Cruising, Packing, and a Mop..

Realblonde474

I used to be like this but now we run two businesses and work all hours, most weeks 6 or even 7 days a week, I am just so glad to be running out the door to get to the terminal. Cleaning the (large) house , mopping the floors and changing beds is the last thing on my mind! (I suppose I could have done this instead of "playing" in my cruise room" the nights before hand).

We do run the dishwasher, clear out the fridge and make sure there is not a lot of dirty laundry but that is about it. Oh and DH does the pool the day before we go.:D

No you're not the only one who cleans before leaving. I also clean the house and then I read the riot act to my adult son who's staying st the house while we're gone. He is straight up told that I expect the house in the same shape or cleaner than when I left. Usually it's kept clean enough

I just really dislike coming home to a less than clean house so we clean a few days before. Not a super deep clean but we make sure everything is tidy, cleaned out fridge and clean kitchen, clean bathrooms, floors swept and washed, beds all made, etc. The cat stays home but the dog goes on his own vacation so all we have to do is toss the litter and such.

My last week before ANY vacation goes like this:

Day 1 clean & start using up all perishables

Day 2 same

Day 3 same but complete using perishables or trash

Day 4 get nails & toes done, eat dinner out

Day 5 pack, eat dinner out

As we leave I generally turn on the dishwasher.

ONE time I had a nail/toe appt on packing day. I left my DH to pack. Had to TOTALLY redo when I got home as in spite of my having 2 separate piles so he could cross pack & telling him why and to do it in 2 cases he did NOT.

I ALWAYS cross pack if we are traveling by air and/or going on a cruise. we have (cross fingers) NEVER had any luggage misplaced on our way to ouyr detination. Did have one get misplaced on the way home once. Airline found it & wanted us to come pick it up. Told them NO WAY did I have the time to go running out to the airport. They did deliver it by cab at no charge.

My mother used to say, "You kids make the house such a mess, if a burglar came in, he would think someone had beaten him to it."

So I would think--"and your point is...?"

Other than laundry and using up/cleaning out perishables, no, we don't do a special cleaning. If I find myself doing that, I'm probably avoiding something I really need to do.

I will do a little cleaning and make sure the laundry is done. I have someone come in once every 2 weeks and clean floors, bathrooms and some other light cleaning. Just so happens she is scheduled to come the day we leave so my son had better keep it clean!

My last week before ANY vacation goes like this:

As we leave I generally turn on the dishwasher.

That would scare me. Water lines can break (ice maker, washer, water softener system, dishwasher) We turn off the water to all those before going on a trip. Guess you couldn't turn it off but a friend's hot water heater broke (just defective, no weather problem) and flooded their house.

Same here, no way would I do that. My neighbor across the street had a water heater fail while she was gone for a week. She came home to a flooded house and ruined carpet and furniture. The people living in there now recently found a major mold issue in their kitchen area. They didn't know about the flood and it happened about 20 years ago.

It would be too easy to post a silly comment about men and their aim (hence that's why you dear sir get the toilets) but I am a Southern woman and we don't tease about things like that.....:p

Tell him Donna!!

I threatened my husband with this that I saw on Pinterest!

6d6b9a9802416d69a2e195218bd686ee.jpg

For some reason, I find myself cleaning things I would not normally worry about and takes more time than I should be spending on cleaning!:eek:

Maybe just nervous energy looking for somewhere to go!:D I'm not going for another two and a half weeks and I'm already looking for things to do with my excitement energy! :o

Forgive me, but I had to post this silly question here because mainly women are on this group and maybe you won't think that I am too crazy!

Does anyone else CLEAN like a mad woman BEFORE they leave for a trip?

Yes, I have packing to do, Yes, I have work projects to wrap up and we are starting our drive down to Ft. Lauderdale in about six hours...

BUT what am I doing: mopping the kitchen floor and changing the sheets on the bed!!!

My ex and current think that I am crazy but I can't leave the house dirty or things UNDONE before I travel..

Does anyone else have this little compulsion or am I the only one?

Donna

I do the same thing! It's kind of ridiculous isn't it?

Oh Yeah , I clean like crazy before we go on any vacation , just can't help it , I have to have a clean house to come home to. My kids (all grown) don't get it, they think I am nuts, but I still want everything clean when I leave. Anyway ,when you get home you always have a lot of laundry to do , who needs to have to clean too.
Cori

Archived