amusing though. We also noted that people aboard RCCL complain...a lot, and about anything and everything. The complaint line at customer relations always seemed maxed out. One evening we passed a very well dressed woman in the hallway complaining to someone from room service saying she wanted 4 more pillows in her stateroom immediately. She was very rude and tried to intimidate the employee with her Crown & Anchor and cruise message board affiliation. I was very saddened to see and hear her. But we noticed a lot of this behaviour aboard RCCL. People were unfair & demanding. Just because you've paid more does not entitle you to a better experience than someone else. More ammenities yes.

The above sounds a bit negative and I don't mean for it to because RCCL did a fab job during our cruise. I liked RCCL because I felt like I had more in common with my fellow cruisers. I am used to having a nice life, I care about how we look, what we wear, and how we behave. I felt I was aboard a ship with other people who had an education. Onboard Carnival I frequently felt that I were with a high school grad crowd only, people who perhaps had never left their hometown. Not that that's bad but I tend to prefer people with more life experience. So on a social level I feel our family fit in better with RCCL than Carnival, at least at this point in our lives.

Carnival appeals more to younger children. They didn't have much available for tweens & teens the last time we were aboard. What they did have for kids was spectacular though. There were not many young children aboard the Mariner and the few we did see were always part of Adventure Ocean and they sort of seemed bored. Teens were pretty interactive, especially males. There are a lot of activities for teens (at RCCL) but they're at that funny age where they think all that organized stuff is pretty lame. So much of the facilities and activities are underutilized by that age group.For people who don't have access to rollerblading, rock climbing, ice skating,or mini golf these may very well be once in a lifetime opportunities and that's what makes RCCL such a good sell.

Cabins. I don't think RCCl can compare to Carnival in stateroom size and storage. If this is a critical thing for you then stick to Carnival. The room's layout didn't make good sense to us. It's better and roomier to keep your twin beds apart than it is to have them made up as one king size bed, it's more difficult to get around. Yet the room was much prettier than Carnival's from an interior decorating standpoint. Carnival also has real beds and RCCL does not, it's a glorified cot and if you have a bad back then buyer beware. You'll need a backup plan. I've had disc surgery in the past and I'm still feeling the pain from that cot and I've been off the ship nearing a week.

Cruise Directors and entertainment are similar on both lines. The CD & entertainment will change frequently on the ship because contracts run out. So who you see and like right now may not mean didly to someone cruising the same ship/line 1-6 months from now. I have to say I liked Carnival's entertainment a bit more because it's more Vegas-like in content. Showgirls, feathers and stuff. But entertainment and cruiseboard games and such are all the same for these two cruise lines.

The biggest difference between the two lines for us was that the passengers aboard RCCL came off as educated, wealthier, and more mannerly than those on Carnival - generally speaking. On Carnival you will see and hear it all. Kids cursing like they were at the mall, etc. We did not see any of that on RCCL. For the most part RCCL guests acted like they were at a nice resort, which they were! On Carnival people tend to treat the ship and others as if they were still in their own back yard and not on a fabulaous vacation where they needed to be nice and polite to others. People aboard the Mariner did what they were told for dinner - if it was smart casual night they dressed appropriately. On Carnival if the people want to wear their jeans that night they will and they won't be turned away. I liked that a lot about RCCL. If I'm on a cruise I want to act like I'm on one. I want to feel like it's an event and I don't want to spend 3 hours getting ready for dinner, feeling glam and gorgeous all to show up at a table where Bubba has shown up in jeans...again.

So basically it gets down to this: Carnival = casual (think camping) 24/7 while RCCL = Casual during the day and dressed at night.

If you're a food person Carnival makes food a much bigger deal/event than RCCL. Food is everywhere all the time, midnight buffets like crazy. It's hard to get food with RCCL at night. Options are severely limited and they only have one Gala Buffet at the end of the week. If you're used to Carnival then switching to RCCL will feel odd. We felt as if the ship layout on the Mariner didn't flow correctly, things are in places that don't make sense, like Portofino & Chops Grille being located outside the free for all Windjammer. They should be down on the Promenade, not sure who thought up that plan. Why would you want to pay extra to go up to the main eating area where everyone is passing by you in flip flops & shorts. Sure a glass door separates one side from the other but it's still there...http://messages.cruisecritic.com/im...es/confused.gif that concept didn't win us over. It was a bit like going into a Chanel boutique attached to a Target."

