dinner attire & sunscreen

I'm taking my first cruise in August. It's a 7 day cruise to the Western Caribbean on the Caribbean Princess (Princess Cruise Lines). My question is about the formal dinners. What do women wear to these things? I looked at the cruise lines rentals for ideas and those outfits are just not for me. Would a formal floor length gown be appropriate? I'm afraid it might look too much like I'm going to a high school prom. Do people dress like that?

Also, the cruise website said something about biodegradable sunscreen only. I didn't understand if that's just for certain beaches or for the boat and everything. Does anyone know where to buy biodegradable sunscreen? Thanks for any help you can give me.

I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that you are serious.

Check you cruise line website - all the information you need regarding approprate attire is posted there. This is directly form the Princess site:

When you're in port, evening dress is casual, slacks, sweaters, blouses, open-neck shirts, etc. are typically worn. Shorts, cut-off T-shirts, "torn" jeans and bare feet are not permitted in the dining room. We only have formal and smart casual. Tuxedo rental can be arranged prior to the cruise on certain itineraries. On formal nights, ladies prefer evening gowns or cocktail dresses and men turn out in tuxedos, dinner jackets, or dark suits. See the chart for general dress code schedule.

:rolleyes:

As far as sunscreen - they are surely referring to the preferred type to use in the ships pools. But people obviously use whatever they want. I wouldn't even give that a second thought.

Hi, welcome to Cruise Critic

Yes, this formal stuff is really serious. Many people really do get all dressed up in gowns and tuxedos when on cruises. There are usually 2 formal evenings per week on a cruise ship. The dinners are special and the dining room decorated. People dress up and everyone is sparkly and beautiful.

It is realy not like a prom. It is more like an elegant evening. There is no loud music. It is very gracious and refined. You may find you will enjoy the experience. If you wear a gown, I promise you will fit right in.

My avitar is a picture of my husband and myself on formal night.(at least as of 6/05)

Linda

Bullfrog sunscreen is an excellent choice as a biodegradable sunscreen. Because the gel is alcohol based and not petroleum based as are most sunscreens, it doesn't leave an 'oil slick' on the water which pollutes the ocean.

No ocean parks in Mexico permit anything but biodegradable sunscreen.

The upside is Bullfrog is hands down the best sunscreen on the market. Waterproof and sweatproof for 8 hours even in salt water. SPF 36 for the gel.

Go here for the latest 2005 Princess Cruise Answer Book to find answers to questions such as these... http://www.princess.com/onboard/answer/ You can search on the site or download the book as a PDF file so you can print and read at your leisure. This is the book that is provided with your pre-cruise documents. Page 2 and 6 provides the answer to the OP's question and states "No Jeans allowed in the dining rooms during dinner".. This corrected the mistake in some of the brochures that said "torn jeans"..

Archived