VB private tour tip?? Going solo $20 good or should be more?

PBC29

Yep I'm solo - rather do private tour than group tour due to no interest in 2hrs at a beach and don't want to risk making others mad about taking afew extra minutes getting in an out of the vehicles. ( I'm in a wheelchair) Our ship is only in port from 8am-2pm (figure slow getting off and back atleast 1/2 hour early gives roughly 5hours - group tours as listed are 4hr 45min.

Ship tour that doesn't include beach time sold out already.

One person $ 80

Two people $ 40 each

Three people $ 30 each

Four people or more $ 25 each

Both Rony's an Bodden tours quoted $80 for a solo - abit expensive but better than staying on the ship or just hanging out in the cruiseline made port shops area. Especially when we'll also be going to Grand cayman and sometimes the captain won't let people in chairs/scooters off due to tender/weather issues. (happened twice before)

A 15% tip on an $80 tour is $12; $15 would be a good tip, $20 would be great.

My driver was Carlos Raudales and his phone number is 9784-8320. He gave us his card and phone number after our day at West Bay beach. Ronys and Victor Bodden are basically just the broker/middleman of the tour business in Roatan. They're sending us out with a driver, they couldn't possibly drive everyone personally.

I think you'll be fine once you find a driver. Our drive to West Bay beach was quite long, at least 30 minutes and it was nice to get out and see some of the area outside the Mahogany Bay compound.

My friend and I did a private tour with VB and paid $40 each so your solo tour at $80 is what I would expect. I think you will find that it isn't really that expensive for what you get. I ship's tour for about 4-5 hours with lots of people would cost you that much. With VB's tours you really can decide what you want to do, for how long, etc. It is 100% up to you to decide what you want to do.

My friend and I each tipped $20 to our driver because our experience was amazing. So, yes $20 would be a great tip. No need for more unless you feel so inclined. If your tour is just good and not excellent it would be just fine to tip 15% which would be $12.00. I would let your experience that day determine your tip.

Have you thought about what you might want to do? Have you requested a specific guide or are you waiting to see who you will be assigned? We loved, loved, loved Roatan. So much, that both my friend and I talk often about retiring there.

Your driver may earn a bigger tip depending on how much assistance he provides getting you in/out of the van, not to mention helping get past any obstacles during your tour. I see vans pictured on VBs website. Hope you are able to find enough accessible to make your tour most enjoyable.

Don't just bring a $20 bill. Maybe 3 $5s, and 5 $1s. That way you can determine on the go how much you want to tip, and will have the correct change.

Holy smokes.....really ? Not trying to offend but.......

I don't think she is worried about a dollar or two...... more she was asking if this would be enough of a tip. She is a SOLO traveler with mobility issues. She will be taking her wheelchair with her and the driver will undoubtedly be helping her throughout the day......

I have seen tourists in Europe figure a tip so precisely based on a percentage that they spent a lot of time figuring and then digging for the right coins - :eek:

Just sayin'

We tipped a driver in India 50% last year.. yes the guy was that good. Course he was with us for 12 days.

I think it will all depend in just how much the driver helps and how comfy you are. If you can afford it and the guy is worth it..feel free to share the wealth. :0)

On a side note, I would have to be very disappointed not to tip at least 15%

We tipped a driver in India 50% last year.. yes the guy was that good. Course he was with us for 12 days.

Yep, we tipped our guide in Egypt (he was pretty much either with us or available for 15 days) a couple of hundred dollars ..... and yes he was worth every penny !

Most guides are paid ok wages, but their real income comes from tips !

If you are given great service than a great tip is in order. Of course, on the other hand a bare minimum guide gets a bare minimum tip. BUT we have been very lucky in getting great guides !

Archived