I really do think that was an excellent post. But people get in a big habit of trying to generalize, very broadly for that matter.

Each cruise line is different. Within each cruise line itself there are different ships offering different levels of service and experience. WHERE they depart from and or the itinerary often determines the overall 'demeaner' for lack of a better word, of the people cruising the ships. The Texas ports are well used by Texas people so it is common sense that those cruise ships often have a Texas flavor and attitude to them, etc.

Smaller, older ships can have less experienced staff. They are frequently traveled by the younger set or those on a strict budget and sometimes you will see behavior in keeping with the auditions for Animal House. If it's not your thing best to try something else!

Live and learn.

Since all cruise ships are really small floating cities you will certainly encounter people of all kinds and some will certainly rub you the wrong way, just like they would if you were at home. We all do our best to have a happy vacation around such unpleasantries and not let it get to us.

Variety is the spice of life and the variety is offered so that there will be something for everyone out there. As long as you're cruising I think you are way ahead of the game, regardless of what line you choose to book.

I still stand by the happiest cruisers are the ones who do the research to match the cruise with their lifestyle, interests and budget.

momofmeg: Re my going "on and on" about how much better than CCL RCI is, that is my sincere opinion and when the question is voiced, I respond. That is what this board is for. When comparisons are asked for, I make them. If you do not agree, that is most certainly your privilege.

I see the lines as apples and oranges in virtually every category. I do not drink Coke or Pepsi so cannot relate to your analogy. You think there is a small difference; I find it huge in every aspect. Perhaps I am more selective.

I also think Celebrity is better, and Princess (although I disagree that Princess is better than RCI as that was not my experience) and NCL, and even though I did not enjoy my HAL cruises, I would chose them over CCL.

Glory was a cattle car, Fantasy and Inspiration were the ugliest ships I have ever seen. Food was about quantity, not quality, and service was mediocre across the board.

I can say that, for me, CCL is simply not an option. It is not the style of cruising I enjoy.

Well you come off sounding very prejudiced against Carnival whenever you post over on this board and on the fashion board. I say this because you NEVER say anything good about Carnival and Carnival is not all bad. Now I have noticed when reading your posts on the Carnival board you tone down your posts. I assume you do that there because you know you are among Carnival fans. As I said they are not my favorite line and I have said why.

Another thing too-I thought I would just mention-I often eat in the dinningroom at lunch and I too go more for the salads. I have diabetes and watch my carb intake. I have had very good success eating in the dinningroom at lunch as opposed to the lido. It is usually fairly quick too-not as drawn out as dinner is. So next time if you find the lido crowded (which has happened to me on other lines not just Carnival)- try that. If no salad if listed on the menu for the meal I just ask them to bring me a larger salad starter and explain I want this for my meal- I have done this no matter what line I am on and never had a problem. Also if you have not enough time for that you could try room service.

Anyway I am not trying to put you on the denfensive or anything-I am just letting you know how your posts come across.

Well now :),

I won't do RCCL again either. We had a really bad time on my first and last cruise last May. The staff, for the exception of the housekeeper and the bar staff, were very rude and I thought the food and service were aweful. I got spoiled by X,

Jeff

I want to try Celebrity sometime myself. I know they are owned by the same company as RCCL but I hope they will be better. My experience with Carnival and RCCL are they are both good values for what they offer but neither are great for sure.

read this on another board and thought it provided an excellent and accurate comparison.

It is not my post, but I agree with most everything in it.

"I have cruised many times. Most of those times have (starting from childhood) been toward more of what I call "high end" cruising (aka: expensive lines). Since I've had children and know that they don't always behave so well, we went to Carnival. Now that our kids are all in their teens we decided to switch to RCCL. I think both lines are fine. But there are differences and I think most of those are the result of age related perception.

