McKinley Summit Flights...Coupon

Hate 2 W8t

Does anyone know why the toursaver coupon for both of the summit flight companies in Talkeetna expire before the end of the season? Specifically, 8/31 and 9/1?

At first, I thought maybe the weather starts to change and we wouldn't be able to go at all. So, I called both companies and both replied that yes, the coupons do expire, and yes, we would have to pay the full rate for both of us to take the flight. Not even an 'off-season' special like I have seen mentioned in most tour books (i.e. Frommers).

This seems strange to me. I understand they have the right to honor specials and coupons when they want, but why would they do this to people traveling a few days later than the coupon expiration date? They honor the coupon for the earliest flights of the season, and all the way through the peak-season, but not the last two weeks?

I am just glad I noticed the expiration date BEFORE I purchased the book. Without this tour, I probably wouldn't even make up the price of it. I hope no one else has missed this detail. Another case of "buyer beware" or "buyer be-aware".

This has been the case for the past few years, some coupons expire early Sept. Your post is very valuable in reminding people to be AWARE of all the coupon restrictions. Myself, I have used the coupon book for several years and always verify the limitations, some also have days voided out. I make my plans and adjust my days if needed, like this year, doing the flight on the way "up" Parks to Fairbanks rather than on the return which is after Sept. 1.

Alaska isn't the place to expect tour discounts without the coupons. Lodging rates can and do drop, but not as considerable or as soon compared to several years ago. Alaska travel has just exploded. :)

For clairfication- there is ONLY ONE vender for the summit flight- Talkeetna Aero, Talkeetna Air Taxi, books all their summit flights on them.

K2 Aviation (akin to Rust's Flying Service) also does a summit flight. After checking all the options, we did the "Peak Dodger tour" through Doug Geeting Aviation, also in Talkeetna. We included a glacier landing at the climbing base camp (Kahiltna Glacier), which was spectacular. I cannot imagine the summit flights being any better, except possibly on a completely clear day. Due to using the larger craft, glacier landings are not done on summit flights.

Also, Geeting offers $25 off per person through an ad in the Anchorage CVB book.

My reference for the summit vender pertained only between the two listed who have the toursaver coupons. Sorry for the unclear reference. As an add- one of the K2 pilots has a dog kennel and ran in the Iditrod. A very interesting man who just packed up everything and moved to Alaska. :)

Archived