9 Hours in Colon with 3 Young Kids

globalhoneymooning

We're doing a full transit in April and stopping in Colon for 9 hours. We will be travelling with 3 children ages 5 and under. I checked a number of the ship tours and most have age requirements we don't meet. We are very interested in seeing as much of the canal, Gaillard Cut, etc as possible. The Fort sounds interesting too. Any recommendations for private tours?

I'll also add the kids have been on day long tours before (Egypt, Alaska, etc) and we frequently do local outings so we are not concerned about that aspect.

Also, if have not done so already, check out the "Roll Call" section of Cruise Critic. There may be people from your cruise organizing private tours and you could either join them or find a tour guide from there that could accommodate you.

• 1 month later...

I'll warn you that it's going to be extremely hot and humid in Panama in April. (It certainly was during our April visit!) And you might expect an afternoon rain shower.

I imagine the original poster has already arranged for a private tour (although I would have advised against taking children under the age of 5 on an all-day tour in Panama in April.)

On the other hand, Nicola, I can see that your older kids COULD appreciate some aspects of Panama. Just make sure that they are prepared for the heat and humidity with LOTS of water and a cloth to wipe their faces. (I was constantly wiping the sweat out of my eyes.)

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to come back and give an update for others that are planning.

We ended up doing a private tour with My Friend Mario (Mario #3 was our guide) and it was one of our favorite tours of the cruise. We walked through the rainforest and saw many monkeys and varieties of birds, insects and plants. We also made a few stops to see iguanas and monkeys along the roads. We visited San Lorenzo Fort, enjoyed sweet, juicy watermelon and pineapple and ended our day watching the last ship of the day go through the Gatun Locks. We also drive by the construction of the new locks. Yes, it was hot but we expected that. Mario #3 was excellent. He was knowledgeable in the flora and fauna of Panama, as well as, the history. Great port, not to be missed.

Archived