As we age we become more refined and more certain of what we want. Carnival Cruise Lines is a perfect line to start with for a young or inexperienced cruiser. Usually the more disposable income you have,the more you'll dish out for exclusivity.

What I noticed first in switching from CCl to RCCL was the average age of passenger and what I "perceived" their financial status to be. It was literally the difference between shopping at Wal-Mart and Bloomingdales/Macy's.

To start with Carnival ships do not appear (to me) gaudy as others have stated but rather quirky and fun. Hey it's a vacation - and the resorts at Disney can look even crazier! So the first big difference is ship appearance. If fun,silly, and crazy are for you then Carnival's appearance is just fine. If you are starting to enjoy the good things in life and want to feel yourself in more elegant surroundings then RCCL is more to your liking. Lots of glass, brass, art & such. When it comes to aesthetics RCCL appeals to a more discriminating consumer. Does that make it better, I don't think so, just different. It's all subjective.

On Carnival it is common to see families wearing cutoff jeans to dinner and eating with teeth that could use a trip to the dentist. I don't say that to be mean or disrespectful but rather a statement to what I've seen repeatedly over time on CCL ships and it has only become more so with time as Carnival becomes more and more affordable to those with less disposable income. Everyone has the right to cruise. I hate that people refer to CCL as the Wal-Mart line but with age, money, and experience people will divide themselves into different classes.

I could feel the class consciousness at work on my recent RCCL cruise aboard the Mariner. I frequently heard people discussing how their cabins were so much better than those of others and what they even paid for their trips. I noticed a level of snootiness amongst some passengers on decks above ours. I've never experienced this type of behaviour on more expensive cruise lines. We found it amusing though. We also noted that people aboard RCCL complain...a lot, and about anything and everything. The complaint line at customer relations always seemed maxed out. One evening we passed a very well dressed woman in the hallway complaining to someone from room service saying she wanted 4 more pillows in her stateroom immediately. She was very rude and tried to intimidate the employee with her Crown & Anchor and cruise message board affiliation. I was very saddened to see and hear her. But we noticed a lot of this behaviour aboard RCCL. People were unfair & demanding. Just because you've paid more does not entitle you to a better experience than someone else. More ammenities yes.

The above sounds a bit negative and I don't mean for it to because RCCL did a fab job during our cruise. I liked RCCL because I felt like I had more in common with my fellow cruisers. I am used to having a nice life, I care about how we look, what we wear, and how we behave. I felt I was aboard a ship with other people who had an education. Onboard Carnival I frequently felt that I were with a high school grad crowd only, people who perhaps had never left their hometown. Not that that's bad but I tend to prefer people with more life experience. So on a social level I feel our family fit in better with RCCL than Carnival, at least at this point in our lives.

Carnival appeals more to younger children. They didn't have much available for tweens & teens the last time we were aboard. What they did have for kids was spectacular though. There were not many young children aboard the Mariner and the few we did see were always part of Adventure Ocean and they sort of seemed bored. Teens were pretty interactive, especially males. There are a lot of activities for teens (at RCCL) but they're at that funny age where they think all that organized stuff is pretty lame. So much of the facilities and activities are underutilized by that age group.For people who don't have access to rollerblading, rock climbing, ice skating,or mini golf these may very well be once in a lifetime opportunities and that's what makes RCCL such a good sell.

Cabins. I don't think RCCl can compare to Carnival in stateroom size and storage. If this is a critical thing for you then stick to Carnival. The room's layout didn't make good sense to us. It's better and roomier to keep your twin beds apart than it is to have them made up as one king size bed, it's more difficult to get around. Yet the room was much prettier than Carnival's from an interior decorating standpoint. Carnival also has real beds and RCCL does not, it's a glorified cot and if you have a bad back then buyer beware. You'll need a backup plan. I've had disc surgery in the past and I'm still feeling the pain from that cot and I've been off the ship nearing a week.

Cruise Directors and entertainment are similar on both lines. The CD & entertainment will change frequently on the ship because contracts run out. So who you see and like right now may not mean didly to someone cruising the same ship/line 1-6 months from now. I have to say I liked Carnival's entertainment a bit more because it's more Vegas-like in content. Showgirls, feathers and stuff. But entertainment and cruiseboard games and such are all the same for these two cruise lines.

The biggest difference between the two lines for us was that the passengers aboard RCCL came off as educated, wealthier, and more mannerly than those on Carnival - generally speaking. On Carnival you will see and hear it all. Kids cursing like they were at the mall, etc. We did not see any of that on RCCL. For the most part RCCL guests acted like they were at a nice resort, which they were! On Carnival people tend to treat the ship and others as if they were still in their own back yard and not on a fabulaous vacation where they needed to be nice and polite to others. People aboard the Mariner did what they were told for dinner - if it was smart casual night they dressed appropriately. On Carnival if the people want to wear their jeans that night they will and they won't be turned away. I liked that a lot about RCCL. If I'm on a cruise I want to act like I'm on one. I want to feel like it's an event and I don't want to spend 3 hours getting ready for dinner, feeling glam and gorgeous all to show up at a table where Bubba has shown up in jeans...again.

So basically it gets down to this: Carnival = casual (think camping) 24/7 while RCCL = Casual during the day and dressed at night.

If you're a food person Carnival makes food a much bigger deal/event than RCCL. Food is everywhere all the time, midnight buffets like crazy. It's hard to get food with RCCL at night. Options are severely limited and they only have one Gala Buffet at the end of the week. If you're used to Carnival then switching to RCCL will feel odd. We felt as if the ship layout on the Mariner didn't flow correctly, things are in places that don't make sense, like Portofino & Chops Grille being located outside the free for all Windjammer. They should be down on the Promenade, not sure who thought up that plan. Why would you want to pay extra to go up to the main eating area where everyone is passing by you in flip flops & shorts. Sure a glass door separates one side from the other but it's still there...http://messages.cruisecritic.com/im...es/confused.gif that concept didn't win us over. It was a bit like going into a Chanel boutique attached to a Target."

Cavier gal I did find this a very good post. But notice a couple of things. This person was very objective. She or he told both good and bad things about BOTH lines but then went on to say why she/he preferred RCCL. If you would do this you would not ruffle people's feathers.

This is the kind of objective post people who have never cruised are looking for- not the cruiseline loyalist propanganda so many here spout.

I have to mostly agree with Cav's quote there. I just know I would not be comfortable on CCL. The food and dining experience is important to me. That is why I didn't care for RCCL. Carnival and RCCL make such a hoopla at Dinner time, it was madening. I look forward to nice, quiet, good meals. I almost went out of my mind on RCCL when they blasted throught the dining room with a megaphone with a ton of kids in tow, singing and yelling. The waiters doing a song and dance while I am trying to eat. I don't like sitting in a 3 ring circus while dining. Sorry. Not for me or the others I cruise with. I like the elegance of dressing for dinner and the nice atmosphere of a fine dining resturant. If I want uproar, I will eat at Chuckie Cheese.

I know it sounds snobbish, but so be it. I am far from rich, but I am comfortable. And the Pax on Celebrity, for the most part, are that.They can present themselves with grace and dignity and are by far, more open minded than CCL. I have seen it. It truly is a different mindset from the 2 different cruise lines.

Again, this IMOHO

Cya

Jeff

I have to mostly agree with Cav's quote there. I just know I would not be comfortable on CCL. The food and dining experience is important to me. That is why I didn't care for RCCL. Carnival and RCCL make such a hoopla at Dinner time, it was madening. I look forward to nice, quiet, good meals. I almost went out of my mind on RCCL when they blasted throught the dining room with a megaphone with a ton of kids in tow, singing and yelling. The waiters doing a song and dance while I am trying to eat. I don't like sitting in a 3 ring circus while dining. Sorry. Not for me or the others I cruise with. I like the elegance of dressing for dinner and the nice atmosphere of a fine dining resturant. If I want uproar, I will eat at Chuckie Cheese.

I know it sounds snobbish, but so be it. I am far from rich, but I am comfortable. And the Pax on Celebrity, for the most part, are that.They can present themselves with grace and dignity and are by far, more open minded than CCL. I have seen it. It truly is a different mindset from the 2 different cruise lines.

Again, this IMOHO

Jeff you made me laugh about Chuckie cheese's. My Meg turns 21 next month so it has been a BLESSED ten years since I have had to endure that.

But I think that is the point. Both Carnival and RCCL attracts more of the young people and young familes type cruisers. The dinningroom "circus shows" are more for the young kids. They do like that stuff and my daughter as a teenager loved doing the congo with everyone. I remember when she was around 15 her having a ball do the "macarena" with our very handsome young waiter on Sovereign of the Seas. And ofcourse her Dad and I also enjoyed it very much her having such a wonderful time and you can bet that waiter got a much better tip then normal from us.

But the last time we were on a Carnival cruise, Meg was older and was not "into" the silly "circus shows" so hubby and I did not enjoy them so much either. and to tell you the truth-although we have only done one Princess cruise-we did not miss the circus shows or the baloon animals that CCL and RCCL are so famous for.

Thanks MOM,

Glad I gave you a laugh :). It really is a personal preference. We don't need constant activity like bar crawls, hairy chest contests, scavenger hunt and on and on. I must be getting old :D. But I know I was like this as a teenager. Never got into that hoopla. My mother always told me I was a little old man in a kids body when I was growing up :D.

Talk to ya

Jeff

Cavier gal I did find this a very good post. But notice a couple of things. This person was very objective. She or he told both good and bad things about BOTH lines but then went on to say why she/he preferred RCCL. If you would do this you would not ruffle people's feathers.

This is the kind of objective post people who have never cruised are looking for- not the cruiseline loyalist propanganda so many here spout.

momofmeg, if you had read my Glory review you would perhaps see that I can be objective, or at least that was the feedback from the Carnival message board regulars who read my full review. I do not censor my comments on the Carnival board, I simply get tired of being flamed, which any negative comment engenders on that board more than others. Also, there were good points to the Glory which I point out when appropriate.

I think you are confusing objective opinions with personal taste. These are different, IMO.

Yes, there were good and bad things on my Glory cruise and I detailed them all. Would I choose Carnival for my personal vacation after my three sailings with them over the past 8 years? No, but this is a different question. Carnivals's cruising style is very far away from what I personally enjoy and, as a passenger, I did not enjoy my Glory cruise.

Thanks MOM,

Glad I gave you a laugh :). It really is a personal preference. We don't need constant activity like bar crawls, hairy chest contests, scavenger hunt and on and on. I must be getting old :D. But I know I was like this as a teenager. Never got into that hoopla. My mother always told me I was a little old man in a kids body when I was growing up :D.

Talk to ya

Jeff

Well I have NEVER attended the hairy chest and stuff your bikini contests on Carnival. That has NEVER been my thing but I do know on our Inspiration cruise in which we went with friends that they loved all that-but it was his first cruise and she had not cruise in like 15 years.

I had wanted to go on the Grand Princess that cruise we found a super deal-we could have had a balcony for $700 a person but our friends did not like the ports it had. they wanted to go to Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Belize and I do not remember which but the Grand Princess did not go to all 3 ports but Inpiration did. (this was in Dec. 03)

Back to things you hate that are so stupid on cruiseships-I also despise the "not so newly wed game"-I have seen that on several cruiselines and what is so sad is it is always the same stupid questions. At first I will admit I liked it and would go my first few cruises-but it got so predictable and it is like isn't anyone SMART enough to think up some NEW questions? I think I would still enjoy that game if I did not already know all the questions they would ask.

Hi Mom,

The newly wed game does get old. You're right..same dumb questions, same dumb answers.

They do some pool games on X, but it usually volley ball against the crew or the pool olympics. It's ok to watch. Passes some time and you do get a few laughs. Me personally, I like the Black Jack tournys. I won last cruise. It was a nice chunk of change.Otherwise we vegitate by the pool :).

Cya

Jeff

Archived